Sponsored

Will the 4th Gen Tacomas hold their value as well as previous gens?

FoxTRDPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Hi all,

Curious to hear what you all think about how well the new generation Tacomas will hold their value - I have heard a few stories of 4th gen Taco's struggling to sell and overall a love/hate relationship within the truck community.

I am very close to purchasing a 4th gen myself, but I am worried that with the mixed reviews of these new trucks, Toyota will make some price gouges and/or MSRP adjustments. Let me know what you all think!
Sponsored

Clervis

First Name
Clervis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geo Metro
Just as 4th gen failing to sell, older gens crazy resales values are really short term phenomena. Reliability is the biggest driver of value holding. I see no reason at this point to think the 4th gens will be less reliable despite what the anti-turbo luddites say. The second biggest driver probably has something to do with reputation, buzz, or general enthusiasm for the brand, which is harder to predict. Like many other truck manufacturers, it seems like Toyota is doing a bit of a stretch toward more luxury (vs utility) which could tarnish the Tacoma's street cred as an affordable useable truck that also happens to be bulletproof.

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
It’s not just new Tacomas that they’re struggling to sell. It’s all vehicles. Interest rates suck and the prices are high. If you like the truck and it does what you need, buy it.
I traded in a third gen for the fourth and couldn’t be happier. I absolutely love the new Tacoma. It’s everything I’ve wanted in a midsize.

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
It’s a Toyota. All Toyota and Lexus products will always have a better resale over their competitor‘s comparable product. Vehicles not selling? Well it’s not a price point that many can afford with current rates etc. I’m sure $85K full size trucks aren’t selling like hotcakes either. In the end resale only matters if are going to sell it. If you’re going to drive it because it’s a reliable truck then resale doesn’t matter. I really doubt Toyota is going to risk too much on the 4G, it’s been a market leader for years for mid size trucks. Too much riding on the model for Toyota. That’s what makes it a great buy no matter what the haters say. Reputation speaks for itself.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
First off do yourself a favor and ignore any headline that says “ Tacoma‘s are not selling”. The problem is some guy in Podunk, Wyoming sees the same truck on this lot for a total two weeks and then wants to go make a video claiming they’re not selling. Yes, you will find some dealers around the country who are selling below MSRP but that’s a market based decision and has nothing to do with nationwide sales.

Finally, while I could go on and on with some other examples, my advice to you is buy the truck you want. Don’t worry about anything you’re hearing and enjoy it.

Sponsored

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
2024 Tacoma Will the 4th Gen Tacomas hold their value as well as previous gens? 1716211019607

hmmmn....I have never purchased or not purchsed a vehicle based on resale...your mula OP do what suits you......

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent
There are a lot of things to consider here. The TLDR of it comes down to two factors IMHO. First, trucks in general hold their value much better than other vehicles. Second, Toyota vehicles in general hold their value much better than other manufactures. There is no sure thing, but history is 100% on the Tacoma's side. Even if the market completely crashes, the Tacoma will likely be on the better end of it.

So I do believe that we MAY be on the cusp of many parts of our economy going through a major slow down. However, I would have thought it would have already hit by now sow what do I know. I believe the key factor is you just have to protect yourself as best you can.

Do NOT overpay for the vehicle when you buy it. Take your time and get the best deal you can. You have all the power here. I bought new vehicles in Dec 21 and Dec 22. Even at the height of dealer mark ups I was able to use Subaru VIP to get 2% below invoice. Those deals are out there for Tacomas right now and they seem to only be getting better.

Last edited:

Daveintb

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 SR5 2wd
An educated guess here, but I’m thinking it will hold more of its value compared to its competition.

Tacomanoob

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4G Tacoma
When I see video of people putting out Tacoma not selling, makes me wonder is this really true. Here at home the trucks sell before it hits inventory, Its kind of sold in transit. Specially during early part of April to May, There was like 150 trucks on transit and inventory listed on the Website and was all gone in less than half a day. This state must have sold easy couple thousand probably from April and May

OP
OP

FoxTRDPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
When I see video of people putting out Tacoma not selling, makes me wonder is this really true. Here at home the trucks sell before it hits inventory, Its kind of sold in transit. Specially during early part of April to May, There was like 150 trucks on transit and inventory listed on the Website and was all gone in less than half a day. This state must have sold easy couple thousand probably from April and May
The majority of the vehicles that are on the lot near me, have very few “bells and whistles”. It seems that the trucks sitting on the lot are the base models with little to no options. If I am going to be spending close to 50k on a truck, I don’t want cloth seats lol.

Sponsored

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
The majority of the vehicles that are on the lot near me, have very few “bells and whistles”. It seems that the trucks sitting on the lot are the base models with little to no options. If I am going to be spending close to 50k on a truck, I don’t want cloth seats lol.
This is my experience as well.

This dealer I stopped at last night is huge. Easily 25 Tundras on the lot. There were 3 white Tacos: 1 SR5 and 2 SRs. That’s all they had.

Anything with packaged options is gone before it hits the lot.

2024 Tacoma Will the 4th Gen Tacomas hold their value as well as previous gens? IMG_1624

2024 Tacoma Will the 4th Gen Tacomas hold their value as well as previous gens? IMG_1626

Tacomanoob

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4G Tacoma
The only thing worrying me is the Tundras engine problem. Due to the huge recall coming out for the engine recall in a little while, everyone is dumping their tundra before their warranty runs out. Hopefully this motor is better design so that issue is not going to happen with tacoma, because engine problem like that would kill the taco resell value like crazy.

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
Unlikely. The price increases and US car market falling into a spin are going to have a negative effect on the resale of these trucks. It will likely cause the 23 and older trucks to get a bump in value.
Sponsored