In canada , Toyota dealerships wont get dummy tacoma 2024 until feb last

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Went to dealership today ( calgary , canada). They told me that initially they were supposed to get dummy truck in first week of January but now Toyota delayed it to last week of February .
Sponsored

Reactions: MJE
OP
OP
Sandeep1994

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Do people test drive a different vehicle than the exact one they will potentially purchase? Is that common? I’ve never heard of that.
They say taco 2024 is new truck and some people do like to see it in person before they buy it . I myself already liked it . And made my booking for Sr5

Kevin Chaos

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2nd generation TRD Off-Road Tacoma
They say taco 2024 is new truck and some people do like to see it in person before they buy it . I myself already liked it . And made my booking for Sr5
Me too, I reserved an OR in Bronze Oxide. I’m excited!

I was unaware that dealerships made people drive a different car/truck than the one they hope to purchase. I don’t think that’s common here in America, but I could be wrong. I never heard of a “dummy truck” but it might make sense to me as a floor model, but as a designated test drive truck, that seems odd.

OP
OP
Sandeep1994

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Yeah in canada bit different . Also i was so surprised by the way Toyota vehicle ordering works . I wanted black colour in SR5 . But dealer told me that i would have to wait for longer if i wanted black colour . And if i picked. Silver or underground it would be lot faster to get that truck build

Drew

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Niro, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Me too, I reserved an OR in Bronze Oxide. I’m excited!

I was unaware that dealerships made people drive a different car/truck than the one they hope to purchase. I don’t think that’s common here in America, but I could be wrong. I never heard of a “dummy truck” but it might make sense to me as a floor model, but as a designated test drive truck, that seems odd.
The US does things differently than the rest of the world, but we're starting to see a shift. Elsewhere, it is more common to order and wait for a new vehicle. Given the shift to lower inventories, online ordering, and the like, we're going to see more of this, especially with popular models. Ford sent demo Lightnings to dealers so that people could test drive and be sure they wanted to put in an order, and most lots I've been to will at least let me test drive something in stock and order it how I want, even if they try to convince me to buy something they have available today.

paulbdotcom

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma TRD OFFROAD
Talked to dealer today- in US - Said lastbb by of 2023s being delivered in the next week or so. Said shows ZERO 2024s so far. They can usually tell 3 months out.

Tacosyeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Went to dealership today ( calgary , canada). They told me that initially they were supposed to get dummy truck in first week of January but now Toyota delayed it to last week of February .
Lines up with what was said in the spec sheet thread. I keep seeing the hybrids 4 months after the gas models. That puts those into May, maybe even June for Canada.

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Yeah in canada bit different . Also i was so surprised by the way Toyota vehicle ordering works . I wanted black colour in SR5 . But dealer told me that i would have to wait for longer if i wanted black colour . And if i picked. Silver or underground it would be lot faster to get that truck build
This happened to a friend of mine with a Camry of all things as well. & something I’m only just starting to learn that Toyota does as I’m used to US brand manufacturers where you just order exactly what you want & you get it when it comes. It seems with Toyota it’s all allocation based on what they want to or can produce, so the more flexible you can be the quicker you can get a vehicle, but if you hold out for exactly what you want you can be waiting much much longer.

bayman

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Miata GT and 2017 Honda CR-V
Before Covid here in Eastern Canada, I could take almost any model out for a test drive from the dealer lots and they normally had a "demo" or a single unit designated for test drives. I have taken 15-20 mins test drives and have also had vehicles overnight from dealers that I had a previous relationship with. These days, there is just no stock on the lots and nothing to even test drive. That's why I was happy to hear that my dealer shows one 2024 Tundra TRD Sport+ in their system for January-February delivery, but it won't be for purchase by folks on the pre-order list. It will be kept as the test truck for anyone wanting to test drive the new 2024. I would assume that someone will eventually buy it, but at a somewhat reduced "demo" price.
Sponsored