New Tacoma Issues / Gremlins

Osprey

First Name
Cleve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road
So, I've had an issue and I've refrained from bringing it up until I was able to get more information from the dealer. I picked up my Tacoma late Monday. It hadn't been tinted, so I had to come in Tuesday to get that taken care of. I drove the truck to work Monday night and back and to the dealer for tint the next day.

Once the tint was installed it was sort of difficult to see traffic behind me because of dark overcast in the area. I thought "this is exactly a situation where my nifty digital rear view mirror would come in handy". Pulled the mirror lever forward... nada. Got home, checked the manual... assuming I was an idiot and just didn't know how to activate the damn thing. Nope, that lever should have done it. Checked it several more times and also noted that the home link buttons didn't pop icons or activity indicators.

Took the truck back into the dealer on Friday. After a few hours of several folks huddled around my vehicle, running back and forth to retrieve technical documents, etc., it appears that I got a bad mirror. My dealers service department was awesome during this situation. But how in the world with everything else going on with these trucks did an inoperable mirror slip past Toyota manufacturing quality control? The only thing I can think is that maybe something happened during the Tacos hold status in Houston. Anyway, new mirror is on the way. It should be here by Wednesday and I am told it will take about two hours to swap it out. Fingers crossed.

For reference, my Taco was built 1/24 in the Central Mexico plant and was subject to a long QC hold, which is why I only recently got it.

I'm sure this is a one-off event as I haven't heard of any other buyers having issues with the digital mirror, but thought the community should at least be aware.
Sponsored

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
Ask for a refund for the PDI that you paid for in your dealer fee’s. That sort of thing should have been caught way before it got into your hands.

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
I'm glad they're fixing it for you. That mirror is really weird to use. I tried it a few times and turned it back off. I can see with the tint how that it would be useful.

CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium and 2007 Sequioa LTD
Hope they get it resolved quickly for you, I like using mine during the day and switch to traditional view for nighttime driving as i can see traffic behind me much better that way. The digital rear view mirror was the main deciding factor for me choosing the premium package. It does take a little getting used to it and the vehicles behind you will look like they are in the bed of your truck when using it in digital mode.

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
I'm glad they're fixing it for you. That mirror is really weird to use. I tried it a few times and turned it back off. I can see with the tint how that it would be useful.
I've had the remote rearview mirror for just under 3 years in my RAV4, it's weird at first, but once you get used to it you find it preferable (at least I do) and I just drive with it 100% of the time now.

Bob58

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I do use it at night only. It's not as bright as the mirror. Funny, when u look in a mirror your eyes need to focus far. When you look at a screen, your eyes need to focus close. I can't see close as well as I can see far (I'm old) so it's better to use the mirror most of the time...glad I got the 14" screen!

CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium and 2007 Sequioa LTD
I do use it at night only. It's not as bright as the mirror. Funny, when u look in a mirror your eyes need to focus far. When you look at a screen, your eyes need to focus close. I can't see close as well as I can see far (I'm old) so it's better to use the mirror most of the time...glad I got the 14" screen!
I noticed the focus issue in the beginning and have gotten use to it.

OP
OP
Osprey

Osprey

First Name
Cleve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road
Had another little "annoyance" today. Was driving to lunch and reached over to turn the radio up and nothing happened. Couldn't turn it up or down with the big knob. Same with the steering wheel controls. Sat outside the restaurant fiddling with the damn thing and nothing would affect it.

Went in and ate lunch, came out... and it's working fine again. I guess turning it off and on again is what fixes that. Are the electronics running on Windows OS? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RaskyR1

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ram 1500, '91 Toyota MR2 Turbo, '22 Ducati
I can't really use my digital mirror because of my glasses. Everything is out of focus. If I take my glasses off it looks great. Kind of a bummer.

Type2Diabetes

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR - Silver
Had another little "annoyance" today. Was driving to lunch and reached over to turn the radio up and nothing happened. Couldn't turn it up or down with the big knob. Same with the steering wheel controls. Sat outside the restaurant fiddling with the damn thing and nothing would affect it.

Went in and ate lunch, came out... and it's working fine again. I guess turning it off and on again is what fixes that. Are the electronics running on Windows OS? :rolleyes:
Where you using carplay or android auto? If so if your gps AI was talking/or on a website with your phones browser that had audio enabled. This maybe the reason. Since the car’s auto (stereo) and CarPlay are independent of each other. You could have been turning up the volume for your phones auto. Probably not but worth a guess.

It took me a bit to figure that one out, was getting texts over CarPlay and when the AI would read them couldn’t hear it over the Sirius XM. I figured out when the car is getting the input from CarPlay you can adjust the volume for just that channel.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
I have used the digital mirror to make sure it works, but do not use it. It is a cool feature but I prefer the regular mirror.