Next generation CarPlay

G-Note

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Camry
Being the 4th Gen Tacoma will have a digital dash and a large touch screen in the premium trims I wonder if it will be compatible with the planned updates to CarPlay via a software update. Sadly Toyota is not listed as one of the manufacturers rolling it out in 2024

First vehicles with Next Gen CarPlay
Sponsored

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
Per the article:

When first unveiling next-generation CarPlay last year, Apple said committed automakers included Acura, Audi, Ford, Honda, Infiniti, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lincoln, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Polestar, Porsche, Renault, and Volvo. Beyond the addition of Aston Martin, it's unclear if this list has changed since that initial announcement.
Having said that, I hope Toyota gets added to the list. Say what you will about Apple... their OS is 100x better than any OEM navigation system. It's not even close.

Everyone knows this... except GM executives, I guess.

GM Says It's Ditching Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for Your Safety (motortrend.com)

Nedloh227

First Name
Holden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Being the 4th Gen Tacoma will have a digital dash and a large touch screen in the premium trims I wonder if it will be compatible with the planned updates to CarPlay via a software update. Sadly Toyota is not listed as one of the manufacturers rolling it out in 2024

I highly doubt it... This would have been a huge selling point for Toyota if it was going to be added.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
You never know.

My previous comment about Apple vs. OEM stands. That doesn't mean I want my climate controls to EVER be on the nav screen, but this is just beautiful:

2024 Tacoma Next generation CarPlay 1706733515746

I'm talking about the embedded map, of course. I'd want a tach or some other display on the right side. I don't need a huge circle for a simple display of what gear I'm in. This isn't something that is going to keep me from getting a '24MY TH, but definitely intriguing.

beninbeta

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson

This is not an upgradable option. This is similar to Android Automotive (not Android Auto) where the full infotainment and vehicle system run on the platform itself. And you probably don't want this from either manufacturer, you want to keep standard CarPlay or Android Auto. These system require you phone to work and are just "projecting" the phone's interface to the vehicle.

Why you might ask?

Look at GM as an example, they are removing CarPlay and Android Auto as options and what this means to you as a consumer is a Subscription! Yup you want nav to work at all? Subscription. Want to listen to music? Subscription.

One other reason this could be an issue is, GM is an good example, the manufacturers will figure they can just license the tech from Google/Apple and not invest in engineers for this interface. Both of these systems are only starting points and therefore still need a solid team to integrate them properly. Did you see any of the stories of the Chevy Colorado leaving people stranded because of failed updates draining the battery. Or where the backup cameras stopped working or where the digital instrument cluster when blank? Google and Apple are great at software, but they are only providing a platform and the manufacturers have to integrate that into their vehicles properly.

So be careful what you wish for. If a company builds correctly on these systems and still offers the ability to use CarPlay/AA from your phone, that's fine with me. I prefer using my phone personally.

OP
OP
G-Note

G-Note

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Camry
You never know.

My previous comment about Apple vs. OEM stands. That doesn't mean I want my climate controls to EVER be on the nav screen, but this is just beautiful:

1706733515746.png

I'm talking about the embedded map, of course. I'd want a tach or some other display on the right side. I don't need a huge circle for a simple display of what gear I'm in. This isn't something that is going to keep me from getting a '24MY TH, but definitely intriguing.
Yeah this is the exact same image that caught my eye. Looks amazing.

I also like the idea of widgets on the other screen. I don't need full size Waze.

Taco Azul

First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X, Polestar 2, Toyota GR86
This feature was added to my 2022 Polestar (via OTA update) well after I bought it. It’s possible to be added later, but I’m not counting on it.

Edit: I should have mentioned that I was referring to the extension of CarPlay to the driver screen.

Last edited:

jcwls3

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S
Yep. The Germans — specifically VW-Audi-Porsche — are quite adept at making spectacular centralized infotainment / navigation systems. They’re so responsive and elegant, they can often be a major selling point. (Considering the asking price of some of their cars, they should be.)

On many models, you’re offered the option of regularly updated (over-the-air) Google satellite map overlays. See below — they never fail to elicit a “Wow! Look at that screen!” when we take someone to lunch or dinner in our cars. You can move the maps around from the central screen, or over to the digital gauge cluster.

My wife and I prefer the native navigation in our cars to using CarPlay. It’s one less thing we have to jack around with on our phones. And frankly it looks worlds-apart better.

But in our daughter’s Acura, it’s CarPlay all the way. Honda does a piss-poor job with their native infotainment systems. The new Tacoma’s doesn’t look too bad at all by comparison.
2024 Tacoma Next generation CarPlay IMG_6208

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
Yea I’d rather the phone run the nav. …although on the topic of subs, I’m definitely subscribing to Toyota’s app in the winter months for remote start. ♨

chounder

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
If the vehicle doesn’t support Apple CarPlay or Android Auto - I won’t be buying it. Voting with my bank account.

beninbeta

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Yea I’d rather the phone run the nav. …although on the topic of subs, I’m definitely subscribing to Toyota’s app in the winter months for remote start. ♨
Yeah where Toyota will get me is with the digital key. If that works as well as it did on the Tesla I owned, that's a feature I'll want for sure. I think it also includes remote start then as well and maybe the maps updates for like $15/month. But I'm not paying for extra data or cloud music streaming. I have unlimited data on my phone and that has any app I want to play music with, listen to book or podcast and has multiple nav apps for on and Off-road.

Imagine having 14 inch screen and having to use your phone for Gaia or OnX because a brand decided to only offer subscriptions to use the apps through the infotainment system?

Tacomaniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Highlander Hybrid
This may sound like a really dumb question, but does anybody know whether there’s an audio jack input still available with this new infotainment system? Or is everything now Bluetooth?

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
This may sound like a really dumb question, but does anybody know whether there’s an audio jack input still available with this new infotainment system? Or is everything now Bluetooth?
Haven't seen an audio jack but there is a USB on side on head unit. Not sure if that is for power only though.

beninbeta

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson

Only Bluetooth, CarPlay or Android Auto.
Sponsored