Sponsored

907Yota

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Toyota Xtracab 4WD
I went to the Detroit Auto show on Sunday. It is disappointing that Toyota only had two trucks on static display, and the Tacoma is locked.

Meanwhile, Jeep, Ford, Ram, an GM were running their vehicles through some crazy obstacle courses and allowing you to ride along.

It just makes it appear that Toyota is courting the mall crawler crowd rather than anyone serious about an off road truck. 🤨

2024 Tacoma Videos: 2024 Tacoma TRD OFF-ROAD Interior & Exterior Hands-On Reviews at Detroit Autoshow IMG_2919

2024 Tacoma Videos: 2024 Tacoma TRD OFF-ROAD Interior & Exterior Hands-On Reviews at Detroit Autoshow IMG_2918
Sponsored

Jeeper Defector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Jeep JT Gladiator
I went to the Detroit Auto show on Sunday. It is disappointing that Toyota only had two trucks on static display, and the Tacoma is locked.

Meanwhile, Jeep, Ford, Ram, an GM were running their vehicles through some crazy obstacle courses and allowing you to ride along.

It just makes it appear that Toyota is courting the mall crawler crowd rather than anyone serious about an off road truck. 🤨
Keep in mind tho you were at the Detroit show which is the Big 3's "home show" in their backyard, so they go all out for the show.

The Big 3 brands' presence at the show dwarfs every other major manufacturer (many which don't even bother attending anymore). These brands didn't even bother having a stand at the show -- VW, Audi, Mazda, Jaguar, Land Rover, Kia, Hyundai, Genesis, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Porsche, Volvo, Subaru, Lexus.

So we're actually lucky Toyota was at the show and showed at least one Tacoma.

907Yota

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Toyota Xtracab 4WD
Yea, I realize they are playing in enemy waters so to speak in Detroit. LOL The whole show was way smaller this year. I suspect the UAW strike had an impact. I didn't really expect a driving course, I just wish I could have got inside. I am buying one, it's just a matter of which model. I guess I'm getting impatient.

The good news is, I liked the Tacoma after seeing it in person. The rep didn't have firm production dates other than the next couple of months.

Desert4G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
The only thing I don't like is that Toyota decided to use a metal ARB rear bumper instead of a front bumper. Similar to what the Bronco has. A metal front bumper is so much more useful than putting it on the rear.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
The only thing I don't like is that Toyota decided to use a metal ARB rear bumper instead of a front bumper. Similar to what the Bronco has. A metal front bumper is so much more useful than putting it on the rear.
I would assume it's because they figure those who want a bumper, especially winch capable, would end up aftermarket anyways. Also would've cost way more than the rear bumper for how simple it is. The rear is what will get hung up more too. If they did do a front bumper, I'm sure there may still be complaints (no hoop/bull bar, not winch capable, or if an arb - too much or bulky). Personally, I may be OK with an arb bumper, but never really been a big fan asthetically. I do like the ones that replace the center black plastic tho. That's just me.
Sponsored