Sponsored

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Tacoma Off-Road; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
This Trailhunter video is the best one so far on-road driving impressions, very glowing review.

Good post. That was an excellent video. There are so many videos now with no meat on the bones and there was a lot in this one. Even more excited for my TH that I was before. When I watch these videos I compare it to my 2nd gen, which I love, but the level of refinement in every single area is going to be amazing.

OP
OP
North

North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Lexus LX470. 2022 Can Am Commander XT-P Max
Good post. That was an excellent video. There are so many videos now with no meat on the bones and there was a lot in this one. Even more excited for my TH that I was before. When I watch these videos I compare it to my 2nd gen, which I love, but the level of refinement in every single area is going to be amazing.
Everyone seems to be focused on their disappointment in the pricing so it's good to remember that these are going to be phenomenal trucks and the reviews continue to be overwhelmingly positive.

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Tacoma Off-Road; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
Everyone seems to be focused on their disappointment in the pricing so it's good to remember that these are going to be phenomenal trucks and the reviews continue to be overwhelmingly positive.
Funny you just mentioned pricing. I just started a new thread about it. Getting annoyed. It’s high, let’s get over it or move on. Lots of options out there haha.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
This one wasn't so gushing of a review. More of a "it's ok" impressions of the i-Force Max powertrain.
Weight gain is substantial with the Hybrid.

tacoboutit

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EXL
Funny you just mentioned pricing. I just started a new thread about it. Getting annoyed. It’s high, let’s get over it or move on. Lots of options out there haha.
Yeah, I was bummed at first but not surprised. It is a halo trim and you get a ton of aftermarket goodies straight from the factory. It can't help but be a bit pricey. I'm still going to ge it because it has so much personality and saves me from having to do as much in the aftermarket. I know a lot of people enjoy customizing just the way they want and to those people, I say get a TRD Offroad and do your thing.

OP
OP
North

North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This one wasn't so gushing of a review. More of a "it's ok" impressions of the i-Force Max powertrain.
Weight gain is substantial with the Hybrid.

Well, in this one they accelerated once and drove down a mostly straight road for a few minutes while distracted by their conversation. Also, it's a different truck. Roman also said he thought that the 400+ HP Ranger Raptor felt slow because they've been spoiled by EV acceleration.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Well, in this one they accelerated once and drove down a mostly straight road for a few minutes while distracted by their conversation. Also, it's a different truck. Roman also said he thought that the 400+ HP Ranger Raptor felt slow because they've been spoiled by EV acceleration.
Yes a short drive for sure. But it only takes 1 run WOT to determine acceleration potential for a vehicle and at least from the perspective of someone that actually drove the truck it wasn't that impressive. 500 pounds of battery and electric motor offset alot of the on paper performance advantage so it's not unexpected.

I bought the non Hybrid Limited so no secret I don't care for electrification. That being said, a substantial difference in cost, 500 pounds of extra drivetrain components, about the same gas mileage and a modest performance increase make it a tough sell. To buy one you really have to want a Hybrid and there is nothing wrong with that but math and common sense just don't show much if any advantage. Maybe I am missing something and hopefully somebody will come along and show me the light.

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road
I am wondering why they didnt let anyone drive the pro on the roads outside of the course they had. Kinda want to see this type of review with the pro as I have a deposit for a pro.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
the coasting on highway /engine off bit was key info. Wondering if that engine behavior dynamic is across all drive modes or limited to a just a couple?

Last edited:
OP
OP
North

North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought the non Hybrid Limited so no secret I don't care for electrification. That being said, a substantial difference in cost, 500 pounds of extra drivetrain components, about the same gas mileage and a modest performance increase make it a tough sell. To buy one you really have to want a Hybrid and there is nothing wrong with that but math and common sense just don't show much if any advantage. Maybe I am missing something and hopefully somebody will come along and show me the light.
With the hybrid, it isn't so much that the added MPG is amazing or the added acceleration is amazing, it's that you are getting much improved power numbers while still achieving improved MPG. Toyota could have gone the Prius route and added no power but improved MPG, or gone the Ranger Raptor route and offered more HP at the cost of MPG and premium fuel, but chose to add a not-insignificant amount of HP and torque plus a few MPGs as a bonus with the hybrid system.

There are other benefits of the extra torque on tap outside of sheer acceleration, like climbing grades, pulling trailers, and off-roading. It's also meant to fill in the turbo gaps to create smoother and more immediate power delivery. Its not tuned to maximize acceleration or efficiency, it's tuned to enhance capability and driving manners with some increase in acceleration and MPG. It's a truck, so they tuned it to help it perform truck things better.

People have always spent money to increase engine performance, often for very minimal gains. The increase in power with the hybrid is not minimal. Not everyone needs it or cares enough to spend the money, which is why there's a non-hybrid option for most trims.

On the subject of the acceleration not being impressive, let's compare it to some well-known older sport trucks. I don't know the hybrid Taco 0-60 times yet, but the non-hybrid Tacos are running 7 seconds flat and getting 21 MPG combined. In 1995, a Ford Lightning ran 0-60 in 7.2 seconds with a 5.8 liter V8 (getting 12 mpg combined). In 2010 an SVT Raptor did the same with a 6.2 liter V8 (getting 14 mpg combined). Sure, those are full-sized trucks, but the point is, a short time ago those were considered pretty fast "sport" trucks, and only achieved that performance with pretty abysmal gas mileage. Even some "sporty" cars run 0-60 in 7 seconds (heck, even some Corvettes in the '80s).

I'm pointing this out not to make a case for the hybrid over the non-hybrid, but as an example of how what was once considered at least "sporty" acceleration in a truck is now considered pretty standard or even on the slow side.

The hybrid Tacos are still offering the best power for the fuel consumption across all the midsize trucks. Ranger Raptor will probably accelerate faster, but requires premium to achieve top performance and gets 17 combined (and still has less torque). And Roman from TFL said that truck felt slow too.

Last edited:

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
With the hybrid, it isn't so much that the added MPG is amazing or the added power is amazing, it's that you are getting much improved power numbers while still achieving improved MPG. Toyota could have gone the Prius route and added no power but improved MPG, or gone the Ranger Raptor route and offered more HP at the cost of MPG and premium fuel, but chose to add a not-insignificant amount of HP and torque plus a few MPGs as a bonus with the hybrid system.

There are other benefits of the extra torque on tap outside of sheer acceleration, like climbing grades, pulling trailers, and off-roading. It's also meant to fill in the turbo gaps to create smoother and more immediate power delivery. Its not tuned to maximize acceleration or efficiency, it's tuned to enhance capability and driving manners with some increase in acceleration and MPG. It's a truck, so they tuned it to help it perform truck things better.

People have always spent money to increase engine performance, often for very minimal gains. The increase in power with the hybrid is not minimal. Not everyone needs it or cares enough to spend the money, which is why there's a non-hybrid option for most trims.

On the subject of the acceleration not being impressive, let's compare it to some well-known older sport trucks. I don't know the hybrid Taco 0-60 times yet, but the non-hybrid Tacos are running 7 seconds flat and getting 21 MPG combined. In 1995, a Ford Lightning ran 0-60 in 7.2 seconds with a 5.8 liter V8 (getting 12 mpg combined). In 2010 an SVT Raptor did the same with a 6.2 liter V8 (getting 14 mpg combined). Sure, those are full-sized trucks, but the point is, a short time ago those were considered pretty fast "sport" trucks, and only achieved that performance with pretty abysmal gas mileage. Even some "sporty" cars run 0-60 in 7 seconds (heck, even some Corvettes in the '80s).

I'm pointing this out not to make a case for the hybrid over the non-hybrid, but as an example of how what was once considered at least "sporty" acceleration in a truck is now considered pretty standard or even on the slow side.

The hybrid Tacos are still offering the best power for the fuel consumption across all the midsize trucks. Ranger Raptor will probably accelerate faster, but requires premium to achieve top performance and gets 17 combined (and still has less torque). And Roman from TFL said that truck felt slow too.
Very well said

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the hybrid, it isn't so much that the added MPG is amazing or the added power is amazing, it's that you are getting much improved power numbers while still achieving improved MPG. Toyota could have gone the Prius route and added no power but improved MPG, or gone the Ranger Raptor route and offered more HP at the cost of MPG and premium fuel, but chose to add a not-insignificant amount of HP and torque plus a few MPGs as a bonus with the hybrid system.

TLDR;
All new vehicles are faster and more powerful than they used to be. I think you are way off in the weeds here and way overthinking this.

Based on data and facts currently available there seems to be questionable benefit to the Hybrid powertrain in the Tacoma. the TFL guy’s seem to agree but that doesn’t mean you have to agree. Fortunately they make a Tacoma for everyone Hybrid and non Hybrid. If you end up purchasing a Hybrid I hope you and anyone else that wants one has a wonderful experience with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
North

North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TLDR;
All new vehicles are faster and more powerful than they used to be. I think you are way off in the weeds here and way overthinking this.

Based on data and facts currently available there seems to be questionable benefit to the Hybrid powertrain in the Tacoma. the TFL guy’s seem to agree but that doesn’t mean you have to agree. Fortunately they make a Tacoma for everyone Hybrid and non Hybrid. If you end up purchasing a Hybrid I hope you and anyone else that wants one has a wonderful experience with it.
My apologies for answering the question you literally asked in a thread that I started.

Toyota engineers while spending millions of dollars designing the hybrid system that will be put into countless vehicles and mandatory in all of their top trim products: "Hey guys, don't overthink this! Just try to make sure TFL thinks it feels fast on their 3 minute test drive and we'll be good!"
Sponsored