Sponsored

All it took was 600 mi to get the check engine light on

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
Which sensor connector is it? I can seal my own before the issue pops up. This is clearly going to be an issue. Is it the one visible through the gill in front of the air shutters?
Sponsored

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
Which sensor connector is it? I can seal my own before the issue pops up. This is clearly going to be an issue. Is it the one visible through the gill in front of the air shutters?
I don't think we really know at this point. I think the one in the grill is just the ambient air temp displayed on your screen inside the truck. That shutter assembly is buried pretty good under coolant tanks and various trim pieces. It's hard to see much without removing stuff.

CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium and 2007 Sequioa LTD
I don't think we really know at this point. I think the one in the grill is just the ambient air temp displayed on your screen inside the truck. That shutter assembly is buried pretty good under coolant tanks and various trim pieces. It's hard to see much without removing stuff.
My guess is that they are using that sensor as it most likely measures the ambient air temperature and the shutter is activated by the ambient temperature. I have yet to see my shutter close, I remote start and check to see if it closes and it doesn't so perhaps the truck needs to start moving. I'm thinking of mounting a go pro so i can confirm.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My guess is that they are using that sensor as it most likely measures the ambient air temperature and the shutter is activated by the ambient temperature. I have yet to see my shutter close, I remote start and check to see if it closes and it doesn't so perhaps the truck needs to start moving. I'm thinking of mounting a go pro so i can confirm.
Could be. I would think the shutter would be opened/closed based on coolant temp rather than ambient air temp in front of the radiator. But who knows until we see some documented fixes of existing Tacomas with issues. Mine is busted so I will get a front row seat to this one.

Type2Diabetes

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR - Silver
Same plant probably within days of each other. Once I saw these shutter malfunction posts I almost wanted mine to break soon so I could hopefully not have that issue hanging over my head. Part of me also said I hope it at least works for a few months and see if the fix seems to be working on other Tacomas with this issue before mine breaks. I have an appointment Monday morning. I will update when I hear back from them.

Get any updates from the dealership?

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get any updates from the dealership?
They confirmed it was the grill shutter late yesterday afternoon. They opened a case with Toyota and I am still waiting to see what the plan is. Funny side note. Every time they open a door or hood I get an alert on the Toyota app so I know someone is doing something! It also show location on a map and it is accurate enough to show if it’s in the shop area or out in the parking lot. Currently inside hood up. Stay tuned…..

Type2Diabetes

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR - Silver
They confirmed it was the grill shutter late yesterday afternoon. They opened a case with Toyota and I am still waiting to see what the plan is. Funny side note. Every time they open a door or hood I get an alert on the Toyota app so I know someone is doing something! It also show location on a map and it is accurate enough to show if it’s in the shop area or out in the parking lot. Currently inside hood up. Stay tuned…..
That is too funny! Well keep us updated, could you ask them if there is a TSB for the problem yet?

CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could be. I would think the shutter would be opened/closed based on coolant temp rather than ambient air temp in front of the radiator. But who knows until we see some documented fixes of existing Tacomas with issues. Mine is busted so I will get a front row seat to this one.
I started my truck and checked again this morning and it stayed open. I’m going to order a GoPro so I can mount it to see if it closes when I drive. It rarely gets below 40 here so it may not activate unless I drive up to the mountains.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I started my truck and checked again this morning and it stayed open. I’m going to order a GoPro so I can mount it to see if it closes when I drive. It rarely gets below 40 here so it may not activate unless I drive up to the mountains.
It looks like the sensor you thought was the issue is the issue! I don't know if you have seen this one yet or not.

CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks like the sensor you thought was the issue is the issue! I don't know if you have seen this one yet or not.

I saw that video yesterday, he was a little vague on exactly where it was and was generally pointing at the entire unit. I’m almost tempted to unplug that sensor to see if it pops a code. We need a section on the forum for codes and resolutions so we don’t need to rely on the dealership for easy fixes. I’m reluctant to clear my computer/codes since I have a very early truck that I’m sure will eventually get recalled.

dvolman93

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma
[Update] My wife took the truck to Toyota at around 11:00 today they just released it at 4:30, I spoke with The mechanic that looked at it as well as the service manager, they were unable to determine what was wrong, All they ended up doing was clearing the engine codes and driving it for 30 mi to see if they would come back, I had talked with them about the information that has been shared in this form as well as another form and they found that very helpful, they said that they opened up a case number and they are waiting to hear back from Toyota corporate as to what to do next, they said as of now there's nothing they can do further, they said they will give me a call back to bring the vehicle in if Toyota issues a fix, other than that they said to contact them again if codes come back.

600 mi and the check engine light came on, really not pleased. I'll be going to the dealership Monday I'll give enough date as to what they tell me
20240309_142044.jpg
20240309_142042.jpg
20240309_142040.jpg
20240309_142038.jpg
20240309_142028.jpg
20240309_142022.jpg
I’ve got a running theory based on this thread, other threads, Facebook groups and videos. It seems that this shutter issue seems to be effecting trucks with the VIN 3TY, which are trucks built in Guanajuato. So far I’ve asked others who have had this issue there first three of their VIN and I get back the 3TY. I’m not saying I’m right but it’s a theory I’ve got. My truck has 3TM, built in the Baja plant. I haven’t had a person tell me theirs starts with that. It would be great for anyone here who has had this issue to chime in with the first three of their VIN. I wanna test my theory.

OP
OP

ableduhbest

First Name
Able
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OFF-ROAD
I’ve got a running theory based on this thread, other threads, Facebook groups and videos. It seems that this shutter issue seems to be effecting trucks with the VIN 3TY, which are trucks built in Guanajuato. So far I’ve asked others who have had this issue there first three of their VIN and I get back the 3TY. I’m not saying I’m right but it’s a theory I’ve got. My truck has 3TM, built in the Baja plant. I haven’t had a person tell me theirs starts with that. It would be great for anyone here who has had this issue to chime in with the first three of their VIN. I wanna test my theory.
The first three of my vin is also 3TY, I will also say that since I've taken the truck to the dealer I went on a trip where we drove through some pretty heavy rain, got the truck very muddy, and have since taken it through the car wash at least twice, and the code has not come back, to my knowledge all the dealership did was clear the code, I'm not sure if they disconnected that sensor and reconnected it, they did not give me that information, All they said they did was clear the code contact corporate and ask what to do

dvolman93

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma
The first three of my vin is also 3TY, I will also say that since I've taken the truck to the dealer I went on a trip where we drove through some pretty heavy rain, got the truck very muddy, and have since taken it through the car wash at least twice, and the code has not come back, to my knowledge all the dealership did was clear the code, I'm not sure if they disconnected that sensor and reconnected it, they did not give me that information, All they said they did was clear the code contact corporate and ask what to do
I’ve read, heard and seen that some connections need to be replaced because they weren’t connected properly and got damaged by water. Others just needed to be connected properly because they weren’t connected correctly at the plant. Perhaps that’s why so many went on QC hold.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's a little update on my grill shutter problem. They have ordered the part. ETA up to 2 weeks. Shutters are stuck open and they suggested I just drive it for now which is what I'm doing. No way I'm leaving it in their parking lot that long. Spring in Oklahoma=Hailstorms. The error code leads me to believe the part failed or the connecter is so corroded it's not getting power or signal to open close at all.

IMG_0163.jpg

Last edited:

dvolman93

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma
Here's a little update on my grill shutter problem. They have ordered the part. ETA up to 2 weeks. Shutters are stuck open and they suggested I just drive it for now which is what I'm doing. No way I'm leaving it in there parking lot that long. Spring in Oklahoma=Hailstorms.

IMG_0163.jpg
Does your VIN start with 3TY?
Sponsored