Sponsored

XtraCab will by 4x2 only?

Taco Libre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I’m hoping for some help here. Another forum member has recently claimed that a senior Toyota engineer said that XtraCab models will not be available in 4x4 guise. That would mean that the PreRunner is the “best” you can do for off-reading purposes, with its rear locker.

The claim seems genuine, but I’d really like to pin this issue down because I currently have a deposit down on a 4x4 XtraCab SR!

Has anyone seen confirmation of whether the XtraCab will be available as a 4x4? Or, on the other hand, that it won’t? I’m really hoping for some official Toyota document here. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

marvelmadman

First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
former 00 taco sr5. tbd 24 OR or trail hunter
https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/tacoma/
If you scroll to the bottom, the highest build listed with xtracab is the prerunner.
I'm not saying that's proof one way or the other, just that it's the highest one with that bullet point.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Taco Libre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Thanks. The SR and SR5 are both confirmed to be available with the XtraCab. The question is whether you can also get four-wheel drive.

2024 Tacoma XtraCab will by 4x2 only? 1692025035922

Mini

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I’m hoping for some help here. Another forum member has recently claimed that a senior Toyota engineer said that XtraCab models will not be available in 4x4 guise. That would mean that the PreRunner is the “best” you can do for off-reading purposes, with its rear locker.

The claim seems genuine, but I’d really like to pin this issue down because I currently have a deposit down on a 4x4 XtraCab SR!

Has anyone seen confirmation of whether the XtraCab will be available as a 4x4? Or, on the other hand, that it won’t? I’m really hoping for some official Toyota document here. Thanks in advance.

Mini

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
From Sheldon Brown @Toyota:
Maybe what's most impressive is that you don't have to give up every amenity to get the two-door. You can buy a base model with 4x4 or you can buy the TRD PreRunner, which gets all-terrain tires, a locking rear differential, sporty styling, and the more powerful gas-only engine that makes 278 horsepower and 317 pound-feet of torque. What I'm saying is, you've got options, even if you can't get it with fancy suspension or the high-power hybrid.

OP
OP

Taco Libre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
From Sheldon Brown @Toyota:
Maybe what's most impressive is that you don't have to give up every amenity to get the two-door. You can buy a base model with 4x4 or you can buy the TRD PreRunner, which gets all-terrain tires, a locking rear differential, sporty styling, and the more powerful gas-only engine that makes 278 horsepower and 317 pound-feet of torque. What I'm saying is, you've got options, even if you can't get it with fancy suspension or the high-power hybrid.
Nice, man. Thanks.

JB1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota 4Runner PRO
I wouldn't want to off-road with those leaf springs hanging down under the rear axle, why they didn't keep rear coils on all models is strange to me.

OP
OP

Taco Libre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I wouldn't want to off-road with those leaf springs hanging down under the rear axle, why they didn't keep rear coils on all models is strange to me.
Yeah, if your Tacoma shows up with the leafs under the axle, you’ve got a problem.

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
I think there is some confusion around this, on my part and on the part of others. Some articles state that a leaf spring 4x4 extra cab will be an option, while other videos and articles say it wont. Here is an article conflicting with information I had received. I will certainly be asking about this at the Overland Expo in a few weeks to get a solid answer for you. I apologize for the mixed information around the web, I am positive we were told at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff that these lower trims would not be produced in 4x4, but perhaps they had been doing so much speaking between the Hawaii and Expo that they were simply tired and misspoke?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/2024-...wo-seat-spec-is-a-throwback-to-simpler-trucks

OP
OP

Taco Libre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I think there is some confusion around this, on my part and on the part of others. Some articles state that a leaf spring 4x4 extra cab will be an option, while other videos and articles say it wont. Here is an article conflicting with information I had received. I will certainly be asking about this at the Overland Expo in a few weeks to get a solid answer for you. I apologize for the mixed information around the web, I am positive we were told at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff that these lower trims would not be produced in 4x4, but perhaps they had been doing so much speaking between the Hawaii and Expo that they were simply tired and misspoke?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/2024-...wo-seat-spec-is-a-throwback-to-simpler-trucks
Appreciate the clarification. I’m truly just trying to arrive at the truth, since I have a $500 deposit down on a truck that may or may not ever be offered. My dealer seems to think it will be, but dealers think a lot of things.

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mk 7 Volkswagen GTI
An XtraCab without 4x4 makes no sense to me. Don’t people want a longer bed to go overlanding? Yes that’s what the overtrail offers but what about people who don’t want an incredibly looooog truck with a 6‘ bed PLUS dualcab? Aren‘t older Tacos in single cab/short bed 4x4 (and manuals) some of the most sought after?

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mk 7 Volkswagen GTI

According to this article, SR Xtracab WILL be available with 4x4:

Maybe what's most impressive is that you don't have to give up every amenity to get the two-door. You can buy a base model with 4x4 or you can buy the TRD PreRunner, which gets all-terrain tires, a locking rear differential, sporty styling, and the more powerful gas-only engine that makes 278 horsepower and 317 pound-feet of torque. What I'm saying is, you've got options, even if you can't get it with fancy suspension or the high-power hybrid.”

Now if we could add the 6MT, we‘d have a very nice trifecta!

Drew

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Niro, 2002 Chevy Silverado
An XtraCab without 4x4 makes no sense to me. Don’t people want a longer bed to go overlanding? Yes that’s what the overtrail offers but what about people who don’t want an incredibly looooog truck with a 6‘ bed PLUS dualcab? Aren‘t older Tacos in single cab/short bed 4x4 (and manuals) some of the most sought after?
While I think that the overlanding is a significant use case, the XtraCab is probably going to have a high 4x2 take rate as a work vehicle. Lockable interior space for high-priced tools you use a little less frequently, a long bed for hauling stuff and still keeping a locking toolbox back there for the tools you use more often, and a reasonable value.

It wouldn't surprise me if they're looking at that as the main potential use-case for the XtraCab.

Macjr67

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond Sasquatch
Yes I’ll be likely getting an xtra cab 4x4 and doing a slight build on it. I’ve owned two TRD offroads in double cab but really want a longer bed to sleep. The clever storage in the xtra cab is hard to pass up for me. It’s an ideal setup to carry and store expensive fly rods and gear. My early build is as follows
-xtra cab 4x4
-wheel/tire upgrade-possibly Fifteen52 analog HDs
-lift if there’s a tire clearance issue for anything at at 33’s or above
-Decked system-had it on last two, loved it
-Hest or similar mattress
-cap-not sure on brand yet, there’s a lot out there to research
Sponsored