Sponsored

Wireless charging pad issue

prymalimstynct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Hey all,

I am curious if anyone else has observed the wireless charging pad only working intermittently?

I have a Google Pixel 7a that supports wireless charging via Qi, but I have noticed it will show charging when I initially put the phone down, but within 5 minutes it will stop charging.

I can pick up the phone and put it back but the charging will not start again until the truck is powered off, and back on.
Sponsored

spenticus

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I just experienced this last night. I had remote started the truck. When I got to the car and initially set it down on the charging pad, it wouldn’t charge at all. I turned the truck off and then turned it back on and then it worked.

I hadn’t had that issue at all before then.

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Mine works fine with my iPhone 14. I've had a few times where I hit a bump and it bounced off the charger momentarily. Are you using a thick case?

cuechairo

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(TBD) 2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Hey all,

I am curious if anyone else has observed the wireless charging pad only working intermittently?

I have a Google Pixel 7a that supports wireless charging via Qi, but I have noticed it will show charging when I initially put the phone down, but within 5 minutes it will stop charging.

I can pick up the phone and put it back but the charging will not start again until the truck is powered off, and back on.
I have a Pixel 8 and also notice it stop wireless charging intermittently. I do notice it gets pretty warm while simultaneously charging and running wireless android auto, so I'm not sure if it is automatically stops charging due to temps

OP
OP

prymalimstynct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Mine works fine with my iPhone 14. I've had a few times where I hit a bump and it bounced off the charger momentarily. Are you using a thick case?
I don't, but I did try taking off the case to see if it made things better and there was no change.

OP
OP

prymalimstynct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I have a Pixel 8 and also notice it stop wireless charging intermittently. I do notice it gets pretty warm while simultaneously charging and running wireless android auto, so I'm not sure if it is automatically stops charging due to temps
That could be it, I noticed the same thing one time I picked up the phone when charging was active.

That would be disappointing, maybe time to pick a different phone vendor next time I get a new one.

cuechairo

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(TBD) 2024 Tacoma TRD OR
That could be it, I noticed the same thing one time I picked up the phone when charging was active.

That would be disappointing, maybe time to pick a different phone vendor next time I get a new one.
Yeah, I have been a fan of pixel phones for a long time, but ever since they started using the Google Tensor chips the phones went immediately downhill and have been recovering far too slowly.

chachakelly

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma - TRD Off Road
I have had the same problem since day 1 with charging my Samsung Galaxy S21. Overheats and doesn't even charge the phone more than a trickle. Charging is spotty and intermittent when the phone is in its case, but it still overheats. So I've been using the USB-C plugins, but then there's nowhere to put the phone, except for sideways in the same charging tray. Very annoying.

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road Premium
My iPhone also seems to work fine but I also have a mag safe case from Apple so that might help. It does get warm though

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
My S23 charges fine. It's in a very thin Spigen case. It gets fairly warm if charging and using Android Auto but that's not surprising.

SnowmanJPS

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru Outback XT (24 Pro on order)
my last two vehicles had wireless chargers and neither of them worked, they were glorified heaters, i actually removed the wireless charger from my outback so i could store stuff in the cubby

dvolman93

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma
Hey all,

In my opinion it’s not the greatest. It’s slightly better than one in my third gen (which I never used) but this one doesn’t charge as well either. I pulled the fuse and turned it off, since there isn’t an actually off button like in the third gen. Now I can use it to my phones without it charging. Truck had the four charging cables and the usb-c ports charge great. Nothing beats a direct connection.

I’ve had people say it most be the cases I use and it’s too thick. To that I reply, I don’t use cases on either of my phones. So that’s not it.

Toy-truck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
In my opinion it’s not the greatest. It’s slightly better than one in my third gen (which I never used) but this one doesn’t charge as well either. I pulled the fuse and turned it off, since there isn’t an actually off button like in the third gen. Now I can use it to my phones without it charging. Truck had the four charging cables and the usb-c ports charge great. Nothing beats a direct connection.

I’ve had people say it most be the cases I use and it’s too thick. To that I reply, I don’t use cases on either of my phones. So that’s not it.
Where is the fuse for it? is it under the front passenger dashboard or is it under the hood?

dvolman93

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma
Where is the fuse for it? is it under the front passenger dashboard or is it under the hood?
Under the front passenger side. There’s a lock panel that comes off by pushing in for clips. Simple to take off. A little more tedious to put in to line up. But the fuse is under there.