Sponsored

4k miles: Grille shutter, Drive start control, check engine light, system malfunction

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I think you’re gonna need a new shutter assembly. Mine has been on order for 2 weeks and counting. I'm told there are none available currently. I had a rental for 3 days while they did diags. When they told me the part was on order and could be weeks I turned the rental in and have been driving mine. Not gonna let it sit on their lot for weeks and get beat to shit with door dings and possible hail.
Probably so. That's ridiculous there's such a large lead time on new parts that are obviously in stock, or they wouldn't be building new trucks.
My engine light hasn't come on yet, about 4 car washes deep so crossing my fingers it stays that way either for good, or until they hopefully issue a recall.
Sponsored

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
Probably so. That's ridiculous there's such a large lead time on new parts that are obviously in stock, or they wouldn't be building new trucks.
My engine light hasn't come on yet, about 4 car washes deep so crossing my fingers it stays that way either for good, or until they hopefully issue a recall.
What spray did you use on the sensor?

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
What spray did you use on the sensor?
Electrical contact cleaner. I jinxed myself though. It just came back today. In fact, now it says grille shutters malfunction, it didn't before. I think my previous problem was unrelated and NOW I have the grille shutter issue. Sigh.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Electrical contact cleaner. I jinxed myself though. It just came back today. In fact, now it says grille shutters malfunction, it didn't before. I think my previous problem was unrelated and NOW I have the grille shutter issue. Sigh.
Darn

RFish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD off road (soon)
When you guys are talking 3TY early builds, What's your build dates? Mines a 3TY build 02/28 delivered 03/28. No issues so far but yet to get wet or car wash. Will be trying the car wash tomorrow probly.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you guys are talking 3TY early builds, What's your build dates? Mines a 3TY build 02/28 delivered 03/28. No issues so far but yet to get wet or car wash. Will be trying the car wash tomorrow probly.
My 3TY is build date 1/24 and picked up 2/16. I have washed my truck but hand wash it. No high pressure car washes except the hose rinse down.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
How do we find that out exactly? I can tell you mines 606, don't know if that's the 606th from the plant, or 606th of that trim made lol.

If you take it into a wand wash self serve and really give her a hose down with the high pressure washer you'll probably find yourself in the same scenario as the rest of us.

I didn't have an issue until the day after I washed her, and I definitely sprayed down the grille good. Coincidentally, I gave her another hard wash yesterday and just today I got engine codes again so it's off to the dealer with her on the 13th.

I got to go down tomorrow to get them to inspect and hopefully redo my ceramic coating, I also have the front bed trim near the wheels falling off on both sides because the 3M tape has failed, so hoping they can fix that too. This dealer is going to see a lot of me I assume, unfortunately.

RFish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD off road (soon)
Just look at the driver door frame sticker. Tells you your build date. I'm hoping by end of Feb they had the problem fixed. Guess we'll find out.

CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium and 2007 Sequioa LTD
How do we find that out exactly? I can tell you mines 606, don't know if that's the 606th from the plant, or 606th of that trim made lol.

If you take it into a wand wash self serve and really give her a hose down with the high pressure washer you'll probably find yourself in the same scenario as the rest of us.

I didn't have an issue until the day after I washed her, and I definitely sprayed down the grille good. Coincidentally, I gave her another hard wash yesterday and just today I got engine codes again so it's off to the dealer with her on the 13th.

I got to go down tomorrow to get them to inspect and hopefully redo my ceramic coating, I also have the front bed trim near the wheels falling off on both sides because the 3M tape has failed, so hoping they can fix that too. This dealer is going to see a lot of me I assume, unfortunately.
Looking at what has shipped, the numbering is not trim dependent. Each of the two sites does use their own numbering order so there will also be a 606 from the Baja plant as I have found my truck's twin
(also in the 600 range) from the central Mexico plant.

GRKTRD

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma

Mines 602 at the same plant. Been driving it with codes on for over a week now

ruggedco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma off road
I had the same issue, same errors. Took it to the dealer and the guy that checked me in said someone else came in with the same problem a few days before. I still had to sit around for 4 hours while they confirmed it though. The service manager said it'd take 3-5 days to get the part and they had to take pictures to send to Toyota because some parts "require Toyota approval" to order. Seems odd and sketchy. My shutters are open and they said it's fine to drive in that condition.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone had this issue with the grill shutters fixed by toyota and if so what is the fix and did it work? Seems like I have seen this issue reported enough but have not seen a clear resolution on it.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
Mine isn't fixed but part is ordered...2 weeks and counting.

1712350844204.jpeg

OP
OP

Liquidassets

First Name
Bronson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD off-road
I spoke with my dealership today. The dealership called corporate multiple times this week. This is a nation wide issue with the new tacomas and the front grille shutter assembly parts are on backorder. They have no ETA. The dealership said the 2022 Tundra had the same problem when it was first released and it is an easy fix. I called toyota corporate today. They were very sympathetic and also noted that something similar happened with the new Tundras. I asked if I can return my loaner corolla and get reimbursement for a rental truck. They said they will look into providing me reimbursement as well as fast tracking any necessary parts as I have been waiting almost 3 weeks. Both phone calls took less than 5 minutes. I'll keep this thread updated.

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
I'm a bit surprised they can't bypass the issue, locking the shutters in the open position, and let the owners keep their vehicles until the parts arrive.
Sponsored