Sponsored

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Thought it might be helpful to re-post this data from a response I made that might not have been seen by folks or picked up on from the videos.

Sheldon, Toyota Chief Engineer for Tacoma, discussed wheelbase and overall length, starting around 1:52 seconds into the TFL YT video here
  • 5' bed wheelbase is 3350mm or ~132" vs prior gen 127.4"
  • 5' bed overall length "bumper-to-bumper is identical" (which would be 212.3") to the previous gen.
  • 6' bed wheelbase is 3685mm or ~145" vs prior gen 140.6"
  • The data above suggests overall length for the 6' bed would be ~225", i.e. also the same as prior gen. but no direct statement was made on this
Sponsored

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 SuperCrew
Thought it might be helpful to re-post this data from a response I made that might not have been seen by folks or picked up on from the videos.

Sheldon, Toyota Chief Engineer for Tacoma, discussed wheelbase and overall length, starting around 1:52 seconds into the TFL YT video here
  • 5' bed wheelbase is 3350mm or ~132" vs prior gen 127.4"
  • 5' bed overall length "bumper-to-bumper is identical" (which would be 212.3") to the previous gen.
  • 6' bed wheelbase is 3685mm or ~145" vs prior gen 140.6"
  • The data above suggests overall length for the 6' bed would be ~225", i.e. also the same as prior gen. but no direct statement was made on this
So where did that 5.5 inches of additional wheelbase go? I donā€™t see any additional room in the back seat legroom. This is the only issue I have with this new Tacomaā€¦. The back seat still looks really tight to me compared to Ford and the GM twins.

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
So where did that 5.5 inches of additional wheelbase go? I donā€™t see any additional room in the back seat legroom. This is the only issue I have with this new Tacomaā€¦. The back seat still looks really tight to me compared to Ford and the GM twins.
That's What I have been wondering....maybe it will be explained once dimensions are released. It doesn't look very roomy, but I've seen conflicting reviews saying it's better back there and some saying it's the same..... I guess I will just have to see for myself.

OP
OP

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Its actually 4.5" rather than 5.5" on the wheelbase, but the overall lengths for the 5' and 6' bed versions remain the same, so there's no extra vehicle length to play with. Since the bed lengths are stated to be at least nominally the same, means Toyota would have had to extend the cab length and correspondingly decrease the hood length to get more cab space and that doesn't seem to be the case.

From what I have seen in the videos it seems any additional room in the cab is gained by lifting the front seats in relation to the floor, and a higher roof height. Andre from TFL stated overall 2.5" extra in internal cab height. This results in a higher hip position and a bent leg that while more comfortable might also allow the seat to be slightly further forward and give a small amount of extra leg space in the rear. Alex on Autos (who is 6' tall) makes a number of front and back seat comments based on the Limited that might help guage rear space. The Limited example videos to timestamps are here and here.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 SuperCrew
Its actually 4.5" rather than 5.5" on the wheelbase, but the overall lengths for the 5' and 6' bed versions remain the same, so there's no extra vehicle length to play with. Since the bed lengths are stated to be at least nominally the same, means Toyota would have had to extend the cab length and correspondingly decrease the hood length to get more cab space and that doesn't seem to be the case.

From what I have seen in the videos it seems any additional room in the cab is gained by lifting the front seats in relation to the floor, and a higher roof height. Andre from TFL stated overall 2.5" extra in internal cab height. This results in a higher hip position and a bent leg that while more comfortable might also allow the seat to be slightly further forward and give a small amount of extra leg space in the rear. Alex on Autos (who is 6' tall) makes a number of front and back seat comments based on the Limited that might help guage rear space. The Limited example videos to timestamps are here and here.
My badā€¦ 5.5ā€ was a typo. Most times when a vehicleā€™s WB grows its to provide a larger interior space and/or to improve entry access (larger door openings). I guess I was assuming the A-pillar would move forward about 4.5ā€ and allow more legroom for the front and rear seats. The front seat height was addressed, but not the rear legroom it appears.

OP
OP

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
My badā€¦ 5.5ā€ was a typo. Most times when a vehicleā€™s WB grows its to provide a larger interior space and/or to improve entry access (larger door openings). I guess I was assuming the A-pillar would move forward about 4.5ā€ and allow more legroom for the front and rear seats. The front seat height was addressed, but not the rear legroom it appears.
If I understood Sheldon's comments correctly, it sounds like the wheelbase increase was primarily for handling/performance reasons, along with the wider wheel tracks.

Its somewhat ironic that I would be more interested in a 6' bed with an extended cab resulting in an overall length the same as the 5' crew cab because I only have a 19' garage and the 6' bed crew cab is just 3" shorter than that. Despite the many options Toyota has offered, the ideal seems to be elusive. But of course Ford and GM are only offering 5' beds currently.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tundra
if itā€™s like the Tundra it went into the front fascia to make room for all the active safety equipment.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tundra
from what I can tell with the raised roof the front and rear seats can go higher, decreasing the angle of your shins, thus giving the feeling of a little more room and you can slide feet under the rear seat. But to be clear, itā€™s not roomy.
Sponsored