Sponsored

Credit Card Key comes with 2024 TRD Off-Road?

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Isn't that very problematic in terms of car theft. It is very common in my area for cars to get broken into looking and checked for this very thing. If it is in the car cabin the car should start, correct?
Most definitely. I'm surprised the dealers that didn't catch on, didn't lol. These Tacoma's will scream at you if you go to lock it and a doors open or a key is left in, they must not lock their vehicles on the lot.
Sponsored

Trainer Steve Clifford

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 RAV4 XSE
Okay guys. I'm going to try to tackle this but this is a convoluted discussion and Toyota has done a horrible job of communicating this.

Let's start with a couple of terms. First is "Digital Key" (DK from here on out). A DK is not a credit card key. It is a feature where you can download a feature to your Toyota app and it makes your phone into a key fob. You only need to have your phone in your pocket and the truck will detect it just like a key fob. This is only available on some packages, including the TRD Sport and Off-Road upgrade packages.

Next is the key card. We were not told which vehicles come with the key card. We were informally told that the existence of this card is so owners had a backup for the phone based DK. That however, is ridiculous... if you have the card, what purpose would the phone have?

I don't have a single resource from Toyota that specifically mentions the key card. I do have several references for DK, however, we have now found out that every Tacoma they have shipped to us, has the key card. That includes an SR model with the LL Package (SR upgrade package).

So... if you have any upgrade package, it should have the key card. It might have the digital key. Check the glove box, center console and the map pocket behind the passenger seat. It is probably there. If not, your dealer lost it. We're having a hell of a time keeping track of this because there is nothing that says it should be there and there is no way to attach it to a key chain so it is often floating around, unattached to anything.

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
OR Premium. I had 2 fobs and card. Card was rubber banded to my fobs but I hear they generally ship with them in the rear pocket of the passenger seat as people have had trouble locking because the truck detects the key is inside. My dealer was apparently smart enough to find it and bundle it with the fobs. It does seem like it may be a Premium package feature. I love mine. I just shoved it in my wallet and now don't even need to put keys in my pocket or worry about the unreliability of the digital one that some people have reported.

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
Sport Premium. 2 fobs, 1 card, 1 DK (until expired).
DK also shows up on my Apple Watch. Love it.

Jabstep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Okay guys. I'm going to try to tackle this but this is a convoluted discussion and Toyota has done a horrible job of communicating this.

Let's start with a couple of terms. First is "Digital Key" (DK from here on out). A DK is not a credit card key. It is a feature where you can download a feature to your Toyota app and it makes your phone into a key fob. You only need to have your phone in your pocket and the truck will detect it just like a key fob. This is only available on some packages, including the TRD Sport and Off-Road upgrade packages.

Next is the key card. We were not told which vehicles come with the key card. We were informally told that the existence of this card is so owners had a backup for the phone based DK. That however, is ridiculous... if you have the card, what purpose would the phone have?

I don't have a single resource from Toyota that specifically mentions the key card. I do have several references for DK, however, we have now found out that every Tacoma they have shipped to us, has the key card. That includes an SR model with the LL Package (SR upgrade package).

So... if you have any upgrade package, it should have the key card. It might have the digital key. Check the glove box, center console and the map pocket behind the passenger seat. It is probably there. If not, your dealer lost it. We're having a hell of a time keeping track of this because there is nothing that says it should be there and there is no way to attach it to a key chain so it is often floating around, unattached to anything.

I recently had a dealer tell me that the limited they received only had 1 key fob and 1 digital key due to a shortage. I haven't seen or heard of that at all. Have you seen that?

Trainer Steve Clifford

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 RAV4 XSE
I recently had a dealer tell me that the limited they received only had 1 key fob and 1 digital key due to a shortage. I haven't seen or heard of that at all. Have you seen that?
No. That is a salesman who doesn't know what he's talking about. There are several vehicles that are shipping with one key and Toyota has a schedule for when they will get their second key fob. The Tacoma is not one of those vehicles. In fact, the folks buying the Grand Highlander for $60K are a bit irritated that they get one fob and Tacoma buyers get two fobs plus the key card.

Currently, the Tundra, Sequoia, Sienna, Grand highlander, Venza, Crown, BZ4X, Prius and RAV4 Prime still only come with 1 fob.

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
Quick question I’m at the dealers right now and they’re telling me that my Trd off-road doesn’t come with a credit card key. Just need to confirm.
I have an OR Premium - in Canada. In Canada I think it’s only the premium package that gets the card. So I got two fobs and one card. That said I has to prompt my dealer for the card. they had no idea it was to come with the truck until they went through the owners manual folder and it fell out - Toyota is pretty bad on communication. Even at delivery, enough of the features on this truck I learned more online that I did from my selling dealer.

TacoLisa

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Quick question I’m at the dealers right now and they’re telling me that my Trd off-road doesn’t come with a credit card key. Just need to confirm.
I got one and I love it, the dealer didn't know it came with one until they opened the package with the other keys in it. I had to explain it to them and show them it even has a physical key in it.

Reactions: JED

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Toyota is pretty bad on communication. Even at delivery, enough of the features on this truck I learned more online that I did from my selling dealer.
Not excusing Toyota because they clearly have communication issues. But this is also a fault of your dealer. If you found info online, then surely they could have also? They are getting markup so they should be earning it by actively doing the research and being knowledgable about the product they're asking you to hand them $50k+ for... even if they have to use Google instead of Toyota to get the info.

Fortunately, my salesperson is a Tacoma enthusiast so he was up on every detail.

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
Not excusing Toyota because they clearly have communication issues. But this is also a fault of your dealer. If you found info online, then surely they could have also? They are getting markup so they should be earning it by actively doing the research and being knowledgable about the product they're asking you to hand them $50k+ for... even if they have to use Google instead of Toyota to get the info.

Fortunately, my salesperson is a Tacoma enthusiast so he was up on every detail.
Can’t argue your point You’re right. All the dealer was concerned about was their CSI. I ce added my comments to the CSI.

OP
OP
JED

JED

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport

I’ve gone through the truck and there’s no card key. It is not a premium OR. The sales rep. Explain it could be purchased. I simply didn’t want to leave without one if it was due.

Off topic. Anyone coming from the last 3 generations of Tacoma’s will not be disappointed with this new truck at any trim level. 👍

Trainer Steve Clifford

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 RAV4 XSE
I’ve gone through the truck and there’s no card key. It is not a premium OR. The sales rep. Explain it could be purchased. I simply didn’t want to leave without one if it was due.

Off topic. Anyone coming from the last 3 generations of Tacoma’s will not be disappointed with this new truck at any trim level. 👍
Even the non-premium Off-Road has the key card. It is either hiding in the truck or your dealer lost it.

Pootie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I have the standard OR and it did not come with the digital key. I did ask my dealership and his response was "Digital Key with Keycard comes with the Sport+ and Premium models only."
Sponsored