Sponsored

Did I just bamboozle the dealer into giving me a free oil change?

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
So I just had my truck in to FINALLY get the grille shutter work done, and while in there it was due time for my first 8,000 service.

I was told multiple times the 8,000 first service would just be an inspection and no oil change, when I booked it I requested an oil change and they tried to talk me out of it blah blah you don't need it until the next free service. I requested one anyways, even if I had to pay.

When I got the invoice I had my wallet and and she told me all good, everything covered under warranty. I said even the oil change? All confused like and she said yes, covered under your service so I ran out of the dealer screaming "START THE CAR!"

On the invoice it lists the grille shutter replacement work, $0 "WARRANTY" but on a seperate block the oil change is listed, and the value was around "$222" no mention at all of it being covered or waived.

Did I just get myself a free oil change? Hopefully so because $222 for an oil change is highway robbery to begin with. I was expecting $120 at most.
Sponsored

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
ToyotaCare covers oil changes up to 2 years/25k miles, so that's probably what you're talking about. I got mine changed at 800 miles free and plan to around 3k and then 5-7500 after that.

Dansflhti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport,16 Mustang GT Conv,14 HD SG.
So I just had my truck in to FINALLY get the grille shutter work done, and while in there it was due time for my first 8,000 service.

I was told multiple times the 8,000 first service would just be an inspection and no oil change, when I booked it I requested an oil change and they tried to talk me out of it blah blah you don't need it until the next free service. I requested one anyways, even if I had to pay.

When I got the invoice I had my wallet and and she told me all good, everything covered under warranty. I said even the oil change? All confused like and she said yes, covered under your service so I ran out of the dealer screaming "START THE CAR!"

On the invoice it lists the grille shutter replacement work, $0 "WARRANTY" but on a seperate block the oil change is listed, and the value was around "$222" no mention at all of it being covered or waived.

Did I just get myself a free oil change? Hopefully so because $222 for an oil change is highway robbery to begin with. I was expecting $120 at most.
What is this "free service" you speak of?

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
ToyotaCare covers oil changes up to 2 years/25k miles, so that's probably what you're talking about. I got mine changed at 800 miles free and plan to around 3k and then 5-7500 after that.
So, you and not the dealer can determine at what mileage you get the oil changed? I mean, how many free oil changes are they going to do for you in the 2 years/25K program?

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE

Basically you get 2 oil changes. They just probably just checked off 1 oil change.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
So, you and not the dealer can determine at what mileage you get the oil changed? I mean, how many free oil changes are they going to do for you in the 2 years/25K program?
Basically you get 2 oil changes. They just probably just checked off 1 oil change.
Turns out I'm just an idiot and the service desk is misinformed. I opted for the extra coverage at purchase. I get free service every 8,000kms (including oil changes) up to 48 months or 80,000kms

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
$222 for an oil change? Is that what dealers charge now?
Wouldn't be surprised if it's an upcharged compared to other Canadian dealers. Everythings more expensive in my town, oil town lol.

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Did you check the dipstick to make sure that it’s new clean oil? You may be the one that got bamboozeled

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
Did you check the dipstick to make sure that it’s new clean oil? You may be the one that got bamboozeled
I've got one better............on my last oil change of the three year free oil change program on a Versa that I had, they backed the car out and handed me the keys at the Nissan dealer. I got in and started to drive off. I thought, I forgot to check the level which I always did after the changes. No oil was put back in the engine. This was at THE DEALER! Needless to say, I got more free oil changes after that!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
lol, honestly, I'd never know. Oil was as clean at 8000 as it was when I drove it off the lot new.

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
I've got one better............on my last oil change of the three year free oil change program on a Versa that I had, they backed the car out and handed me the keys at the Nissan dealer. I got in and started to drive off. I thought, I forgot to check the level which I always did after the changes. No oil was put back in the engine. This was at THE DEALER! Needless to say, I got more free oil changes after that!
I would have told them they just bought the car!

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
Going to do mine at 5000 intervals. At 3000 now but ready...that oil filter looks really small. Not sure it is the correct one...Costco has 6 qts of mobile 1 for 36.​

2024 Tacoma Did I just bamboozle the dealer into giving me a free oil change? Mobile 1JPG.JPG

Osprey

First Name
Cleve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road
Going to do mine at 5000 intervals. At 3000 now but ready...that oil filter looks really small. Not sure it is the correct one...Costco has 6 qts of mobile 1 for 36.​

Mobile 1JPG.JPG
Yeah, the filter is teeny. I had the same thought when I bought mine. But as far as I know, it is correct. Doing my 5k in about a week, so I'll know for sure then.
Sponsored