Sponsored

Frontier vs. Tacoma

TacomaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tacoma Limited
Has anyone looked into the new Frontier? Seems like the new Tacoma will have more features that I would want. I want the Tacoma anyway, but a bit tired of waiting. I just don't want to get a Frontier then regret my decision.
Sponsored

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
Has anyone looked into the new Frontier? Seems like the new Tacoma will have more features that I would want. I want the Tacoma anyway, but a bit tired of waiting. I just don't want to get a Frontier then regret my decision.
My father couldn't wait to unload his Frontier for a Tacoma... he did it 3 years ago and couldn't be happier. He had major transmission issues.

Then again, you're talking about next-gen, so it's apples to turnips.

Drew

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Niro, 2002 Chevy Silverado
We run some Frontiers at work and they are...okay. They don't get good gas mileage, but we use them moving things around on-site, so they are also slowly crawling around most of the time. They'd probably do better for us if they were manuals and shifted up a gear from where they want to be. They are reasonably comfortable, but the interior feels like it wears more quickly than some other brands.
You could do worse, but I think the new Tacoma is much better.

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
The new Frontier was extremally dated when it was released. I am sure it is a capable truck and I think it is the only one that you can still get a NA V6 in. I think they are still using the same crappy backup camera as my son's 2015 Pathfinder.

OP
OP

TacomaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tacoma Limited
Yeah, the new Frontier seems like it is ten years old already. They are pretty expensive too. It would be almost 49k for one like I would want and it doesn't even have a power sliding rear window!

BigJack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ram 1500 Rebel, Porsche Cayenne Transsyberia
I leased a ā€˜22 Nissan Frontier Pro4x with every option ($48k MSRP) when they first came out. The truck was what Iā€™d describe as updated old school which I found appealing. It did everything well including off-road trails in Colorado. But when the lease ended I decided to go Ranger Raptor. For $10k more the RR is too hard to pass up. While I wait for the RR to get built Iā€™m in a ā€˜23 RAM 1500 Rebel. Decided to give full size a try especially since with a $10k discount off MSRP the price is the same as a RR. If something goes wrong with my May 26th RR order I may just keep the RAM for a while.

Tom59

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Tundra ISE, 2012 CT200h, 2015 NX 200t
That truck wouldn't make my top five. Tacoma-GMC AT4X, Chevy LS2, and the new Ford Ranger would be before a Frontier. Spending 50-60k you have to get what in your mind is the best truck for you. By the time the TRDPro and Trailhunter come out, we will know a lot more about GMC-Chevy's reliability. Also, gas mileage and pricing will be known. - Yoda :
2024 Tacoma Frontier vs. Tacoma yoda

OP
OP

TacomaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tacoma Limited
That truck wouldn't make my top five. Tacoma-GMC AT4X, Chevy LS2, and the new Ford Ranger would be before a Frontier. Spending 50-60k you have to get what in your mind is the best truck for you. By the time the TRDPro and Trailhunter come out, we will know a lot more about GMC-Chevy's reliability. Also, gas mileage and pricing will be known. - Yoda :
yoda.jpg
lol....that's awesome. Thanks :)

OP
OP

TacomaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tacoma Limited
Seems like the new Frontier competes with the 3rd gen Tacoma in some areas, but the 4th gen Tacoma is going to make both of them seem very outdated

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
Iā€™d wait for the new taco, but if youā€™re not locked in w/a deposit probably gonna wait even longer. The TH will probably release before for the Cybertruck. You want to talk about waiting, thereā€™s 2 million reservations on that stainless box and theyā€™re +4 years since unveil. ā€¦waiting 6 months for that Trailhunter full overland kit, thatā€™s nothing šŸ¤™šŸ¼

Last edited:

markal

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road (soon)
Very late to this thread (and new to this forum) but I'll add my two cents. First, I've never had a truck or a 4x4 of any kind. This will be my first, after a series of Subarus. I've loved the Subies but want more capability for my off-pavement camping and exploring and more payload. I've decided to try a pickup rather than an SUV (4Runner etc.). I've tested a bunch of vehicles over the last couple years and was very close to buying a loaded Frontier Pro-4X last year, but decided to wait once I heard the updated Taco was coming in 2024. Count me among those who found the seating position in the old Taco to be intolerable for long drives.

Pros on the Frontier Pro4x for my use:
  • capable enough (clearance, locker, decent transmission, sufficient power)
  • a little smaller, which I kind of like
  • exterior styling is nice (probably my favorite among the current mid-sized trucks)
  • price was pretty good
  • drivetrain felt fine, responsive and predictable shifting
  • reliability has been good except some of the electronics and body components (according to Consumer Reports)
Cons:
  • not as peppy as I'd like (I'm coming from an Outback XT which is quite fast)
  • no ventilated seats available (I'm spoiled!)
  • no telescoping steering wheel - I can get pretty comfortable but would like the wheel a little closer
  • the leather seats feel more comfortable to me (they have a slightly different shape from the cloth) but I think they'd be very hot
  • pretty rough, bouncy ride compared to the new Taco

Pros on the new 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road (with premium package)
  • all the luxuries I want (incl. ventilated seats)
  • better off-road drive modes, which I think I will use, but who knows
  • much better cameras, more camera views
  • Much better screen
  • more comfortable seating for my needs
  • better acceleration and very linear, predictable shifting
  • much smoother ride and very nice handling, noticeably better than the nissan
  • better resale (probably)
  • slightly bigger bed than the frontier (even with the 5-foot)
Cons on the '24 Taco
  • Price! About $7-$8k more than the Frontier, over than $11k more than a leftover '23 Frontier Pro-4x I found locally (though that one lacks a few options I'd like)
  • I don't like the exterior styling so much (too many angles and ridges), but it's growing on me
  • unproven drivetrain (I trust Toyota, but it does make me a little nervous)
  • mostly crappy colors (IMO)
Since I've been looking for almost a couple years, I finally decided it's time and we put down a deposit on a Taco TRD Off Road. We'll wait for one with the Premium package. Basically, my wife (god lover her!) said, "you've done a lot of research and testing, get the one that excites you." In two test drives with the new Taco (one TRD Off Road and one TRD Sport), I was really impressed. It was just fun to drive. And my wife agreed (she drove the TRD Sport and the Nissan).

But that price difference STILL gives me doubts. My deposit is non-refundable so it would be dumb to wast $500, but, man, that's a lot of dough. But I think we'll stick with it and get the Tacoma.
Sponsored