Sponsored

paulbdotcom

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma TRD OFFROAD
Being in the auto repair business for 30+ years, no I'm not kidding. Any good seasoned industry professional will tell you the same. The Tacoma is the benchmark for reliability, durability, and re-sale value.

Also, the industry data backs it up.

It's non-debatable regardless of what you've owned.
Sponsored

TacoTanium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a toyota - Maverick on the way
The last thing I'd compare a Toyota to is a Maverick in all fairness lol. Damn things as close to an El Camino as you can get, Ranger sure.

I can't speak for Ford trucks as I've never owned personally but I have many family and friends with Ford F150s of various years and they've been nothing but money pits for them. One guy has a King Ranch and won't even tow a 3500lbs camper with it because he's convinced he'll blow a piston into orbit lol.

To each their own, but I'd choose to overpay on a Toyota anyday before you'd catch me in a Ford, Chevy, and especially Dodge dealership.

The only time I've ever had someone close to me complain about a Toyota truck was one dude who had a cheap lift installed unprofessionally. He was constantly blowing CVs, replacing wheel bearings, you name it. But the shops always blamed the cheap, incomplete lift.
Yes those ford stories are very common, but the same there's also many Fords running just as long as a Toyota. That bad towing is a problem with all pickups, even tacoma's. Some owner reporting problems at 4,000 lbs. IMO whatever the spec is, the real towing is probably 80%, those high tow specs for all pickup are just marketing.

I would never thought I would buy any new or Ford vehicle (we usually buy a few years old cars), but here I am ordering a Maverick. I think Ford offers good value for features and what you get for the money….and that is assuming I don’t get a Ford lemon.

Having to spend an extra 18k more on a Taco to get the same features (not even with remote start with the taco at that price) and while the Maverick offer >90% capability of the taco, is hard to spend my money on. Even the cheapest 4WD taco (just a plain pickup with an engine - SR) is more expensive for me than the Maverick and the taco will have less power, torque, and mpg with just a bit more capability.

What I’m doing is taking a chance with Ford. They made the Maverick in a way that I’m willing to take a chance. If it’s not a Ford lemon then that is super (just over half the price of a Taco at 95% capability/functionality), I get a lot for less! If it is a lemon, I’m screw and will less likely to take another Ford chance. I can use the extra 18k for repairs if I need to....but not planning on that.

If you compare the new Taco to the new Ranger (non-lemon)....you still get a lot more for your money than the Taco.

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
IMO whatever the spec is, the real towing is probably 80%, those high tow specs for all pickup are just marketing.
Tow ratings are based on an SAE standard test including acceleration, braking, handling, and cooling.

Nedloh227

First Name
Holden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Due to my own obsession, I've started tracking allocations in my area (within 250 miles of my zip).....went from 0, to 15, to 66 since Friday.
Me too! I have been tracking allocations in the Metro Atlanta area and there are a total of 11 allocations already. All are either TRD Sports or SR5's.

Nedloh227

First Name
Holden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
How does one do this, share the love lol.
I just go to all of the websites of dealers in my area and see what they have posted. I'm not sure if it is 100% accurate but I have called dealerships to inquire about a few and with all but one, they did not know that they had them listed on their site so I'm thinking the allocations are automatically uploaded on to their sites.

Tacosyeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Being in the auto repair business for 30+ years, no I'm not kidding. Any good seasoned industry professional will tell you the same. The Tacoma is the benchmark for reliability, durability, and re-sale value.

Also, the industry data backs it up.

It's non-debatable regardless of what you've owned.
People will keep bringing their anecdotal stories of owning every manufacturer; one worked for them while another didn't. It isn't data driven whatsoever, but they will convince themselves that one brand is better than another because of their own experience.

paulbdotcom

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma TRD OFFROAD
People will keep bringing their anecdotal stories of owning every manufacturer; one worked for them while another didn't. It isn't data driven whatsoever, but they will convince themselves that one brand is better than another because of their own experience.
I'm not "people". I'd like to say my 30+ years in the repair industry gives me a slight edge above the average joe that doesn't have the automotive repair backgroud. But I get it; everyone is a know-it-all.

Regardless - I never said any brand is better. Many features, interiors, etc are MUCH better on other vehicles. But for the last time - reliability and resale cannot be argued - it's backed by data.

FYI-after looking at the features/price/mpg, I am not interested in the new Tacoma. Keeping my 22 (maybe Landcruiser in the future)

Enjoy your Ranger.

outcast

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Me too! I have been tracking allocations in the Metro Atlanta area and there are a total of 11 allocations already. All are either TRD Sports or SR5's.
Where are you looking??
I’m thinking about the Kennesaw Toyota.

had a great experience with them back in 2017 when I bought my 2016 sport
Sponsored