Pricing complaints

TRD _Rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Camry TRD, 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I see a lot of complaining about pricing. I have a deposit on a TRD OR for 49,500. Looking at other trucks like the Colorado ZR2 (I spec'ed out similar to what I am getting in the OR and it was 53k) and the Ford Ranger Raptor (55k) I dont see what all the complaints are for. Am I missing something.?
Sponsored

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
Trucks are expensive, and this is a completely redesigned new model year vehicle. People are dumb, and want the new truck to stay the same price as the outgoing model.

OP
OP
TRD _Rob

TRD _Rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Camry TRD, 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Agree.

Daplane_MA

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 TRD Sport
I could do without all the PIO/DIO (altho that is not a new thing for 4G). Otherwise I think the increase was fair given how many improvements made. The interior alone justifies it.

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
My allocation is only 44k for a TRD Sport, gives me room to build it up to run 265/70 R18 or a 32.6" tire size.

I still get a kick out of so many TRD OR 3G's still run stock tires sizes and they look at my SR with 265/75 R16 (no mods whatsoever) and notice a better tire and wheel setup than their more expensive model. Not hard to do...

iResQ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Limited
I'm a bit of an outlier as I am buying a Limited. MSRP is about the same as a Canyon Denali. While the Canyon offers more hp/torque, the Limited offers more features. Quality and resale are additional bonuses.

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
I see a lot of complaining about pricing. I have a deposit on a TRD OR for 49,500. Looking at other trucks like the Colorado ZR2 (I spec'ed out similar to what I am getting in the OR and it was 53k) and the Ford Ranger Raptor (55k) I dont see what all the complaints are for. Am I missing something.?
The general consensus I hear is that all of those trucks are overpriced. Most forums are full of Rip Van Winkles that fell asleep some time in the mid 90's - 20's and think vehicles should cost no more than $20k.

ForTheWin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
The general consensus I hear is that all of those trucks are overpriced. Most forums are full of Rip Van Winkles that fell asleep some time in the mid 90's - 20's and think vehicles should cost no more than $20k.
BREAKING NEWS: 5th Gen Tacoma will be EVEN more expensive!! Collective gasp šŸ¤£

One correction. The general consensus from people clutching on to the delusion that their Tacoma is still just as good as the new one is that the 4G is overpriced.

Most unbiased shoppers comparing the old vs new gen vs competition can clearly see the upgrades are worth the few thousand increase over the outgoing model.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
Though I agree with the statement that cars in general are overpriced these days, when you look at other large purchases (like real estate), it's evident it's bigger than just the automotive industry.

My wife's Sienna was $53 grand. The one before was $32 grand. Both AWD models. Our old house sold for $475k nine years ago and someone just put it on the market for $850k.

Life is more expensive.

Having said that, I just watched a video recently that explained half of Toyota's cost on each Tacoma is directly related to safety. If you drive into a tree at 50mph in one of these trucks, you might walk away. Try that 20 years ago... not so much.

So... if you want to feel better about paying outrageous prices for a truck, just think of it as a potential investment in saving your life. It doesn't help much, but hey. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

907Yota

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Toyota Xtracab 4WD
I understand that trucks are expensive these days. Itā€™s the additional dealer markup that is 100% bullsh*t.

I wonā€™t pay it ever. MSRP is the absolute ceiling for me. I will leave Toyota after 38 years of driving them before I hand over five grand to pure greed. šŸ˜”

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
Your mula your choice..its still a free country...MSRP or below for my mula....jmho...I'm waiting for the hybrid version so...

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
I think the grumblings about pricing are about a larger issue that extends far beyond the automotive world. Inflation has been insane. Greed-flation has been insane. And for decades wages in the US have been essentially stagnant in so many sectors while the cost of living has increased dramatically. So many people ā€” myself included ā€” are feeling the squeeze and it sucks. I should be able to live decently and afford a decent new vehicle every 8-15 years without it wrecking me financially considering I work in a trade that pays pretty dang well, but right now itā€™s getting more difficult to achieve.

I hope that helps shed some perspective! For my part Iā€™m not irked at Toyota so much as I am at larger (domestic and global) economic forces at work that are outside my control. I consider myself beyond lucky to be in a position where I can consider purchasing one of these trucks in the next 12 months ā€” many of my peers and coworkers arenā€™t in that position right now.

I suspect if i were to run the numbers the actual pricing of the Tacoma and other cars built for everyday folks isnā€™t actually insane if you measure inflation etc but since the gulf between wages and cost of living has been widening at a steady clip since the 90s itā€™s getting harder for a lot of folks to make purchases like this without incurring insane monthly payments.

My current vehicle (MY2016) retailed for 38k at msrp - and I got it with a few thousand off the price cus I paid cash . The new model retails at 55k msrp at a similar spec.

btw ive sat in the new Colorado and I liked it! Pretty comfy. Iā€™m still going taco though

AlexT

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado ZR2
TRD OR is a nice truck but the ZR2 and Ranger raptor compete more closely to the TRD pro which will easily be $60k+. The OR is more comparable to either a Canyon AT4 or Ranger FX4 (either xlt or lariat). Iā€™m also in the Gulf states Toyota region that loves to add on thousands of port installed crap.

n118nw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4G Taco OR Premium
It doesn't cost Ford, Chevy or Toyota more than $30,000 in parts to build a mid-spec full size truck.. yet they are selling it for more than double. It's not that us gen xers think cars should be cheaper.. it's that we know manufacturers are making mass profits by controlling the supply in a market with high demand which gives them basically the ability to charge what they want. Almost every CEO of every larger manufacturer has already come out and said they want the average sales price of their cars to be $50k. And since for some stupid reason America still has independent dealerships that can add whatever charges they want, they're also making mass profits off of your hard earned dollar.

When was the last time you saw a brotruck carrying cargo in the back of the bed? Probably never.. because the truck is lifted so high it renders the bed useless without a cherry picker.

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
I understand that trucks are expensive these days. Itā€™s the additional dealer markup that is 100% bullsh*t.

I wonā€™t pay it ever. MSRP is the absolute ceiling for me. I will leave Toyota after 38 years of driving them before I hand over five grand to pure greed. šŸ˜”
So, what about the "pure greed" when you go to the grocery store, clothing store, shoe store, hardware store, restaurant, tire store, gun store, real estate store, government schools, government taxation?
Sponsored