Not open for further replies.

09jsw

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 4d trd or
right! right off the factory floor they went on a extremely long road trip.
The reality of new vehicles and owners is the opposite. Most cars don’t get broken in at all. The only break would be to vary the rpm to help seat the rings better. A long drive is 100% a zero issue. New cars/trucks are made to get right to work. You don’t need to short trip them.

webshot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Checked in with our friends at TFL and here's where they're at. Will update if I learn more.

"It got dropped off at the dealer and within an hour the front driveline was off the truck and shipped to Toyota to diagnose."
Could the "Front Driveline" imply the CV's and Diff were fine?...

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
I don't think it rules anything out.
I'd imagine even if it was a CV, they'd want to see if another component caused a failure. If you or I had this happen they'd probably replace a part and send us on our way. TFL can probably wait. Plus, more content means more views!

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Silverado, 14 JKUR
Possible issues (in my tiny mind):
CV had a manufacturing/assembly defect?
CV was the incorrect part (possible there are multiple CV parts for different trims?)
Center axle disconnect wasn’t engaged fully (due to a burr on something) ?
Failure was actually in the t-case?
I seriously doubt anything in the front driveline is actually under-sized or under-spec’d. hopefully we’ll hear soon.

ScottyTaco

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco and camry
So does everyone who drives an extremely long way to pick up their Taco, or whatever vehicle they're buying!
vehicle should not have popped like that for sure. but ive been around cars and mechanics for a while. metal is still metal, it needs head and cold cycles and stress cycles. thats just my opinion, and im curious if you where to ask real mechanics their professional opinion if they would have done a long road trip right out of the gate on a expensive 10 year investment.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
vehicle should not have popped like that for sure. but ive been around cars and mechanics for a while. metal is still metal, it needs head and cold cycles and stress cycles. thats just my opinion, and im curious if you where to ask real mechanics their professional opinion if they would have done a long road trip right out of the gate on a expensive 10 year investment.
Are you thinking that those heat, cold, and stress cycles are supposed to occur after delivery or before? Hint: it's not after.

Are you thinking that the long road trip right out the gate (that most of us that order across the country do) had some form of impact on the failure they experienced? It seems incredibly unlikely to me.

And I have no idea why you seem to think that it's a 10 year investment for TFL. They buy those vehicles to test and compare them to make money from sharing that experience, not to baby them so they last 10 years.

Tacanta14

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BD Hardtop 4Dr 2.3 MT
My comment was not about the TFL failure, it was about how EVERYONE who travels an "extremely long distance" to buy their vehicle, whatever that vehicle might be, drives it the same extremely long distance to get home.

ScottyTaco

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco and camry
Are you thinking that those heat, cold, and stress cycles are supposed to occur after delivery or before? Hint: it's not after.

Are you thinking that the long road trip right out the gate (that most of us that order across the country do) had some form of impact on the failure they experienced? It seems incredibly unlikely to me.

And I have no idea why you seem to think that it's a 10 year investment for TFL. They buy those vehicles to test and compare them to make money from sharing that experience, not to baby them so they last 10 years.
I completely agree I was just generalizing and I’m not the only one who thought that they way they started using the truck was a bit extreme. @JimS posted the break in cycle directly from this vehicles manual early in this chat and shows they went against the manufacturer recommendations. And I should have been more articulate about the 10 year comment. I’m generalizing that most of us buy Toyotas to last a while and if I’m going to try and hold this for 10 years I’d rather take an extra day or so and heat cycle it and baby it for a month. I completely agree it should be able to handle anything out of the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.