Sponsored

Coolant Leak [Update: ETA 2.5 weeks]

taco4moro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium
Update 4/19:

2-3 weeks before I can get my truck back LOL...

The parts needed for replacement are somewhere down the already congested production line. Similar to how the owners with the grill shutter problem have to wait for their parts. My guy at the dealership had a Toyota field engineer come by to take a look at it, brought the eta down from 1 month to 2.5 weeks magically.

A little disappointed but I know it's just bad luck. Thankfully they're switching my rental from a small sedan to a 2024 Nissan Frontier so this should be interesting.

Update 4/16:

Just got off the phone with the dealership.

They performed a pressure test and confirmed the leak, caused by "manufacturing/assembly error, the contact between the pipe and rubber is not properly sealing." Therefore he is ordering a replacement part that should arrive in 4/5 days and sticking me in a rental until then :cry:. (all covered by warranty of course)

The rep said he doesn't believe it to be a widespread tacoma specific issue, but I find it weird that this is something that requires a new part and not just a quick tightening fix. I'm assuming they're ordering a new part to play it safe.

----------

Checked the engine the other day and noticed what seems to be a slow drip out of the coolant pipes. 2500 miles so far.

Hoping it’s a small one off assembly error. Taking it into the dealer this afternoon, will update then.
9BDD0C70-B771-46B4-A57D-AD349F73B3EC.jpeg
9D54E9ED-2C03-4FF8-9F46-3E43571D0D3C.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
It almost looks like the hose has even started backing off of the radiator... I'd get that into the dealership immediately if you haven't already.

Taco4ever

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport
Correct me if Im wrong but your first picture of the big hose connecting to the male end seems to have the notch outside the rubber end, Isnt that suppose to be inside the pipe?

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
Correct me if Im wrong but your first picture of the big hose connecting to the male end seems to have the notch outside the rubber end, Isnt that suppose to be inside the pipe?
Inside the pipe with the retaining ring on the other side of the notch. RIght?

Taco4ever

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport
Good thing you caught that before it over heated. Owners might want to keep an eye on that one.

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
Hard to tell but it does look like the top hose clamp failed.. yikes! Could someone else snap a picture of what theirs looks like?

OP
OP
taco4moro

taco4moro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got off the phone with the dealership.

They performed a pressure test and confirmed the leak, caused by "manufacturing/assembly error, the contact between the pipe and rubber is not properly sealing." Therefore he is ordering a replacement part that should arrive in 4/5 days and sticking me in a rental until then :cry:. (all covered by warranty of course)

The rep said he doesn't believe it to be a widespread tacoma specific issue, but I find it weird that this is something that requires a new part and not just a quick tightening fix. I'm assuming they're ordering a new part to play it safe.

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma Limited
With all these small assembly issues, have other launches or other assembly plants in the US, Japan, etc had as many issues as the 2024 Tacoma? Is this a Mexico assembly plant issue or ??

Fastfreddy128

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.5 CX5
I have been a Warranty Admin for 20 years. Every Manufacturer of every Vehicle in the World has these Issues. Especially on a New Model. Its nothing new. A dealer gets Paid to Replace Parts that are leaking, not so much to tighten things anymore. Also without replacing the Clamp there's not much to tighten with those clamps. Better to replace the hoses and clamps. That way it should not leak again. :)

OP
OP
taco4moro

taco4moro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got an update from the dealer:

2-3 weeks before I can get my truck back LOL...

The parts needed for replacement are somewhere down the already congested production line. Similar to how the owners with the grill shutter problem have to wait for their parts. My guy at the dealership had a Toyota field engineer come by to take a look at it, brought the eta down from 1 month to 2.5 weeks magically.

A little disappointed but I know it's just bad luck. Thankfully they're switching my rental from a small sedan to a 2024 Nissan Frontier so this should be interesting.
Sponsored

Last edited: