is non-ethanol gas bad for the turbo?

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
Is non-ethanol gas actually bad for a turbo? I found a reddit post about "extra detonation" of non-ethanol being bad for the turbo. When I had a naturally aspirated vehicle, I would fill it up with non-ethanol once a month. My mechanical knowledge is very limited. TIA.
Sponsored

iResQ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Limited
I've not heard that and have my doubts. Extra (or pre) detonation can adversely affect plugs, rings, pistons, and bearings but would have no impact on the turbo itself. Now the inverse can be true. Turbos make an engine run hotter and generate more pressure than a naturally aspirated engine. That said, turbo engines are designed accordingly.

Also, isn't non-ethanol gas better for engines? It burns cleaner and has greater energy density.

OP
OP
PaulT

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
I've not heard that and have my doubts. Extra (or pre) detonation can adversely affect plugs, rings, pistons, and bearings but would have no impact on the turbo itself. Now the inverse can be true. Turbos make an engine run hotter and generate more pressure than a naturally aspirated engine. That said, turbo engines are designed accordingly.

Also, isn't non-ethanol gas better for engines? It burns cleaner and has greater energy density.
That's what I thot...non-ethanol is cleaner, etc, etc. The combustion science is way over my head. Thanks for the insight.
Sponsored