Sponsored

Trainer Steve Clifford

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 RAV4 XSE
I will address this from the perspective of an East Coast dealer. It can take more than 2 months but it depends on a number of factors. Let's examine the path from each factory.

Tijuana is right on the US border and the trucks we get from that plant are pretty quick. Below, I have a screenshot of the path of a truck that was built on 11/10/23. It was taken via truck to San Diego where it was processed on 11/14. This chart doesn't show it, but this train left San Diego on 11/16. It arrived at Annapolis MD on 12/4/23 and was put on a truck to the dealer on 12/18/23. So that's just over a month from production to delivery. I've seen it as fast as 3 weeks but this one is pretty typical.

The Guanajuato plant is another beast. Those get taken by truck to the port of Veracruz where it is loaded onto a ship. That can mean it sits waiting to be loaded for a couple of days or a couple of weeks, depending on shipping schedules. Below is a schedule that is typical. Built on 11/10/23 and arrives at Veracruz on 11/13. The ship departed on 12/4/23 and arrived in New jersey on 1/3/24. Between unloading and port processing it finally ended up on a truck to the dealer on 1/9/24. I've seen them take much longer than this and occasionally, faster.

The TRD Pro models are the worst. They can sit in a processing lot for weeks while they add the Pro specific equipment after the assembly line.

I hope this demystifies the process of getting trucks from the factory to the dealer.

2024 Tacoma Answer: How long does it take from Production to Delivery of a Tacoma TJ truck build 1

2024 Tacoma Answer: How long does it take from Production to Delivery of a Tacoma mexico build track 2
Sponsored

Mackieallan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ranger
Thanks for the behind the scenes info Steve!

Are all dealers able to see the various staging points and ports that the specific truck is being held?

I wish the Toyota tracker showed that level of detail for regular folks to look up. The info vacuum is the worst part.

OP
OP
Trainer Steve Clifford

Trainer Steve Clifford

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 RAV4 XSE
Dealers can see all of this but the "Toyota Tracker" can't. Allow me to comment on that site by the way. It is NOT a Toyota supported site. Toyota is not a fan of it because that site is using proprietary data that Toyota did not give or sell to them. It is info that somebody has figured out how to data harvest from somewhere to produce the site.

The same is true of the allocation spreadsheet you might have seen. That one is even more baffling to me because it includes things that even the dealers can't see. There are two private distributors (Southeast and Gulf States) that are not owned by Toyota and I can't see the inventory in those areas. They are somehow on the allocation list though.

Reactions: oxi

RGk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
trucks
Does that mean that west coast typically gets it faster on average? I dont know how Canada seems to have gotten them so quickly. Even one in Puerto Rico.

OP
OP
Trainer Steve Clifford

Trainer Steve Clifford

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 RAV4 XSE
Does that mean that west coast typically gets it faster on average? I dont know how Canada seems to have gotten them so quickly. Even one in Puerto Rico.
I can only report what I know for certain. I assume the West Coast dealers get them quicker from the Tijuana plant but I'm not sure about the Central Mexico plant. Veracruz is on the Gulf of Mexico which means they would need to hit the Panama Canal. It is possible they use a different port or they might even use rails for West Coast deliveries. I just don't have first hand knowledge of those.

iResQ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Limited
I will address this from the perspective of an East Coast dealer. It can take more than 2 months but it depends on a number of factors. Let's examine the path from each factory.
Glad to see my 3TM is in the path of least resistance. Steve, really appreciate the insight you continue to provide.

BigDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma PreRunner (future)
The TRD Pro models are the worst. They can sit in a processing lot for weeks while they add the Pro specific equipment after the assembly line.
That sucks. It's only going to add to the limited supply and raise prices for the Pro. I assume the same will be true of the Trailhunter.

Speaking of, any idea or guesses when they start building those? Or at least release pricing info?

OP
OP
Trainer Steve Clifford

Trainer Steve Clifford

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 RAV4 XSE
That sucks. It's only going to add to the limited supply and raise prices for the Pro. I assume the same will be true of the Trailhunter.

Speaking of, any idea or guesses when they start building those? Or at least release pricing info?
Last I heard was to start building the hybrids in April. They haven't allocated any of them yet so there are none in the pipeline to even check. I am not sure if the current hold situation will delay that or not.

Captain O

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information. I have been waiting for my TRD Sport for ages. It was built at the beginning January.. Then was given a hold for Quality Confirmation Activity 1/17/24 for 35 days. Still shows a hold. The dealer did show it had been trucked to Lazaro/Cardenas (port on western side of central Mexico)1/24/2024. It's been a long time. I put a deposit on the truck 12/9/2023.
Anyone else suffering this kind of delay?
Thanks.

PO

lb272

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 MT Forester
This should make you feel better...I've had a deposit on a MT OR for about 10 months now. I originally wanted a '23 but that didn't happen.

Cincy513

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
QC hold on mine so who knows when I will get it 🤷‍♂️ it is already in the states at least

Mpaint1982

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango GT Plus

Tijuana is right on the US border and the trucks we get from that plant are pretty quick. Below, I have a screenshot of the path of a truck that was built on 11/10/23. It was taken via truck to San Diego where it was processed on 11/14. This chart doesn't show it, but this train left San Diego on 11/16. It arrived at Annapolis MD on 12/4/23 and was put on a truck to the dealer on 12/18/23. So that's just over a month from production to delivery. I've seen it as fast as 3 weeks but this one is pretty typical.

The Guanajuato plant is another beast. Those get taken by truck to the port of Veracruz where it is loaded onto a ship. That can mean it sits waiting to be loaded for a couple of days or a couple of weeks, depending on shipping schedules. Below is a schedule that is typical. Built on 11/10/23 and arrives at Veracruz on 11/13. The ship departed on 12/4/23 and arrived in New jersey on 1/3/24. Between unloading and port processing it finally ended up on a truck to the dealer on 1/9/24. I've seen them take much longer than this and occasionally, faster.

I hope this demystifies the process of getting trucks from the factory to the dealer.

TJ truck build 1.png

mexico build track 2.png
Thank you very much for your perspective and knowledge! You're a tremendous help!

Gff313

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information. I have been waiting for my TRD Sport for ages. It was built at the beginning January.. Then was given a hold for Quality Confirmation Activity 1/17/24 for 35 days. Still shows a hold. The dealer did show it had been trucked to Lazaro/Cardenas (port on western side of central Mexico)1/24/2024. It's been a long time. I put a deposit on the truck 12/9/2023.
Anyone else suffering this kind of delay?
Thanks.

PO
I am in the same boat my TRD Sport went on FI on 1/16 and am still waiting on it to move. It fell off the face of the earth a week ago. I was able to see it before then and now it doesn’t show up anywhere. So I will have no clue when mine finally moves. Good luck!!

BigDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma PreRunner (future)
Last I heard was to start building the hybrids in April. They haven't allocated any of them yet so there are none in the pipeline to even check. I am not sure if the current hold situation will delay that or not.
Thanks Steve. I'm hoping that means we will see them by May. Based on the non-hybrid builds it took about a month from the build start date until deliveries.

https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/2024-tacoma-production-has-begun-🙌.1848/

Cincy513

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
My truck finally left of a train any idea how long it might take to get to Indy?
Sponsored