Sponsored

Pricing: Can we please get over it or move on? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
I wouldn't have so much of an issue with the price point for a Trailhunter (even though I'm sure its inflated) if I wanted everything included in the price ... but I don't. I'm probably looking at ~$5k or more, i.e. getting on for 10% of the price, for stuff I have no interest in. Could I live with it ... yes, but it has me considering other options when I otherwise wouldn't be.

Those items are
  1. The Bed Rack; I want to add a wedge camper.
  2. The Moonroof; had one for quarter of a century in my Audi A6 and hardly used it.
  3. The Powered Tailgate, which seems like an inadvertent operation away from accidentally trashing the tailgate, (when did a damped and torsion bar assisted tailgate become such a burden). Also who knows whether it will operate properly mating up with a wedge camper shell?
  4. The ARB steel bumper and fancy red towhooks, since I may need to add gas can carrying capability on a swing-out due to the small fuel tank/potentially low range. I don't want to bolt a Rotopax or two onto my camper if I can avoid it. I might be able to add a fuel carrier to the tow hitch and retain the steel bumper, but in both this case and with the swing-out see bullet 3 for possible outcomes one day when I'm not thinking
  5. Digital rearview mirror (because I'll have a wedge camper blocking the camera)
Most if not all of those seem to be things that could be their own package. They aren't the only things I don't need, but I accept that some stuff like the premium sound with removable speaker and HUD are just going to come as standard as part of the halo spec, despite in some cases being a separate package for lower trims. It just seems strange to me that Toyota, which claims to be plugged into the off road community and develops an overlanding specific version, fails to understand the needs for everyone in that demographic that use a camper or bed cap ... or they don't care and just want to have us buy it anyway if we want the other benefits of the Trailhunter.
Sponsored

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
The Bed Rack; I want to add a wedge camper.
  1. Digital rearview mirror (because I'll have a wedge camper blocking the camera)
There's a rear cabin camera extension kit for the Tundras, same interface it appears on the halos, so fingers crossed. I'm putting a GFC on the back, told my dealer find a way to nix the sport bar on my order; they have all the tacos incoming that fit it, eventually someone is going to al la carte that thing - and problem solved. I'm not in the business of selling ARB mullet bars, but I'll do it if I have to.

The TFL guys put a GFC on their OR. No news is good news they would've made a huge stink about it in a 10 minute video if the tailgate didn't interface well. Andre did say he thought they'd lose aero off the tailgate spoiler but whatever. the aero hit is on the front with the RRT gapping over the shark fin. I guess it depends on the shell manufacturer how well they integrate on the gate...

All things being equal, year one of the Trailhunter edition includes some stuff that's bolted on to simply differentiate it from the lineup. Next year hopefully they learn to the leave the damn bed rails empty.

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
There's a rear cabin camera extension kit for the Tundras, same interface it appears on the halos, so fingers crossed. I'm putting a GFC on the back, told my dealer find a way to nix the sport bar on my order; they have all the tacos incoming that fit it, eventually someone is going to al la carte that thing - and problem solved. I'm not in the business of selling ARB mullet bars, but I'll do it if I have to.

The TFL guys put a GFC on their OR. No news is good news they would've made a huge stink about it in a 10 minute video if the tailgate didn't interface well. Andre did say he thought they'd lose aero off the tailgate spoiler but whatever. the aero hit is on the front with the RRT gapping over the shark fin. I guess it depends on the shell manufacturer how well they integrate on the gate...

All things being equal, year one of the Trailhunter edition includes some stuff that's bolted on to simply differentiate it from the lineup. Next year hopefully they learn to the leave the damn bed rails empty.
Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear about the possibility of the camera/rearview mirror extension kit so I could at least make use of it, even if not something I'd bother with buying otherwise.

IIRC the TFL Taco has a manual tailgate. The potential issue I am thinking of is when there is a powered tailgate. I guess if one closes the tailgate first, followed by the back panel on the camper, there wouldn't be any different experience to that of the manual tailgate. If the back of the camper is shut first followed by the powered tailgate, then the latter may sense resistance on closing due to the interference fit with the seal on the camper, that may cause issues. In any event I'll keep an eye out for your experiences once you have yours.

Drm919

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5
I'm more upset that hybrid didn't give us better mpg, I want 28-30 mpg if I'm paying $3k for hybrid powertrain.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
I'm more upset that hybrid didn't give us better mpg, I want 28-30 mpg if I'm paying $3k for hybrid powertrain.
I'm getting 16mpg first month with mine! Open 'er up! Sport w/chin spoiler, highway tires and Eco-mode grandpa style driving you'll get 28-30mpg, watch some of these screenshots from owners...

Timster

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
L.I. I’ve spoken to two dealerships, including the one I’ve already purchased two Tundras in the past from.
I'm on LI too. Use the Toyota web site Smart Path system. Transparent pricing and you can make the deals online and find SRP pricing. The only Smart Path dealer on LI that looked to be doing uncharges over SRP appeared to be Riverhead. Just be prepared to wait. Takes almost a month from assembly date to arrive at your dealer. If the dealer doesn't want to honor the online price quote, complain to Toyota corporate and to BBB for false advertising. A negative Google review can also be very effective. It works. Don't ask me how. 🤫 Just picked up my TRD Offroad a couple of days ago.

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
I could care less about folks complaining about pricing. I do support flagging of dealers that mark em up, we need to keep wind of that.

I scored my TRD Sport 6MT at $44,200, so I had room to add goodies like level kit and new 265/70 BFG ko2's. Yes it all costs more but that is what happens with out-of-control government spending and no sound fiscal policy regarding oversight of the Treasury Dept. WE get massive inflation with wages staying pretty flat.

I have a credit score of 877 and could not get better than 6.99%. If you are complaining about pricing, then you probably cannot afford these trucks or premium models.
Some folk say the same thing about having to finance and not paying cash....to each their own..your mula...

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
When I traded my son's 2019 Tacoma SR5 4x4 on my 2024 Off Road and got 88% of what I paid, I was happy! You don't get class leading residual value and the cheapest price. I know we want both but Toyota is not a rookie car company. They researched prices etc. They also have sales goals and if the tacoma does not hit those goals they will lower the price or add incentives or both.

I have heard people say that the 2024 is not on the list of high residual values. Nonsense, it is on the list and there are only two trucks on the list. Both Toyotas. Kelly Blue look has used historical data to put the 2024 Tacoma on the list. Banks and dealers all use KBB so you can be sure that when you buy a 2024 Tacoma there is data backing up the fact you will get more on your trade when that time comes.

It is like buying the same floorplan house in two different neighborhoods. One may likely cost more based on the neighborhood, but you will get more when you sell. They are all trucks, but Toyotas cost more and hold their value better for a reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJE

johnandri

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
I'm on LI too. Use the Toyota web site Smart Path system. Transparent pricing and you can make the deals online and find SRP pricing. The only Smart Path dealer on LI that looked to be doing uncharges over SRP appeared to be Riverhead. Just be prepared to wait. Takes almost a month from assembly date to arrive at your dealer. If the dealer doesn't want to honor the online price quote, complain to Toyota corporate and to BBB for false advertising. A negative Google review can also be very effective. It works. Don't ask me how. 🤫 Just picked up my TRD Offroad a couple of days ago.
Thank you for the intel, much appreciated!

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
Great thread. Don't go to Taco World; that's a hot mess. Some thoughts: Tundra pricing was the first hint at what the new TRD Pro and other models might be priced at. Second, I was eyeing the Denalis and AT4s last year. Their pricing gave me another clue about where the Tacoma would likely start, price-wise. Unfortunately, the TH and PRO are halo vehicles, and you could probably include the Limited in that category, at least in terms of cost. Joe SixPack isn't the target demographic. He's left with everything below the Halos, at a steeper price—but these are the times we're in.

Premium Pricing Strategy
When a business decides to maintain a higher price point like $500, despite the ability to produce more at a lower cost, it often aims to maximize profit margins rather than volumes. This strategy can be particularly effective if:

1. Brand Positioning: The product is positioned as a high-quality or luxury item, making the higher price part of its appeal.
  2. Customer Loyalty: The targeted customers may have a higher brand loyalty and a greater willingness to pay due to perceived value, exclusivity, or superior features.
  3. Reduced Price Sensitivity: The targeted segment is less sensitive to price changes, either due to their income levels or because the product represents a small portion of their overall spending.

North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Lexus LX470. 2022 Can Am Commander XT-P Max
I wouldn't have so much of an issue with the price point for a Trailhunter (even though I'm sure its inflated) if I wanted everything included in the price ... but I don't. I'm probably looking at ~$5k or more, i.e. getting on for 10% of the price, for stuff I have no interest in. Could I live with it ... yes, but it has me considering other options when I otherwise wouldn't be.

Those items are
  1. The Moonroof; had one for quarter of a century in my Audi A6 and hardly used it.
I do not think Trailhunters are coming with a moonroof. The production trucks from the recent first drive event did not have them and TRD Jon on YouTube recently said with confidence that they do not have them. There has been some confusion over this (Toyota's website said they did and the pre-production trucks had them) but I'm now pretty sure they don't have them.

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Tacoma Off-Road; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
I do not think Trailhunters are coming with a moonroof. The production trucks from the recent first drive event did not have them and TRD Jon on YouTube recently said with confidence that they do not have them. There has been some confusion over this (Toyota's website said they did and the pre-production trucks had them) but I'm now pretty sure they don't have them.
This is a strange one. Toyota has communicated since launch (earlier videos with Sheldon) that they didn’t come with one. But the Toyota build page shows they do.. I personally don’t want one since I’ll have a Lone Peak camper shell that will cover it. And I imagine many Trailhunter owners will have a roof rack or something else covering it. I hope that what TRD Jon is saying is correct. It seems correct since all the TH’s at the drive event didn’t have the. I don’t think the Pro’s did either and I thought the configurator showed it standard there as well. My guess is that it's just Toyota's build page being wonky, seems like there have been several inconsistencies.
2024 Tacoma Pricing: Can we please get over it or move on? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 5.27.44 PM

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
To be fair, my build date spec sheet shows a moonroof for my Trailhunter short boi... Now I'd be kind of sad not to have it!

(bottom right, three bullets up)

2024 Tacoma Pricing: Can we please get over it or move on? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] Rui Trailhunter Confirmation Page 2 of 3

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
This is a strange one. Toyota has communicated since launch (earlier videos with Sheldon) that they didn’t come with one. But the Toyota build page shows they do.. I personally don’t want one since I’ll have a Lone Peak camper shell that will cover it. And I imagine many Trailhunter owners will have a roof rack or something else covering it. I hope that what TRD Jon is saying is correct. It seems correct since all the TH’s at the drive event didn’t have the. I don’t think the Pro’s did either and I thought the configurator showed it standard there as well. My guess is that it's just Toyota's build page being wonky, seems like there have been several inconsistencies.
Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 5.27.44 PM.png
On that note of stuff we don't need...would be killer if the sport bar is standard but optional to delete during the allocation step / save us $1500 on back yard ornaments!

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Tacoma Off-Road; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
On that note of stuff we don't need...would be killer if the sport bar is standard but optional to delete during the allocation step / save us $1500 on back yard ornaments!
100% agree
Sponsored