Sponsored

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
He drove like 15 hours to get it! Glad he stopped to let some air out of his seriously over inflated tires. All four of my tires were at 42 psi when I picked it up when recommended is 30 psi. If you have a long drive after picking up your truck, check your psi before!

PS- I like the lighter paint colors better!

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
Isn't it still a thing to drive the first 500 to 1,000 miles normally, not letting the engine lug in any gear for long, lifting the foot off the gas pedal every now and then, let the cylinder vacuum suck up a little more oil around the piston rings, change the oil and filter around five hundred miles?

Blue Crush Taco

First Name
Dare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport
He drove like 15 hours to get it! Glad he stopped to let some air out of his seriously over inflated tires. All four of my tires were at 42 psi when I picked it up when recommended is 30 psi. If you have a long drive after picking up your truck, check your psi before!

PS- I like the lighter paint colors better!
It's funny, after watching his video I went out and checked my air pressure as well. I'll be darned if they weren't filled to almost 50 psi. Wonder why dealers are doing this?

PYLDRVR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
It's funny, after watching his video I went out and checked my air pressure as well. I'll be darned if they weren't filled to almost 50 psi. Wonder why dealers are doing this?
I always figured it was because they have a lot cars and some sit on the lot for a while and this way they don't have to check pressures as often or worry about it when someone wants to take a test drive.

Sponsored

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
It’s the untrained staff filling the air in the tires to the max psi stated on the tire, and not the recommended psi. See it all the time

CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium and 2007 Sequioa LTD
My tires were 40psi when I picked it up form the dealer, that was the first thing I checked and set when I performed PDI’s on Toyotas in the mid 80’s. We had to install trim rings, mirrors, check all fluid levels, pull the cardboard from the disk breaks and undercoat them along with multiple other things. It was a true inspiration.

Blue Crush Taco

First Name
Dare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport
It’s the untrained staff filling the air in the tires to the max psi stated on the tire, and not the recommended psi. See it all the time
I figured probably as much. I didn't really pay attention until I saw trd Jon's video. I'll see tomorrow how it is on the highway when I head into work.

Sockeye

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma 2023 4Runner Bell 205 Helicopter
Notice how the Tacomas are shipped.
They strap the wheels down to the car carrier or rail car to avoid hooking up to any part of the frame or suspension.
That strap has a rachet and the pressure will crush the tire without adding the additional air, thus the higher tire pressures upon delivery we are seeing here.

The dealerships need to pay attention to details like this during the pdi.
There is a check list to follow and the tire pressures along with the wheel lug nut torque checks are part of the pdi process, obviously not being followed in these instances.

Let this be a lesson on how not to take delivery of a new Tacoma, take a check list with you and take your time, this was a rushed delivery.

Take the time to become familiar with the information display and find the tire pressure readings.
Bring a good quality tire gauge and compare it to the trucks display so you don't have to idle it while airing up or down.
Check your oil level before starting the engine and note that cold engine level on the dipstick, make sure the coolant levels are within spec as well, take nothing for granted.

I would switch it up between variable speeds/rpms as well for first 1000k or so, constant steady rpm or cruise control over an extended period of time on a fresh engine isn't wise.
Also for those folks new to turbo engines, remember the engine oil is cooling the turbo, try to idle for a minute or so after steep grades or high speed/rpm driving the turbo will thank you.

2024 Tacoma TRD Jon traded his 3rd gen for 2024 Tacoma TRD OR + 600 Mile Road Trip Tacoma_Tire_Straps_Delivery

Last edited:

Rick_Shear

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
It’s my understanding they do this for carrier transport to make the tires more rigid to strap them down. Part of the dealers check is supposed to be setting the tire pressure to the proper setting for driving.

Sponsored

Blue Crush Taco

First Name
Dare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport
It’s my understanding they do this for carrier transport to make the tires more rigid to strap them down. Part of the dealers check is supposed to be setting the tire pressure to the proper setting for driving.
Interesting, I didn't know they strapped the trucks down by the tires. Cool thanks

Sockeye

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would idle for a few minutes longer than the Toyota manual recommends after climbing a long steep grade. The new Tacoma has a coolant to oil cooler located at the oil filter, so far I haven't seen a dedicated transmisssion cooler, I may be wrong.

Where I live the mountain grades are steeper than a cows face and long.
I would err on the side of caution and let the truck idle the entire time if I were stopping for a short break at the summit, especially if I was towing or was at or near max payload.

We also have a 2020 F-150 Super Crew 2.7 ecoboost here at our Heliport we use to shuttle helicopter pilots and gear through the mountain pass and that truck has a payload package with dedicated oil and transmission coolers from the factory, I would do the same with that truck even with the extra cooling capacity.

I attached page 187 from section 4 of the new Tacoma manual.
This is cool down time specifically for the turbo for reference.
I hadn't read it before making the above mentioned comment, I always do this with our F-150 2.7 turbo.

This recommendation is for "idling time before engine stop" from the Toyota Tacoma Manual "to prevent damage to the turbo" calls for a 1 minute cool down after steep hill driving or continuous driving over 62/mp/h (100 km/h). That would be the bare minimum in my world.
2024 Tacoma TRD Jon traded his 3rd gen for 2024 Tacoma TRD OR + 600 Mile Road Trip 2024_Tacoma_Coolant_to_Oil_Cooler

Attachments

Last edited:

Sockeye

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here we have another example of a 2024 Tacoma delivery with over inflated tires.

This is from a youtuber Mark Brenner 2 weeks after taking delivery of his new Tacoma.
He finally locates the tire pressures while flicking through the display during a trip to Westcott Designs to have some mods installed.

Hardcore...his tires are at 54 psi front and 53 psi rear with the stock tires.
He had previously switched out the stock tires for some 37's, they were rubbing so he switched back to the stock tires again for the trip...and still hadn't noticed the over inflated rubber..oof.
Remember folks, check even the most basic operating specs on your new vehicle.

Scrub the video to 7:35 when he discovers the tire pressures while checking the fuel economy on the highway...even he is surprised..wtf.

Sponsored

Last edited: