Pricing: Can we please get over it or move on? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Tacoma Off-Road; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
All, I hate to create yet another thread or post about pricing but I feel it's necessary. Yes, this is long, feel free to ignore.

The pricing for the halos should come as no surprise to anyone on this forum. When they released the non-hybrid pricing it was a significant bump over prior generations. At that point for those that are price conscious or unhappy with the pricing, instead of complaining about it should be looking at alternatives. If after looking at all the other options the 4th gen Taco still had its appeal, then great it's worth it and we just need to accept it. Bitching about it (for lack of better terms) changes absolutely nothing. It is what it is. If you don't like it choose a different make/model. It's that simple.

In the past a truck was a truck was a truck. That is no longer the case. This used to be the same with cars as well. Think about any earlier Hyundai's or Kia's. They were basically a crappy throw away car. Now the Kia Stinger as an example is practically a competitor with my Audi S5 and has a pretty high price tag and an incredible level of refinement (Hyundai Genesis is another good example). My point is that all vehicles are over engineered now and I think it's worth noting that these are 100% in that category. This is not a 2nd or 3rd gen Taco. As much as I would love to see a lower sticker price it's higher for a reason. Yes for Toyota to make a profit, which is needed to stay in business, keep investors happy, etc. But also because they have re-engineered every single element of the truck.

Last part of the rant. They are higher than "competitors" in some cases. Key word "some" cases. The mid size truck market is highly differentiated and in my opinion Toyota is in its own category in a lot of ways. Do the basic models compete with basic models of other manufacturers, sure. Do the halo's compete with halos of other manufacturers, maybe. Look across the full lineup. Toyota has by far the largest number of models to fit literally any mid size truck buyers needs/wants/desires. They kind of created the segment and definitely control it in some ways. Others are building new halos to inch closer to Toyota. If the Pro/TH pricing blows you away, get an outfitted OR or a different make/model. As a consumer now you have arguably too many options but that's great because you don't have to go with any particular brand. Think of this, if the "competition" was the exact same price would many of you still be looking at the alternatives? If so I'm not sure why you joined a Toyota forum haha. I would argue absolutely not based on what I'm seeing here. In other words the competition almost has to be less to even be considered in many (not all) cases. Toyota has a huge fan base, especially for the Tacoma/4runner. There are many reasons for this and while the new pricing is a bit of a tough pill to swallow I would put money on it that the "competition" will inch closer in the next few years. Toyota has unfortunately set a new benchmark in pricing and fortunately a new benchmark in engineering, quality, standard features, etc.

I have really enjoyed this forum and find a ton of great info on here, lots of people sharing super helpful insight on their new trucks, bringing issues to everyones attention, and bouncing a lot of ideas off each other. I would just ask that we all take a deep breath on pricing. If you find it insane, crazy, too high, bonkers, whatever word you choose, that's ok. You are not handcuffed to Toyota. Or maybe you are and if that's the case let us know your location and we'll send help :)

Edit: @maxx075 brought up a good point about markups. I would personally never pay a markup nor recommend anyone buying from a dealer that does that. It's BS and I think it's disappointing that Toyota allows it. The only positive is that you do not have to buy from those stealerships. There's plenty of options out there to buy from dealers that don't do markups ever. It might require a drive or a bit more homework, but worth it over paying a dealer that's just taking advantage of you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
MSRP is MSRP, nothing I can do about that.

What I DO NOT condone nor will support is any dealer adding markup or "market adjustment" because some of you idiots will gladly pay it.

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MSRP is MSRP, nothing I can do about that.

What I DO NOT condone nor will support is any dealer adding markup or "market adjustment" because some of you idiots will gladly pay it.
100% agreed. I personally would not buy from a dealer that does markups (ever). I would drive or fly across the country if need be to avoid. I’ve driven out of state before for a vehicle and had one shipped from out of state as well. That’s the beauty of the car market as a consumer you have options.

North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Lexus LX470. 2022 Can Am Commander XT-P Max
I will add that Toyota has built 8 distinct specs of these trucks which can be optioned out with various packages, from 2WD work truck to top trim halos with luxury features and tech that would have only come in luxury cars a few years ago. If buyers do not want all the bells and whistles, they have other options. If you want the fully loaded, fanciest, sexiest, most desirable truck you shouldn't be surprised that it's going to cost you.

Is $65k for the top dogs a bargain? Nope. But the lower trims might be depending on how you look at it. Despite being pricier than their Gen 3 counterparts, they are (mostly) improved from top to bottom and probably represent a better overall value.

What you do get in value by buying the top dogs is a bunch of factory mods/accessories that will A) Actually count towards resale value B) Be covered under warranty C) Come fully installed and D) Will be covered by insurance in the case of an accident of theft. To me, those are all major advantages of buying a factory off roader vs. rolling your own.

MarkGee63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
@2ndGen2TrlHntr I do think people need to relax a bit when it comes to pricing. I know we all expected the prices to be high for the higher trims, especially after seeing the lower to mid trims have a significant price bump. I know Toyota has its huge fan base already and Toyota knows that. I think they set the pricing high to try and reset the market. Although I do find the complaints quite annoying, I believe that Toyota should hear/read it. Us consumers have the power to voice our concerns about our products. So I actually support people who are complaining about the price tag because Toyota needs to hear what their customers are in need of.
This response could be quite contradicting overall because I support both sides. Complaints are annoying to hear but, as a person who believes that effective criticism exists in this market, I say let Toyota hear it all.

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
Understand your frustration, but gotta point out that your arguments work both ways:

The pricing for the halos should come as no surprise to anyone on this forum.
The threads on pricing should come as no surprise to anyone on this forum

for those that are price conscious or unhappy with the pricing, instead of complaining about it should be looking at alternatives.
Those that are ok with the price, instead of complaining about the forum threads on the price, maybe look at alternative threads.

If after looking at all the other options the 4th gen Taco still had its appeal, then great it's worth it and we just need to accept it. Bitching about it (for lack of better terms) changes absolutely nothing. It is what it is. If you don't like it choose a different make/model. It's that simple.
If after looking at the other forum topics, a forum including pricing topics still has appeal, then great it's worth it and we just need to accept it. Complaining about pricing topics changes absolutely nothing. It is what it is. If you don't like it, choose a different thread/topic. It's that simple

SaltySam

First Name
Samuel Ferrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma off-road and 2023 civic type r
To be honest most halo trucks from all the other brands fully loaded are creeping up or exceeding the Pro/TH price. People just look at MSRP and judge it by that scale. The Pro and TH are pretty much fully loaded from the get go, and yes the mark-ups are crazy from Toyota dealers but the raptor, bison, AEV AT4x are right up there as well. If you can’t swing it there are other trims that Toyota offers that will suit your needs just fine. If you are set in having the big dog you are not held to the brand at gun point like the OP said and are more than happy with getting whatever fits you and your pocket. I was expecting this way back when they first announced the trucks and honestly happy it wasn’t what I was thinking (70k cause it could have been). People are spending 75k-90k now on 1500 series trucks, and well over 100k+ on HD trucks. It’s crazy but it’s the times we live in. Either way I’m still excited on getting my TH! 🤘

hoodouken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2021 Subaru Outback
A youtuber mentioned this and it made sense and hopefully, maybe this will make sense to you as well.
The differences in the tech and comfort from the 3rd gen to the 4th nearly justifies the price jump. I can't say first hand but I've heard how unrefined the 3rd gens ride was and how much more comfortable the 4th is.

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@2ndGen2TrlHntr I do think people need to relax a bit when it comes to pricing. I know we all expected the prices to be high for the higher trims, especially after seeing the lower to mid trims have a significant price bump. I know Toyota has its huge fan base already and Toyota knows that. I think they set the pricing high to try and reset the market. Although I do find the complaints quite annoying, I believe that Toyota should hear/read it. Us consumers have the power to voice our concerns about our products. So I actually support people who are complaining about the price tag because Toyota needs to hear what their customers are in need of.
This response could be quite contradicting overall because I support both sides. Complaints are annoying to hear but, as a person who believes that effective criticism exists in this market, I say let Toyota hear it all.
I agree on the point of Toyota hearing/understanding the market isn't happy with the new high pricing.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent
@2ndGen2TrlHntr You are 100% right here!

Yes, the Trailhunter and TRD Pro cost way more than what a TRD Pro has been costing, but it is also DOING way more (and has way more money invested in it) than a TRD Pro traditionally has. This all makes sense if people understand Toyota's motivation behind it. Toyota sees the plethora of people that are buying these vehicles and then sinking 5K, 10K, or even 15K into with aftermarket mods. Toyota wants you to get that from them instead AND have it covered under warranty.

This is not a new thing and is becoming exceptionally common in the vehicle industry. Most every SUV/Truck manufacture is doing it in one way or another. So when you look at the current TRD Pro and Trailhunter. Don't compare it to a TRD Pro from 10 years ago. Compare it to someone who bought a TRD Pro 10 years ago and then sunk 10K into it with aftermarket mods. The TRD Off-Road of today is probably much more comparable to that TRD Pro from 10 year ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Understand your frustration, but gotta point out that your arguments work both ways:

The threads on pricing should come as no surprise to anyone on this forum

Those that are ok with the price, instead of complaining about the forum threads on the price, maybe look at alternative threads.

If after looking at the other forum topics, a forum including pricing topics still has appeal, then great it's worth it and we just need to accept it. Complaining about pricing topics changes absolutely nothing. It is what it is. If you don't like it, choose a different thread/topic. It's that simple
My point isn't threads with titles about pricing. I am well aware that I have the option to stay away from threads I'm not interested in or annoyed with. My point is that pricing complaints have gone overboard and are being injected into thread after thread after thread. Ok, we get it, the price is high and most of us aren't happy with it. I get you trying to pick apart my post, but I am simply saying there is no benefit in continuing to hammer at this. We are complaining to complain at this point.

For additional clarity someone posting for advice/input on picking one model over another is valuable and not what I am talking about.

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma Limited
All, I hate to create yet another thread or post about pricing but I feel it's necessary. Yes, this is long, feel free to ignore.

The pricing for the halos should come as no surprise to anyone on this forum. When they released the non-hybrid pricing it was a significant bump over prior generations. At that point for those that are price conscious or unhappy with the pricing, instead of complaining about it should be looking at alternatives. If after looking at all the other options the 4th gen Taco still had its appeal, then great it's worth it and we just need to accept it. Bitching about it (for lack of better terms) changes absolutely nothing. It is what it is. If you don't like it choose a different make/model. It's that simple.

In the past a truck was a truck was a truck. That is no longer the case. This used to be the same with cars as well. Think about any earlier Hyundai's or Kia's. They were basically a crappy throw away car. Now the Kia Stinger as an example is practically a competitor with my Audi S5 and has a pretty high price tag and an incredible level of refinement (Hyundai Genesis is another good example). My point is that all vehicles are over engineered now and I think it's worth noting that these are 100% in that category. This is not a 2nd or 3rd gen Taco. As much as I would love to see a lower sticker price it's higher for a reason. Yes for Toyota to make a profit, which is needed to stay in business, keep investors happy, etc. But also because they have re-engineered every single element of the truck.

Last part of the rant. They are higher than "competitors" in some cases. Key word "some" cases. The mid size truck market is highly differentiated and in my opinion Toyota is in its own category in a lot of ways. Do the basic models compete with basic models of other manufacturers, sure. Do the halo's compete with halos of other manufacturers, maybe. Look across the full lineup. Toyota has by far the largest number of models to fit literally any mid size truck buyers needs/wants/desires. They kind of created the segment and definitely control it in some ways. Others are building new halos to inch closer to Toyota. If the Pro/TH pricing blows you away, get an outfitted OR or a different make/model. As a consumer now you have arguably too many options but that's great because you don't have to go with any particular brand. Think of this, if the "competition" was the exact same price would many of you still be looking at the alternatives? If so I'm not sure why you joined a Toyota forum haha. I would argue absolutely not based on what I'm seeing here. In other words the competition almost has to be less to even be considered in many (not all) cases. Toyota has a huge fan base, especially for the Tacoma/4runner. There are many reasons for this and while the new pricing is a bit of a tough pill to swallow I would put money on it that the "competition" will inch closer in the next few years. Toyota has unfortunately set a new benchmark in pricing and fortunately a new benchmark in engineering, quality, standard features, etc.

I have really enjoyed this forum and find a ton of great info on here, lots of people sharing super helpful insight on their new trucks, bringing issues to everyones attention, and bouncing a lot of ideas off each other. I would just ask that we all take a deep breath on pricing. If you find it insane, crazy, too high, bonkers, whatever word you choose, that's ok. You are not handcuffed to Toyota. Or maybe you are and if that's the case let us know your location and we'll send help :)

Edit: @maxx075 brought up a good point about markups. I would personally never pay a markup nor recommend anyone buying from a dealer that does that. It's BS and I think it's disappointing that Toyota allows it. The only positive is that you do not have to buy from those stealerships. There's plenty of options out there to buy from dealers that don't do markups ever. It might require a drive or a bit more homework, but worth it over paying a dealer that's just taking advantage of you.
Very well said and has needed to be said for a long time, since when the Tacoma (non hybrid) pricing was announced. Tired of all the cry babies b!tchin, get over or buy something else!

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
Very well said and has needed to be said for a long time, since when the Tacoma (non hybrid) pricing was announced. Tired of all the cry babies b!tchin, get over or buy something else!
You guys know you don't have to read every post here, right? You can scroll past the stuff you don't like.

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma Limited
You guys know you don't have to read every post here, right? You can scroll past the stuff you don't like.
🤦‍♂️Stop b!tchin or go away🤮 You must be a real energy DRAINER
Sponsored