- Thread starter
- #1
Installed HKS Performance Dampers to my frame today. Shout out to Teqsport for having them in stock and for starting to gather all the OEM parts for our trucks on their website. These dampers were designed for a TRD Pro, so I got reinforcement collars welded into the frame where the ARB Rear Tow Hook fasteners go as the required torque for the bracket that holds the dampers would yield the frame. Shout out to D's Automotive in Kapolei for the welding job. Decided to also install the ARB Rear Tow Hooks at the same time since the reinforcement collars would prevent the frame from yielding under the OEM torque specification and the HKS damper instructions show that the hooks can be installed at the same time.
Happy with the look of the ARB Rear Tow Hooks - they look like little flames shooting out the back of the truck and go well with the ARB rear bumper. It is also reassuring to know that they are functional if I ever need them when I get stuck in the grass swale on the side of the costco parking lot.
I am actually impressed with the HKS Performance Dampers. Thought it wouldn't make too much of a difference, but the reduction in vibration, chassis flex, and body roll is apparent while driving. Very noticeable at low speeds. At higher speeds, the effect is less pronounced but still obvious. Worst thing about them is, as of today 10/3/26, the fasteners they were shipped with will not work with the ARB Rear Tow Hooks also installed, you will need custom fasteners. The bracket damper mounting fasteners are fine. Teqsport now has a note on their website saying this and is in contact with HKS after I informed them. Unsure when it will be resolved.
I kept thinking to myself that it felt weird and funny because my body and head were reacting too hard to turns and road imperfections I had driven through hundreds of times. I'd liken it to lifting a hollowed and dried out tree stump that you didn't know was in that condition. You prepare yourself based on how it looks and prior experience, and you start to lift like it's heavy, but then all of a sudden you stand up holding the tree and you realize you didn't have to do all that. It was a weird but satisfying feeling and I kept smiling to myself when I was driving, like all that effort put into keeping myself upright in turns was no longer needed. Interesting thing I also noticed is the truck felt more eager to accelerate during turns and out of turns. I think it is because the truck is more planted with the reduction in bodyroll, so the ECU is allowing more acceleration. I always noticed that the truck would cut power when turning and I attributed it to a traction control type protection. Would recommend the dampers if you got the rear frame reinforcement collars already welded in. It's good fun driving around.
Tried to also install my bedstep with a bedstep relocation bracket, but the flanged bolts I bought were a bit too large to push past the bedstep assembly, folded up or deployed didn't make a difference.
Shout out to Belmetric.com for having all these weird bolts on tap. Waiting on my normal hex head bolts and washers so I can have my bedstep again.
_______________________________________
I had written a bunch of paragraphs explaining, but here below are the minimum* fastener sizes needed for the different variations of mod combinations summarized. Should be easier:
CAUTION! ARB REAR TOW HOOKS AND HKS PERFORMANCE DAMPERS REQUIRE REAR FRAME REINFORCEMENT COLLARS WELDED IN OR YOUR FRAME WILL YIELD UNDER THE REQUIRED TORQUE SPECIFICATION.
OEM fasteners are zinc flake coated. Yellow zinc coating has similar or better corrosion resistance characteristics.
All will require 22mm (OEM) and/or 24mm (common alternative) sockets with matching open ended or box wrenches plus a torque wrench capable of 125 ft-lbs. Usually these are all 1/2-inch drive, so a 1/2-inch drive ratchet may also be warranted if you need. Some extensions will also help for torquing and ratchet wrenching.
Flange nuts are typically ~15mm tall. Flange bolts typically have a ~35mm OD flange.
Only ARB tow hooks:
4 each M16x1.5x130mm flange bolts with 4 each matching M16x1.5 flange nuts.
ARB tow hooks with bedstep relocation bracket:
2 each M16x1.5x140mm hex head bolts
2 each M16 washers less than or equal to 35mm OD
2 each M16x1.5x130mm flange bolts
4 each M16x1.5 flange nuts.
ARB tow hooks with HKS dampers:
2 each M16x1.5x150mm flange bolts
2 each M16x1.5x130mm flange bolts
4 each M16x1.5 flange nuts
ARB tow hooks, HKS damper, and bedstep relocation bracket:
1 each M16x1.5x150mm hex head bolt
1 each M16x1.5x140mm hex head bolt
2 each M16 washers less than or equal to 35mm OD
1 each M16x1.5x150mm flange bolt
1 each M16x1.5x130mm flange bolt
4 each M16x1.5 flange nuts
*Easiest is to buy all four M16x1.5x150mm bolts, figuring out how many of each should be flanged or normal hex head. At least two need to be normal hex head if using the bedstep relocation bracket. For normal hex head bolts, get them each with a matching M16 washer. Then, buy 4 each M16x1.5 flange nuts.
Edit: shout out also to Garage88 for their front skid plate crossmember. This is the only one so far that actually lines up to the skid plate mounting holes and allows the tow hooks to sit flat and has pretty good steel being used.
Rival 4x4 allows the tow hooks to sit flat but theirs never lined up with my skid plate no matter what I did. Also pretty weak steel used - I straight up tapped through it the second time mounting my skid plate. Ratcheting by hand, too.
RCI probably the most beefy and lined up, but interfered with tow hooks. Same with greenlane offroad, although theirs was much less interference than RCI. Never tried NYTOP and will not.
Sponsored
Attachments
-
4.6 MB Views: 15
Last edited: