Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tacoma4g.com
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
We just captured the first look at a prototype for the new 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro (or possibly new TRD Trailhunter), showing a bevy of off-road-focused features we’ve never seen on prior test trucks. Toyota has shown a teaser image of a Tacoma TRD Pro tailgate (along with a hybrid badge) in anticipation of the new truck’s arrival later this year. But these shots go far beyond the teasers, and provide some real insight into the makeup of a significantly off-road-ready prototype now in the works at Toyota’s R&D centers.

With these new shots, we see a more aggressively outfitted Tacoma, with a more high-clearance front bumper design and a prominent front skid plate protecting its chin. A chunky front-fascia can be discerned beneath the camo. The Tacoma’s tire size can’t be read, but this prototype is wearing Goodyear Wrangler Territory MTs—the same tires applied to the Chevy Colorado ZR2/GMC Canyon AT4X twins, along with the more off-road-ready examples of the Ford Bronco.

We also see evidence of rocker protection tubes running along the sills, and a roof rack system that became exposed when the prototype’s roof camo came loose and flew off into the weeds at highway speeds.

Wearing a Snorkel?

It looks like this Tacoma TRD Pro might be equipped with a snorkel exhaust system, for ultimate water-fording abilities. The camo on the prototype’s passenger-side A-pillar is heavier than the driver’s-side. A look from the rear-3/4 view suggests that a snorkel may be running tightly along the a-pillar, showing signs of venting near the headliner. Follow the possible snorkel down to the passenger-side front fender, and it looks like the camo bulges out where the exhaust is mounted onto the bodywork as it feeds into the engine bay. The treatment here looks like it may be similar to the snorkel system fitted to the Ford Bronco Everglades. It’s also noteworthy that there is no visible exhaust poking through the rear camo, which has appeared as with a driver’s-side exit on all prior prototypes. It looks like the exhaust has been completely rerouted for a snorkel system on this prototype.

2024 Tacoma Spied: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro / Trailhunter Prototype 1st Sighting Reveals Rugged Off-Road Details + Rear Disc Brakes 📸 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-prototype-1
2024 Tacoma Spied: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro / Trailhunter Prototype 1st Sighting Reveals Rugged Off-Road Details + Rear Disc Brakes 📸 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-prototype-2
2024 Tacoma Spied: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro / Trailhunter Prototype 1st Sighting Reveals Rugged Off-Road Details + Rear Disc Brakes 📸 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-prototype-3
2024 Tacoma Spied: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro / Trailhunter Prototype 1st Sighting Reveals Rugged Off-Road Details + Rear Disc Brakes 📸 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-prototype-4
2024 Tacoma Spied: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro / Trailhunter Prototype 1st Sighting Reveals Rugged Off-Road Details + Rear Disc Brakes 📸 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-prototype-5
2024 Tacoma Spied: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro / Trailhunter Prototype 1st Sighting Reveals Rugged Off-Road Details + Rear Disc Brakes 📸 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-prototype-6
2024 Tacoma Spied: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro / Trailhunter Prototype 1st Sighting Reveals Rugged Off-Road Details + Rear Disc Brakes 📸 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-prototype-7
2024 Tacoma Spied: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro / Trailhunter Prototype 1st Sighting Reveals Rugged Off-Road Details + Rear Disc Brakes 📸 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-prototype-8
2024 Tacoma Spied: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro / Trailhunter Prototype 1st Sighting Reveals Rugged Off-Road Details + Rear Disc Brakes 📸 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-prototype-9
2024 Tacoma Spied: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro / Trailhunter Prototype 1st Sighting Reveals Rugged Off-Road Details + Rear Disc Brakes 📸 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-prototype-10
2024 Tacoma Spied: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro / Trailhunter Prototype 1st Sighting Reveals Rugged Off-Road Details + Rear Disc Brakes 📸 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-prototype-11
2024 Tacoma Spied: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro / Trailhunter Prototype 1st Sighting Reveals Rugged Off-Road Details + Rear Disc Brakes 📸 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-prototype-12
2024 Tacoma Spied: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro / Trailhunter Prototype 1st Sighting Reveals Rugged Off-Road Details + Rear Disc Brakes 📸 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-prototype-13
2024 Tacoma Spied: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro / Trailhunter Prototype 1st Sighting Reveals Rugged Off-Road Details + Rear Disc Brakes 📸 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-prototype-14
2024 Tacoma Spied: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro / Trailhunter Prototype 1st Sighting Reveals Rugged Off-Road Details + Rear Disc Brakes 📸 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-prototype-15
2024 Tacoma Spied: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro / Trailhunter Prototype 1st Sighting Reveals Rugged Off-Road Details + Rear Disc Brakes 📸 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-prototype-16
2024 Tacoma Spied: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro / Trailhunter Prototype 1st Sighting Reveals Rugged Off-Road Details + Rear Disc Brakes 📸 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-prototype-17
2024 Tacoma Spied: 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro / Trailhunter Prototype 1st Sighting Reveals Rugged Off-Road Details + Rear Disc Brakes 📸 2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-prototype-18
Sponsored

Last edited:

ToyTrucker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Thanks for all the pics! It looks like finally we're getting rear disc brakes judging by the photos

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
Does the cab/bed look longer on this than in other pictures? Almost looks like this is another configuration, however a longer wheelbase is not as good for off roading correct?

While I think these off road trucks look cool they are not of interest to me as I know I would never do anything close to what they are capable of doing. If they had an appearance package that didn't affect MPG to bad I would be interested in that. I had a 2002 Ford Ranger in the past that was a base XL, but when I got a chance I put bigger wheels/tires on it and it had a beefier look. Of course I wasn't as worried about MPG's back then.

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
A Jeep with 40" tires in a technical rock climb in Moab is better off with a short wheel base, but a heavy overland built vehicle could benefit from a longer wheel base because it helps spread that weight out a bit. My Fj wants to roll a lot (either on its side or backwards) because of the weight in it, as my buddies with trucks do a lot better on the same trails. I am personally looking forward to a slightly longer wheel base for my next vehicle.

30% of the Tacoma sales are to people like me. So while these off road trucks look fantastic from my perspective, don't worry. Plenty of options will be coming for the other 70% of you who don't need all this stuff.

Its hard to judge the size of the truck in the photos. But it looks like an access cab, and they just no longer have the suicide style door. Which I am excited to see, because this configuration hasn't been offered in a TRD Pro variation before. I would like the extra bed space for the camper setup.

Last edited:

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Jeep with 40" tires in a technical rock climb in Moab is better off with a short wheel base, but a heavy overland built vehicle could benefit from a longer wheel base because it helps spread that weight out a bit. My Fj wants to roll a lot (either on its side or backwards) because of the weight in it, as my buddies with trucks do a lot better on the same trails. I am personally looking forward to a slightly longer wheel base for my next vehicle.

30% of the Tacoma sales are to people like me. So while these off road trucks look fantastic from my perspective, don't worry. Plenty of options will be coming for the other 70% of you who don't need all this stuff.

Its hard to judge the size of the truck in the photos. But it looks like an access cab, and they just no longer have the suicide style door. Which I am excited to see, because this configuration hasn't been offered in a TRD Pro variation before. I would like the extra bed space for the camper setup.
Thanks for the additional explanation for us who are not familiar.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota, Jeep
Yeah,... that's a trim and configuration that would not be making it to my driveway.

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Silverado, 14 JKUR
Those might be Wrangler Territories, but they’re ATs, not MTs, like on the domestic off-road offerings.

LayZboy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Tacoma , 2003 4Runner V8
MT on this tire stands for maximum traction Not Mud Terrain.

2TR-FE

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tacoma SR5
i love the long bed. I can’t live without one

Dr. Carmaker1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 TRD Pro 6MT, multiple vehicles (20+)
Not that I would know, but one just isn't certain if there will be multiple cab configurations going forward. One can see the trend with GM, but it doesn't necessarily mean it applies to all of their competition. GM is the exception to the rule, in terms of long beds and multiple cab configurations.

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not that I would know, but one just isn't certain if there will be multiple cab configurations going forward. One can see the trend with GM, but it doesn't necessarily mean it applies to all of their competition. GM is the exception to the rule, in terms of long beds and multiple cab configurations.
It would seem that models with lower volumes would consider less configurations for sure. In many of the reviews of the GM twins it was noted about the simplicity of the line up.... across all trims etc there were some basic features etc that were there no matter what. As one reviewer put it that it should help with supply chain issues for them as well if that is a factor in the future. They obviously have to know the breakdown of all the configurations and figured the costs outweighed the benefit

Dr. Carmaker1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 TRD Pro 6MT, multiple vehicles (20+)
It would seem that models with lower volumes would consider less configurations for sure. In many of the reviews of the GM twins it was noted about the simplicity of the line up.... across all trims etc there were some basic features etc that were there no matter what. As one reviewer put it that it should help with supply chain issues for them as well if that is a factor in the future. They obviously have to know the breakdown of all the configurations and figured the costs outweighed the benefit
Hopefully the case with the Tacoma, that the volumes favor multiple configs. This is what allowed them to dominate the class in 2005. So many different combinations to choose from. Only Dodge (V8s, etc) and Nissan (long bed), offered as much variety, but the brand name allowed Toyota to take crown.
Sponsored