Sponsored

Manual 2024 Tacoma Owners? Reviews / feedback?

bml42

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Sport (6MT)
Eagerly await the build for my manual TRD Sport! The build date was 3/16. Then it was 3/26. No word on whether it was built yesterday; the google sheet has no update for it yet. Trading in a 2021 TRD Sport with the manual as well, and the lack of other options led me to stick with the Tacoma by default (plus I do like the 3rd gen taco coming from what might have been the absolute worst quality truck ever, an ā€˜07 Frontier with a manual 6 speed which I probably bought again cost-wise for all the work it needed).

Hope to have the truck by end of April, but weā€™ll see.
Sponsored

Steelhead

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Test drove a 24 manual a week ago hoping Iā€™d like it , prefer a manual , it wasnā€™t as enjoyable as I thought it would be , the rev hang is terrible and having to delay shift it just took the fun out of it , the power was about adequate only , will hold out for a pro

OP
OP
Tacocho

Tacocho

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to buy a 4th Gen taco soon.
Test drove a 24 manual a week ago hoping Iā€™d like it , prefer a manual , it wasnā€™t as enjoyable as I thought it would be , the rev hang is terrible and having to delay shift it just took the fun out of it , the power was about adequate only , will hold out for a pro
Did you test drive an automatic as well? I drove an auto and it was smooth with good power delivery, but Iā€™m someone that always prefers manual.

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
Was the iMT on during ur test drive?

Steelhead

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Did you test drive an automatic as well? I drove an auto and it was smooth with good power delivery, but Iā€™m someone that always prefers manual.
Havenā€™t driven a auto yet , would assume it would feel a little more powerful and definitely accelerate quicker with quicker shifts and more gears , similar to the broncos Iā€™ve driven with same 2.3 engine and auto 10 speed vs 6 manual .

Steelhead

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Was the iMT on during ur test drive?
Yes I played with it being on and off and rev hang didnā€™t seem to be affected on upshifts, might not be everyoneā€™s cup of tea and would definitely recommend driving one first before ordering , for very casual driving and not in need of quick acceleration and shifting it should be fine

ebtea

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Mine is showing a delivery date between 4/05-4/10 but since itā€™s been pushed back 4 times Iā€™ll hold my breath, Iā€™ll try and give you my impressions but since itā€™s been 8 years since Iā€™ve driven a manual Toyota (93 p/u) I canā€™t really compare it to the tacos

OP
OP
Tacocho

Tacocho

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I played with it being on and off and rev hang didnā€™t seem to be affected on upshifts, might not be everyoneā€™s cup of tea and would definitely recommend driving one first before ordering , for very casual driving and not in need of quick acceleration and shifting it should be fine
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m expecting. Just a chill long shift throw driving experience haha. Iā€™ve got a manual sports car with a short throw shifter so a manual Tacoma will be a good balance

Thirtywon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium
I test drove both and ended up with an automatic because of the higher spec being available. The manual was great, shorter throw than you would expect although you had to be slow and deliberate in shifting to better match revs.

It was a good experience overall, but a sports car it is not.

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Manual
Took delivery on my manual off road yesterday! Iā€™ve put a total of 8 miles on it so far and Iā€™m not disappointed compared to my 2016 Sport Manual and 23 Pro manual. Itā€™s getting tint/paint protection until tomorrow but Iā€™ll get more time on it this weekend!

OP
OP
Tacocho

Tacocho

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took delivery on my manual off road yesterday! Iā€™ve put a total of 8 miles on it so far and Iā€™m not disappointed compared to my 2016 Sport Manual and 23 Pro manual. Itā€™s getting tint/paint protection until tomorrow but Iā€™ll get more time on it this weekend!
Hell yeah! Let me know how youā€™re liking it. Iā€™m 99% sure I want a manual, even after test driving the automatic one.

First Name
Another
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2001
Do a review once you get some miles on it! Very curious.

ebtea

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
I just picked up my sport premium mt, and I have to say I am quite surprised!

1. The clutchesā€™ friction point is higher up than I thought, it seems to bite about halfway up the pedalā€™s travel

2. The shifter is a lot shorter and not hurt than expected. I learned on a 93 p/u that I installed an live short throw kit in and I feel like the shifter on the ā€˜24 has not only a shorter throw but is more communicative with the hand. It feels more direct and mechanical than what my old truck was like.

3. Downshifts are incredibly easy. The shifter almost pulls itself into gear when you downshift slowlyā€¦ take this with a grain of salt though as the last manual Toyota I drove was about 31 years and 200,000 miles older.

All in all it is a very fun truck and if you drive it like itā€™s a truck then you wonā€™t notice that the redline is only 5400

OP
OP
Tacocho

Tacocho

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just picked up my sport premium mt, and I have to say I am quite surprised!

1. The clutchesā€™ friction point is higher up than I thought, it seems to bite about halfway up the pedalā€™s travel

2. The shifter is a lot shorter and not hurt than expected. I learned on a 93 p/u that I installed an live short throw kit in and I feel like the shifter on the ā€˜24 has not only a shorter throw but is more communicative with the hand. It feels more direct and mechanical than what my old truck was like.

3. Downshifts are incredibly easy. The shifter almost pulls itself into gear when you downshift slowlyā€¦ take this with a grain of salt though as the last manual Toyota I drove was about 31 years and 200,000 miles older.

All in all it is a very fun truck and if you drive it like itā€™s a truck then you wonā€™t notice that the redline is only 5400
Thanks for the review! This is good to hear as Iā€™m leaning towards getting a manual. Have you experimented with IMT on and off?
Sponsored