Sponsored

TRD Off-Road Upgrade Package worth $4,640??

Snowjunky24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot
Just got my allocation arriving end of Feb
I’m wondering is $4640 is worth it for still having cloth seats. Doesn’t seem worth the money
Does it include somthing not listed?????

TRD Off-Road Upgrade Package (5ft bed) — includes 8-way power-adjustable front seats, leather-trimmed heated steering wheel, JBL® Premium Audio with JBL® FLEX portable speaker, Qi Wireless Charging, Front and Rear Parking Assist with Automatic Braking, pre- wired auxiliary switches, AC power inverter, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller (ITBC), and power horizontal rear window.
Sponsored

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
If it doesn't seem worth it, don't get it? In Canada, there's no upgrade package. It's just OR or OR Premium. At least you have an intermediate option if you want the JBL system or trailer brake controller 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP

Snowjunky24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot
I would have to wait for next round of allocations. I Can’t chose options I do or don’t want with Toyota.
portable speaker and sliding rear window doesn’t seem worth the 5g that’s all. Unless there’s somthing I’m missing that’s not listed???

stokes32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Does anyone know if the Off Road trim comes with the ability to unlock/lock and start with your phone? Or is that part of the Upgrade or Premium package?

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tundra
The remote start in the App is free for a year then subscription based along with the nav. I did not renew on my Tundra. I just use Waze and some people say the key fob can still remote start but I haven’t gotten it to work yet. Pretty crappy that I bought a limited with the large screen, only to have my nav and remote unlock-lock/start on the app be subscription based. That cheap ss move by Toyota will result in me buying my last Toyota.

Last edited:

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
The remote start in the App is free for a year then subscription based along with the nav. I did not renew on my Tundra. I just use Waze and some people say the key fob can still remote start but I haven’t gotten it to work yet. Pretty crappy that I bought a limited with the large screen, only to have my nav and remote unlock-lock/start on the app be subscription based. That cheap ss move by Toyota will result in me buying my last Toyota.
Unfortunately, they all are doing it now. I don't even use the nav on my F150 (use Google Maps on CarPlay) but I think my NAV will stop working by summer. My wife's Subaru is subscription based remote start as well.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tundra
I kind of see what you’re saying. It looks like the Ford Sync 4 Nav maps wont update after 3 years without a subscription. However, for Toyota the App and the nav maps brick after 1 year. They have zero map and remote functionality without the subscription. Ford won’t give you live updates but it still lets you use the map and Ford Pass app.

I’ve owned Toyotas consecutively since 1989. I bought them for myself and my kids. This is the first Toyota that I have owned where I feel the model build quality has gone backwards. This truck is not as durable or well build as my previous generation Tundras. The technology, styling, and safety equipment is better but that’s it. Adding a 9k premium package on the Tacoma and you don’t get to keep the services, on top of the build quality issues; that’s not a winning formula. Look at Tundra sales, they are cratering. The Tacoma will sell well for 24 months due to limited supply, but I think they will decrease after that and resale prices will decline due to the high upcharge for premium trim packages.
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Upgrade Package worth $4,640?? IMG_4137

Last edited:

Tacohunter2024

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 Prime → '24 TRD OR or Sport
I’m wondering is $4640 is worth it for still having cloth seats. Doesn’t seem worth the money

TRD Off-Road Upgrade Package (5ft bed) — includes 8-way power-adjustable front seats, leather-trimmed heated steering wheel, JBL® Premium Audio with JBL® FLEX portable speaker, Qi Wireless Charging, Front and Rear Parking Assist with Automatic Braking, pre- wired auxiliary switches, AC power inverter, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller (ITBC), and power horizontal rear window.
I understand where you're coming from. All I really care about outside of standard options is the 14" touchscreen, the MTM camera system, and the Qi Wireless charging. The first 2 because my vision is falling off a cliff and the wireless charging because I'm done fumbling around cords all the time. In order to get those 3 options, I need to spend $8,800 on a premium package...ugh.

I thought about the $4,640 package, but I'd have to step up to the $5,420 to get the 14" screen. So I would get that at minimum. I think it's down to, do I get an i-Force with premium or the i-ForceMax with the $5,420 package (assuming they don't change all the package pricing with the hybrids). I don't need to wait for the pricing on the hybrids to know I can't afford an iForceMax with the premium package.

It looks like they've done a nice job with the truck, but their packaging structure has me keeping one eye on the GMC Canyon. I'm sure the Tacoma is the better truck, but I'm not spending an extra $8,000 for it.

Also, side note venting, lol. Toyota, the AWD/Auto option that you have on the Limited...you took all the time to develop that, but only offer it on one trim? 4x4 doesn't help me on a windy winter day where there's dry pavement mixed with occasional snow covered patches from drifting or black ice. IE one quarter of the year in upstate New York. Off my soapbox now.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
I kind of see what you’re saying. It looks like the Ford Sync 4 Nav maps wont update after 3 years without a subscription. However, for Toyota the App and the nav maps brick after 1 year. They have zero map and remote functionality without the subscription. Ford won’t give you live updates but it still lets you use the map and Ford Pass app.

I’ve owned Toyotas consecutively since 1989. I bought them for myself and my kids. This is the first Toyota that I have owned where I feel the model build quality has gone backwards. This truck is not as durable or well build as my previous generation Tundras. The technology, styling, and safety equipment is better but that’s it. Adding a 9k premium package on the Tacoma and you don’t get to keep the services, on top of the build quality issues; that’s not a winning formula. Look at Tundra sales, they are cratering. The Tacoma will sell well for 24 months due to limited supply, but I think they will decrease after that and resale prices will decline due to the high upcharge for premium trim packages.
IMG_4137.png
Tundra sales are ‘cratering’ (although you used that word not me) probably because they’re ugly as F. The mustache facia needs to go. Some of the wheels and trim jobs on those Tundras are hideous. Even the TRD Pro Tundras are an acquired taste those are the best looking setups in the quiver.

Tacanta14

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BD Hardtop 4Dr 2.3 MT

The front seats are also heated, and I'm going with the mudguards, which brings it to $4700.

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
Tundra sales are ‘cratering’ (although you used that word not me) probably because they’re ugly as F.
Agree 100%. My wife who knows nothing about trucks saw one and asked “why don’t you just get one of those?”. Proud to say our relationship survived that comment but yeah those snouts on the front are absolutely horrible.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
Agree 100%. My wife who knows nothing about trucks saw one and asked “why don’t you just get one of those?”. Proud to say our relationship survived that comment but yeah those snouts on the front are absolutely horrible.
Apparently there’s 3 fans in the front compartment- but the Sequoia is rounder and has an iForceMax / same setup…? Love the Sequoia nose, agree with others who think they need to get back to this aero design or at least a compromise between the gen 4 taco and Tundra

EDIT: Sequoia nose w/the Heritage grille! 🤙🏼

Last edited:
OP
OP

Snowjunky24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot
I ended up getting a low option sr5 for 40g. 11g less then the trdor I was allocated

JED

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport

I started down the road of a level 1 premium. My real priority was a premium sound system. The addition cost of $3000 from my options of heat seats and 14” screen didn’t make sense.

I’ll spend some money propping up this sound system (really only needs base) mid range is good and treble is a bit weak.

These are trucks. How you intend to use them spans a large range.

Ob1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 TRD off-road
Does anyone know if the Off Road trim comes with the ability to unlock/lock and start with your phone? Or is that part of the Upgrade or Premium package?
It does come with that feature mine has it.
Sponsored