Sponsored

Does the new i-Force MAX engine make things too complicated?

VOOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Gone are the days of a naturally aspirated engine under the hood of the Toyota Tacoma. Not only is the i-Force MAX powertrain a turbocharged hybrid engine, but the hybrid motor resides between the engine and the transmission, making things even more complicated. This advancement in hybrid technology makes electrically-assisted powertrains more effective, but more complicated.

As an aside, we shouldn't be surprised that Toyota chose two 4-cylinder engines for the Tacoma. The writing was on the wall with the Tundra and Sequoia that both transitioned to V6 turbocharged engines.

Are you a fan of this new engine or not? WHat do you see as the pros and cons of this new setup?
2024 Tacoma Does the new i-Force MAX engine make things too complicated? TRD Pro Engine
Sponsored

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I’d think if anybody could do a reliable hybrid it should be Toyota. I wonder what the MPG’s will be like of course.

Rocky

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma (hopefully)
These engines should work great and offer reliable driving. The only concern I have is that the technology of placing a hybrid motor between the engine and transmission is relatively new.
Sponsored