Sponsored

Pricing complaints

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I see a lot of complaining about pricing. I have a deposit on a TRD OR for 49,500. Looking at other trucks like the Colorado ZR2 (I spec'ed out similar to what I am getting in the OR and it was 53k) and the Ford Ranger Raptor (55k) I dont see what all the complaints are for. Am I missing something.?
Not sure why you are comparing a TRD Offroad NON premium with a fully loaded Raptor then try to make a point about price?

The TRD OR Premium is 54K and still does not compare at all with a ZR2 and Raptor. The trim that does is the TRD Pro. Remind me how much do you think a TRD Pro will cost? Most likely at least 60K. This is 10K more than the ZR2 and 5K more than the raptor. And this is IF the TRD Pro is not 65K, in which case it would be 15K over a ZR2 and 10K over a raptor.
They have super comparable suspension (but raptor live FOX> TRD Pro), off road specs (but Raptor and ZR2 have dual locking diff), 33in tires, and similar tech).

You are comparing a medium trim with the most fully loaded premium off road ones. The Tacoma is severely overpriced period. That does not mean, you, me or anyone should not buy it. It’s a great truck and if you like it more than other trucks then good, but trying to convince yourself and others than this truck is not extremely higher priced than the competition to feel better about it is no good. Numbers don’t lie.

The fact is that for their comparable top offroad trims, the Tacoma is 20-30% more expensive than the competition and right in Full Size price territory. Sorry to break the news.
Sponsored

Last edited:

09jsw

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 4d trd or
TRD OR is a nice truck but the ZR2 and Ranger raptor compete more closely to the TRD pro which will easily be $60k+. The OR is more comparable to either a Canyon AT4 or Ranger FX4 (either xlt or lariat). I’m also in the Gulf states Toyota region that loves to add on thousands of port installed crap.
Exactly my thoughts. The at4x is a direct competitor to the pro and will no doubt be cheaper. A premium trd OR is 55k while the AT4X is 55-57.

AT4x is fully loaded with a HUD.
Sucks because I wanted a pro but can’t justify 60k

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Exactly my thoughts. The at4x is a direct competitor to the pro and will no doubt be cheaper. A premium trd OR is 55k while the AT4X is 55-57.

I looked at an AT4X this weekend. It looked so tiny inside. When I checked it looked like the front hip room was smaller than even a 3rd Gen I looked at later that day. It was a 23 and with my supplier discount I could probably get it around the same price as my TRD OR. I've just seen too many videos of stupid things that are just cheaply made. I saw one (granted it was an AT4, but I doubt it's different) where the door pull was just attached to the door card and the whole thing pulled out when closing the door. Simple things like that just turn me off. Also, no front sensors? Hardly any interior storage... I just couldn't do it. I'm sure it's a nice truck, and a few Tacos have had issues so far, but in the end it's still a GM product.

Last edited:

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
If people want to buy a pile of shit American vehicle with crap resale value, go for it. But coming onto a Tacoma specific forum to argue that point is retarded. Go buy your Chevy truck, and go hang out on the Chevy forums.

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150

While you can get an AT4X for less, if you want it specced out the same as the TRD PRO, you have to get the AEV version, and that is $66k. Maybe steel bumpers, recovery points, more skid plates, etc... aren't important to you, but if they are you are not spending 55K. Plus in the end, even at 55k, you'll loose more than that on resale with a GM product.

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
If people want to buy a pile of shit American vehicle with crap resale value, go for it. But coming onto a Tacoma specific forum to argue that point is retarded. Go buy your Chevy truck, and go hang out on the Chevy forums.
It's valid to compare products. They just need to be compared apples/apples.

09jsw

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 4d trd or
While you can get an AT4X for less, if you want it specced out the same as the TRD PRO, you have to get the AEV version, and that is $66k. Maybe steel bumpers, recovery points, more skid plates, etc... aren't important to you, but if they are you are not spending 55K. Plus in the end, even at 55k, you'll loose more than that on resale with a GM product.
But the trd pro doesn’t have the steel bumpers. The AT4x is the same as the Pro, not the trailhunter. Both have recovery points.

I’m probably not getting a gm but I’m also not worried about resale. I’m not buying a truck to think about selling it. I still have my 2004 trd or.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
But the trd pro doesn’t have the steel bumpers. The AT4x is the same as the Pro, not the trailhunter. Both have recovery points.

I’m probably not getting a gm but I’m also not worried about resale. I’m not buying a truck to think about selling it. I still have my 2004 trd or.
both the pro and trailhunter have steel rear ARB bumpers

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Typical fanboy childish comment. So because it’s Tacoma specific forum, we can’t compare it to its direct competition, sure.

And yeah, the Raptor is known for its crap resale value, sure!

Do better.

09jsw

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 4d trd or
both the pro and trailhunter have steel rear ARB bumpers
That’s true I forgot about that. I still don’t think it compares to the AT4X AEV. That truck is pretty insane from the lift and 35” tires…

jcwls3

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S
Typical fanboy childish comment. So because it’s Tacoma specific forum, we can’t compare it to its direct competition, sure.

And yeah, the Raptor is known for its crap resale value, sure!

Do better.
Well said.

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Cool, you can't afford the truck and have made your decision. Hanging around here to piss and moan only makes you look like a troll.
Assuming what people online can and can’t afford is an interesting exercise.

Quite ironic when you got yourself a basic TRD Off-road, and my deposit is down for a Trailhunter. Which doesn’t prevent me to cross shop with the Tundra and F-150 Tremor right now. Ops.

See, the difference between you and me is 1) I am not a fanboy 2) even though I might buy one truck it doesn’t prevent me from using my brain and openly discuss the pros and cons of that one truck. I don’t need to convince myself and others that this truck is a super amazing deal and that every other truck on the market is crap, to be happy about my purchase.

Something that might be hard to do for a child, granted.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
It doesn't cost Ford, Chevy or Toyota more than $30,000 in parts to build a mid-spec full size truck.. yet they are selling it for more than double. It's not that us gen xers think cars should be cheaper.. it's that we know manufacturers are making mass profits by controlling the supply in a market with high demand which gives them basically the ability to charge what they want. Almost every CEO of every larger manufacturer has already come out and said they want the average sales price of their cars to be $50k. And since for some stupid reason America still has independent dealerships that can add whatever charges they want, they're also making mass profits off of your hard earned dollar.

When was the last time you saw a brotruck carrying cargo in the back of the bed? Probably never.. because the truck is lifted so high it renders the bed useless without a cherry picker.
Mass profits for Toyota? Not really. How many of you own automotive manufacturers stocks? I don't because they don't return enough. Toyota's average net profit for the last 10 years has been about 10% annually. Hardly massive in the world of profit. That said, the new trucks are expensive. We each have a choice. Buy it or not. Pay a markup or not. Truth is markups would not exist if no one paid them. There are a lot of costs involved in getting that truck to the dealership. Pricing out the parts is just one of the components that going into the total price.
Sponsored