Sponsored

Brake controller harness for 4th gen Tacoma?

Snowjunky24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot
I have looked everywhere. REDARC has no idea too. Told me to basically run the wires diy. I have tracked the 7pin wires all the way to fuse box under the hood. View attachment 11968

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
There's a spare wire harness that goes from the engine compartment to the rear bumper through a fuse box under the rear seat that you could potentially use to avoid running your own wire. If you look at the manual in the Aux switches chapter, it mentions them as "non-powered" connectors and your truck probably came with a bag of pigtails for the connectors under the back seat. Could at least give you a head start on a DIY solution.

Windsor

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
This is the page from the manual that shows a supposed location . If it's there I don't recognize it

2024 Tacoma Brake controller harness for 4th gen Tacoma? 2024-04-17 13.09.00

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
If it's like the other unused connectors, it'll actually be plugged into a dummy that's stuck to the frame or compartment wall to keep debris out of the connector so it may not be obvious. I haven't actually looked for it on mine though, so I can't say with any level of confidence that they actually exist (in a given trim/package).

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
IMG_9155.jpeg
Under passenger back seat
Probably silly question but did you look above the brake gas pedal area?
It almost looks like the style of plug in your under passenger seat pic here but I'm grabbing at straws.

I opened a ticket with Toyota Canada tech support and they called me yesterday asking a few questions and said they'd do some digging for the answer. I'm not holding my breath but at least they reached out to open the conversation.

2024 Tacoma Brake controller harness for 4th gen Tacoma? Screenshot_20240417_154527

Snowjunky24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot
2024 Tacoma Brake controller harness for 4th gen Tacoma? IMG_9155
I believe this harness goes directly to the trailer 7pin.

not sure if aux wires are present on non trd upgraded models

Snowjunky24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot
Downloaded wiring diagrams. Still can’t find the connection that would go to trailer brake control ecu. I’m guessing the wire harness is completely different.
2024 Tacoma Brake controller harness for 4th gen Tacoma? IMG_9221

2024 Tacoma Brake controller harness for 4th gen Tacoma? IMG_9220

2024 Tacoma Brake controller harness for 4th gen Tacoma? IMG_9212

Snowjunky24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot
Update: after hours of looking at wiring diagrams and pulling panels off to see what my truck doesn’t have. Finally found that this pin is completely missing from my truck
2024 Tacoma Brake controller harness for 4th gen Tacoma? IMG_9243
2024 Tacoma Brake controller harness for 4th gen Tacoma? IMG_9240

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well crap. Thank you for all the long hours spent in detective mode.
My understanding is Blue is always the brake wire. Wire colour for other wire assignments can change depending on manufacturer but Blue is standard across the board for electric brakes/brake controller.
Why would Toyota do this? I'm so confused.
Just a thought..
Are you able to see a Blue wire in the wire bundle? Maybe they goofed on just the pin but the wire is still there?
Sure that's unlikely but who knows in this quagmire of a 4th gen brake controller saga.

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
Beyond hardware, there also has to be a software piece too... I assume those ITBC screens aren't available when the hardware isn't included?

Seems like another strategic upsell to get more customers into upgrade/premium packages where it becomes included.

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beyond hardware, there also has to be a software piece too... I assume those ITBC screens aren't available when the hardware isn't included?

Seems like another strategic upsell to get more customers into upgrade/premium packages where it becomes included.
Makes sense but why then include a 7 way hitch from factory?
I just don't get it Toyota.

Windsor

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
My dealership offered to foot the bill to have Action Car and truck accessories instal a Curt controller in my truck . The rep from Action assured me that it wouldn't be a problem . --So I booked an apointment , took the morning off work and drove 35 minutes for the instal . After waiting around for an hour they told me that there was no port and they couldn't do it . ---So don't waste your time with Action .
Sponsored