Sponsored

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
I am assuming that those videos were shot in the fall and they have produced more test mules since then.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
TrailHunter! So easy a kid could drive it! But not so easy to manufacture?...and not so easy to price. hmm.

6 parts of filler brand-cheese & defending a 4 banger in various scenarios.

Struggling to find a service/value being offered in the TH vids. Bailing on the remaining content. I mean what will I miss, part 6 concluding in December 2024...?

Price the damn vehicle already.

Last edited:

09jsw

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 4d trd or
TrailHunter! So easy a kid could drive it! But not so easy to manufacture?...and not so easy to price. hmm.

6 parts of filler brand-cheese & defending a 4 banger in various scenarios.

Struggling to find a service/value being offered in the TH vids. Bailing on the remaining content. I mean what will I miss, part 6 concluding in December 2024...?

Price the damn vehicle already.
Yes it’s pretty aggravating imo, just sell the damn truck already or at least give us a price .

PNWblue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I think the only neat part of this was watching them wheel a little bit with that trailer, otherwise this series is an odd exercise in marketing

Clervis

First Name
Clervis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geo Metro
I think the only neat part of this was watching them wheel a little bit with that trailer, otherwise this series is an odd exercise in marketing
I'm starting to see just how consumeristic the whole over landing craze is. These videos are just a hokey ads masquerading as narrative journalism. It's not subtle and it's very cringe.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The same users show up every week crying about price not being revealed by a third party…

you will continue to be disappointed as thats not what this series is about at all.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
Nobody is looking for a 3rd party to reveal the price; every week there's at least one user who chimes in to cry about buyers highlighting the top of mind talking point with the halos.

They will be continued to be disappointed as people do not care about watching a YouTuber air down a truck or make blanket statements, voiding specifics, et. al.

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
Again not a deep dive. These play out like lifestyle stories for the average folks
Yeah these are mostly fluff and seem produced to be b-roll for ads later. Only real audience is those desperate enough to sit through 15 minutes of youtube content for any morsel of new info because Toyota corporate is so lacking. Oh wait, that's me!

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Nobody is looking for a 3rd party to reveal the price; every week there's at least one user who chimes in to cry about buyers highlighting the top of mind talking point with the halos.

They will be continued to be disappointed as people do not care about watching a YouTuber air down a truck or make blanket statements, voiding specifics, et. al.
Yes you are lol. You comment the exact same confusion every week when there is no price or MPG mentioned. In this very comment you say "no one is looking for a 3rd party to reveal price" then follow up with "buyers highlighting the top of mind talking points"

Again, price and mpg will never be revealed by Expedition Overland, but I await your same comment reporting your confusion next week ;)

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
Yes you are lol. You comment the exact same confusion every week when there is no price or MPG mentioned. In this very comment you say "no one is looking for a 3rd party to reveal price" then follow up with "buyers highlighting the top of mind talking points"

Again, price and mpg will never be revealed by Expedition Overland, but I await your same comment reporting your confusion next week ;)
Free country I’ll say what I want about these pump promo YouTubers. No need to get butthurt when people call out a content creator promising a deep dive and delivering a paint by numbers brown nose smear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
Yeah these are mostly fluff and seem produced to be b-roll for ads later. Only real audience is those desperate enough to sit through 15 minutes of youtube content for any morsel of new info because Toyota corporate is so lacking. Oh wait, that's me!
The one bit of semi useful news I gleaned from this glorified commercial is they mentioned they were averaging 15mpg towing that trailer and driving fairly fast. Not as useful as an actual epa rating but it’s … something? Not much when we don’t know the weight of the trailer etc but hey

They’re gonna be releasing pricing and formal mpg numbers within a month though by my understanding? So we’re in the homestretch

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Tacoma Off-Road; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
Alright I've been holding my comments on this thread for a while. Here's a few of my points/thoughts. For those that aren't as familiar with Expedition Overland they have built a business (well beyond YouTube) out of going on, documenting, and filming vehicle based expeditions for the last 10+ years. In my opinion they have some of the best films/series out there on the topic and have helped inspire me and many others to get out more. For us we are very much into vehicle based camping (backpacking as well) or as the buzzword is today overlanding. It doesn't matter what you call it, but we are explorers and enjoy getting to places where most people cannot go.

Back to XO. They have had a fleet of Toyota's since the beginning of their expeditions and eventually Toyota caught wind of it and sponsored them (smart on their part if you ask me). XO is now deeply embedded with Toyota, to the point where they had some involvement in the development of the Trailhunter. So if you're wondering why they are doing a promo/sneak peak series that should help answer that. It's not meant to be any kind of reveal, but rather a teaser to see what their brand new overlanding focused trim looks like in action by one of if not their top ambassadors in that space. For me, I was also hoping for a bit more meat in the series than what we've seen and could have done with out the floating episode, however, it's still nice to see my future vehicle doing some cool shit out in the real world. I would also add that XO is not just another low quality YouTuber (think our friend @RobMotive ). These guys are professionals that build some of the coolest rigs out there and have the luxury of having turned that into a highly successful business with their own network and some biggest names backing them in their series & expeditions.

I have still found it valuable/entertaining to watch these and can tell how much better it will handle vs my modified 2nd gen in all scenarios. So in my opinion, keep em' coming. Some day Toyota will release the damn pricing and actually sell me the truck. In the meantime, I'll take the weekly nugget to watch and keep me excited ;)

jcwls3

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S
2ndGen2TrlHntr, thanks for this. Very helpful. I personally have enjoyed watching their Trailhunter series with the understanding that (obviously) Toyota provided a pre-production truck to engage their platform.

I too think it was smart. The videos are well produced and generally entertaining, sort of a folksy soft-focus “review” of various features. Yes, it’s more marketing than meat, but so what? If someone isn’t smart enough to realize that within the first 30 seconds of any of the videos… then bless your little heart.

And for the rest of you doofuses raving about how awful these videos are, I have two words for you: lighten up. Remember the old Nissan commercials from the 1980s with the tagline, “Life is a journey — enjoy the ride”? Some folks here who seem to know everything about anything should take heed. :)
Sponsored