All it took was 600 mi to get the check engine light on

dvolman93

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma
I’ve got an odd theory that this happening to trucks coming out of the Guanajuato plant. So far only one person has told me they’re having this issue and their truck came out of the Baja plant. But the other 99.9% that have had this issue come from the Guanajuato plant.

GRKTRD

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma
Mine came on today but I did a battery reset and it cleared

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-road
I’ve got a running theory based on this thread, other threads, Facebook groups and videos. It seems that this shutter issue seems to be effecting trucks with the VIN 3TY, which are trucks built in Guanajuato. So far I’ve asked others who have had this issue there first three of their VIN and I get back the 3TY. I’m not saying I’m right but it’s a theory I’ve got. My truck has 3TM, built in the Baja plant. I haven’t had a person tell me theirs starts with that. It would be great for anyone here who has had this issue to chime in with the first three of their VIN. I wanna test my theory.
I have had these isses with the shutter and my VIN is a 3TY, 1/24 production. You may be on to something.

Type2Diabetes

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR - Silver
Here's a little update on my grill shutter problem. They have ordered the part. ETA up to 2 weeks. Shutters are stuck open and they suggested I just drive it for now which is what I'm doing. No way I'm leaving it in there parking lot that long. Spring in Oklahoma=Hailstorms. The error code leads me to believe the part failed or the connecter is so corroded it's not getting power or signal to open close at all.

IMG_0163.jpg
Did they say there was a TSB for this particular problem yet?

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
Did they say there was a TSB for this particular problem yet?
No TSB that I know of yet. Service Manager said they engaged Toyota Field Service tech’s immediately due to it “being a new model”his words, and were waiting on their guidance to move forward with ordering the part. Which they have now done. Up to a 2 week wait was the quote. I’m back to driving it now so I’m ok with that.

Type2Diabetes

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No TSB that I know of yet. Service Manager said they engaged Toyota Field Service tech’s immediately due to it “being a new model”his words, and were waiting on their guidance to move forward with ordering the part. Which they have now done. Up to a 2 week wait was the quote. I’m back to driving it now so I’m ok with that.
Notice any features disabled? The other thread on the topic stated cruise control and lane assist disabled.

Also what’s the last 3 of your vin?

Mine is 547

3TY date on door is 1/24.

Last edited:

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
Notice any features disabled? The other thread on the topic stated cruise control and lane assist disabled.

Also what’s the last 3 of your vin?

Mine is 547

3TY date on door is 1/24.
Yeah no cruise, no auto braking when parking, and no lane steering assist but the lane departure works.

3TY, 1/24, 775

Type2Diabetes

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah no cruise, no auto braking when parking, and no lane steering assist but the lane departure works.

3TY, 1/24, 775
We were probably built on the same day an hour or so apart.

Maybe I’ll hit the Grill shutter lotto tomorrow so I can get it repaired before full swing camping season lol.

Madmez

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav
A month ago on youtube I asked JRdagreat a toyota master diagnostic technician if they had gotten word of the tacoma grill shutter going bad and he said no, but they had been getting some tundras with the same issue.

n118nw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4G Taco OR Premium
My dealership told me my 3/16 build is on the boat making it's way to Houston.. built in Baja and starts with 3TM; so after I pick it up if I have any issues I'll report back here.. but I bet dvolman is right..