Sponsored

Brake controller harness for 4th gen Tacoma?

d27bessette

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Highlander Limited, 2015 Rav4 XLE, 2022 Tundr
Well I just hit a wall today. was going to install a brake controller on a friend's Taco and notice they don't have any plug for it like the last gen did. Not listed anywhere also... Anybody here had one installed or do I have to do it wire by wire?
Sponsored

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Unfortunately, the manual says Toyota doesn't recommend the use of a third party trailer brake controller with this truck. That's quite frustrating, as other OEMs that offer factory-installed brake controllers also have provisions for aftermarket controllers.

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Unfortunately, the manual says Toyota doesn't recommend the use of a third party trailer brake controller with this truck. That's quite frustrating, as other OEMs that offer factory-installed brake controllers also have provisions for aftermarket controllers.
If they do that, how are they going to sell upgrade packages :). If you're patient, someone will sell wiring harnesses. Map it out, maybe it will be you!

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
Is there a wireless one out now? Works with a remote. I recall I read about one.

Snowjunky24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot
Anyone without
Is there a wireless one out now? Works with a remote. I recall I read about one.

supposedly TPH-021 fits 2022 tundra and up. May be the same for 4g Tacoma???

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
I wonder if the 2022-24 Tundra factory brake controller would be plug and play in the new Tacoma?

2024 Tacoma Brake controller harness for 4th gen Tacoma? Screenshot_20240317-180745_Chrome

2024 Tacoma Brake controller harness for 4th gen Tacoma? Screenshot_20240317-180745_Chrome

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I just hit a wall today. was going to install a brake controller on a friend's Taco and notice they don't have any plug for it like the last gen did. Not listed anywhere also... Anybody here had one installed or do I have to do it wire by wire?
Did you look under the driver's side kick panel? If memory serves, I read on the Tundra forum that's where they found the pigtail on new gens that didn't come with brake controller from factory.
It will be very unfortunate if it's not hidden in there somewhere as I'm sure adding a brake controller to the base Offroad/SR5/SR will be a common addition for owners that didn't receive one from factory.
Redarc's are fantastic however oem has its benefits.

OP
OP

d27bessette

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Highlander Limited, 2015 Rav4 XLE, 2022 Tundr
I wonder if the 2022-24 Tundra factory brake controller would be plug and play in the new Tacoma?

Screenshot_20240317-180745_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240317-180745_Chrome.jpg
This won't work, the harness for it is not even there, it also need the brake controller ECU which is also missing, the whole harness is different so we cannot even buy the ecu and plug it

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you end up finding the wire or figure a fix?

Windsor

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
I'm in the same boat with my 2024 tacoma . The Dealership said there is a plug there for sure . If it is I have no idea where . ---Never trust a salesman . Has anybody had any luck plugging in an aftermarket brake controller ? ---I cant believe that they would sell a truck to tow 6400 pounds with no provision for braking .

Last edited:

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in the same boat with my 2024 tacoma . The Dealership said there is a plug there for sure . If it is I have no idea where . ---Never trust a salesman . Has anybody had any luck plugging in an aftermarket brake controller ? ---I cant believe that they would sell a truck to tow 6400 pounds with no provision for braking .
I'm pushing my local dealership to figure out where the heck this plug is but so far no luck please update if you're the first find it!

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Look under the dash for something like this:

2024 Tacoma Brake controller harness for 4th gen Tacoma? Screenshot 2024-04-16 095835