Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
https://www.motortrend.com/features/2024-toyota-land-cruiser-vs-2024-tacoma/

For Land Cruiser discussions, visit sister-site LandcruiserGAF.com

2024 Land Cruiser vs. 2024 Tacoma:

• The Tacoma's optional i-Force Max hybrid powertrain (mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission) and full-time four-wheel drive are the sole, standard offerings on the Land Cruiser. This means there is no manual transmission or two-wheel drive Land Cruiser, unlike the Tacoma.
  • Tacoma has a more robust offering of trims, including TRD Pro and Trailhunter, although we could see more Land Cruiser trims introduced later.
  • Tacoma offers a 14.0-inch touchscreen; Land Cruiser offers a 12.3-inch.
  • Tacoma is a midsize truck and Land Cruiser is an SUV. Duh. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
  • Land Cruiser offers a 20-inch wheel; Tacoma does not.
  • Max towing is 500 pounds more for Tacoma.
  • Tacoma TRD Pro has unique IsoDynamic Performance seats.
  • As for track performance? We'll see!

2024 Tacoma 2024 Tacoma vs. 2024 Land Cruiser -- Comparison & Differences 2024 tacoma vs Land Cruiser
Sponsored

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Silverado, 14 JKUR
I didn't realize they had published a tow capacity for the Tacoma. 6500 (or less w/ options) isn't bad.
The Landcruiser also gets 17" brakes, necessitating an 18" wheel.

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
Its interesting to me that the LC has the same hybrid as the Tacoma and has same towing, but the 'lower' engine non hybrid that is in Tacoma tows 500lbs more that the top engine

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
Pricing is not out yet, but I think one will get more bang for their buck with the Tacoma. The new Land Cruiser is obviously being marketed as competition for the Bronco and Wranger, both grossly over-priced vehicles. The gimmicky IsoDynamic seats might be applicable to hard off-roading, but I suspect the downside is reduced rear seat leg room. Was at our dealer yesterday to chat a bit about the Land Cruiser, in particular the limited production First Edition model. They floated $10K over MSRP. An insult! At a $10K over price level, I would go for the Lexus GX 550 for roughly the same money. Not immediately, but Lexus will also have a hybrid variant, and the same 2.4L engine/drivetrain as Toyota.

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
I personally like the interior of the Tacoma better. The screen doesnt match the dash as well, and the steering wheel in the LC is better looking but aside from that the Tacoma is more useful in my eyes. All of the molle panels will be incredibly useful for someone like myself. I can mount a camera just about anywhere in that truck.

The 18" wheels on the new off road line makes me question their choices but it is probably for cooling. Swapping them for a 17 will most certainly be happening for anyone off roading these things but was probably necessary to have the cooling capacity to meet the towing numbers.

Toyotas confidence in the new I-force Max is reassuring. They put it in the US flagship SUV and best selling midsize truck (and obviously will be in the 4runner). They cant afford to have a Chrysler like reputation on reliability. This thing is going to be awesome.

JB1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota 4Runner PRO
Anyone know the wheelbase of the 24 Tacoma?...did it change from 23?

One reviewer said the Land Cruiser had a 112" wheelbase, wondering how it compares.

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
It may be possible to easily change the wheelbase (frame length) on the new architecture frame (TNGA?), as it has been pointed out how it is welded/overlapped in sections.

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
Anyone know the wheelbase of the 24 Tacoma?...did it change from 23?

One reviewer said the Land Cruiser had a 112" wheelbase, wondering how it compares.
DC Short bed is 133.5 " now, 4" longer than 3rd gen. <Edited
DC Long bed has a wheel base of 144", its the wheel base of the Tundra.
Overall length of the vehicle has not changed though.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB1

GL Rockwell

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 tacoma OR
DC Short bed is 127" now, 4" longer than 3rd gen.
DC Long bed has a wheel base of 144", its the wheel base of the Tundra.
Overall length of the vehicle has not changed though.
Were you working on a video on all the dimensions you took ? Or maybe that was another member that had seen it in person.

joewitafro

First Name
joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 honda civic 1.5l turbo, 95 lexus sc300 turbo
Landcruiser is enticing.

Center locking diff + rear locking diff
front sway bar disconnect
interior looks much more refined than the tacoma
made at the Tahara plant in Japan (Known for the 4runner, celica and lexus GS/LS/GX)
2.4l Hybrid only matches the towing capacity of the hybrid tacomas (6000lbs)
Less "Gimicky" in my opinion (small rear window of the tacoma, PRO seats, offset wheels)

The only real negative is the 1958 model starting mid 50's (lets say 55k); and most likely the landcruiser model coming in between 60-65k?

If we compare that to a Tacoma TRD Off-road currently going for ~ 42k; the 2024 model will probably be 45k. So is the landcruiser worth the additional 15-20k?

This question tears at me, because I do think the landcruiser will be the better vehicle over time, and I prefer the interior much more. If the price increase was only 10k more I might be able to justify that over the life time of a vehicle; but an additional 20k for almost the same vehicle seems like a bad financial decision.

I could instead get a tacoma TRD off-road and with the money saved buy a new can am X3 turbo.

Mrknowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Silverado, 14 JKUR
Its interesting to me that the LC has the same hybrid as the Tacoma and has same towing, but the 'lower' engine non hybrid that is in Tacoma tows 500lbs more that the top engine
Because of the small battery, the hybrid doesn't help tow ratings, so it's really just the same engine in both, while the 500lb of hybrid components (based on Tundra specs) eat into the GCWR.

Taco Libre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Landcruiser is enticing.

Center locking diff + rear locking diff
front sway bar disconnect
interior looks much more refined than the tacoma
made at the Tahara plant in Japan (Known for the 4runner, celica and lexus GS/LS/GX)
2.4l Hybrid only matches the towing capacity of the hybrid tacomas (6000lbs)
Less "Gimicky" in my opinion (small rear window of the tacoma, PRO seats, offset wheels)

The only real negative is the 1958 model starting mid 50's (lets say 55k); and most likely the landcruiser model coming in between 60-65k?

If we compare that to a Tacoma TRD Off-road currently going for ~ 42k; the 2024 model will probably be 45k. So is the landcruiser worth the additional 15-20k?

This question tears at me, because I do think the landcruiser will be the better vehicle over time, and I prefer the interior much more. If the price increase was only 10k more I might be able to justify that over the life time of a vehicle; but an additional 20k for almost the same vehicle seems like a bad financial decision.

I could instead get a tacoma TRD off-road and with the money saved buy a new can am X3 turbo.
I would think it'd come down to whether you need an SUV or pickup.

JB1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota 4Runner PRO
Is the "sway bar disconnect" on the Land Cruiser, simply 1/2 of a KDSS system that is now done electronically?....is this the same setup that the Tacoma will have?

The 2024 Lexus GX has both front and rear sway bar disconnects via the new KDSS system.

" The GX's suspension features the same setup as the LX, with an independent front suspension and a solid rear axle. The Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) feature that can disconnect the front and rear anti-roll bars continues on, but it's now done electronically "

Pharpost

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Pricing is not out yet, but I think one will get more bang for their buck with the Tacoma. The new Land Cruiser is obviously being marketed as competition for the Bronco and Wranger, both grossly over-priced vehicles. The gimmicky IsoDynamic seats might be applicable to hard off-roading, but I suspect the downside is reduced rear seat leg room. Was at our dealer yesterday to chat a bit about the Land Cruiser, in particular the limited production First Edition model. They floated $10K over MSRP. An insult! At a $10K over price level, I would go for the Lexus GX 550 for roughly the same money. Not immediately, but Lexus will also have a hybrid variant, and the same 2.4L engine/drivetrain as Toyota.
$10K over MSRP is an absolute insult. A Honda dealer tried to do that during a truckers strike and I'll never buy Honda again! Toyota better not do that - I've owned several Toyotas including 2 Tacomas and a Tundra!
Sponsored