Sponsored

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
I tried to opt out of only the drive pulse and insure connect, but the only option I had on my phone was to opt out of all three. Not sure how you were able to have choices.
You don't need to opt out of Master data consent. Unless you want to.
Sponsored

WWTravel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-road
I would not turn anything off, get another insurance provider. My 24 Tacoma is listed as Commercial on my registration as are all trucks in California. I would have a problem with my insurance company monitoring my movements. Good luck!

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I would not turn anything off, get another insurance provider. My 24 Tacoma is listed as Commercial on my registration as are all trucks in California. I would have a problem with my insurance company monitoring my movements. Good luck!
Toyota shares your data with insurance companies if you have the services enabled. I mean unless you like to be tracked, and have your insurance rates based on data that might not even be correct.

Taco Golfer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
What is the advantage of letting them track and report?

ZIGGY

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OffRoad
Got this juicy letter in the mail:

IMG_6539.png

Story time:

Insurance company called inquiring about how I own so many vehicles (5x vehicles, single, unmarried) and asking what I did for work. I mentioned I'm self-employed (more specifically I'm an employee of my own company) so they asked what I'd be doing with the truck.... I told them all my business is conducted by employees and the most I've ever used a truck for 'work' is going to the UPS store...

Lady says something like "NOT ALLOWED !!11"

to which I responded: "Ok so then I just won't do that... how do you think I've ran businesses without a truck??"

She wasn't having any of that: "TOO LATE YOU'VE ALREADY ADMITTED IT!!!"..

I then spent the next few minutes berating her... pointing out that if I've owned this company for years now, I could absolutely continue to run a business without a pickup truck and pointing out that trips to the UPS store are not nearly as risky as typical Tacoma owner stuff such as: moving furniture, transporting dirtbikes, overlanding, camping, driving up to Alaska, etc... She wasn't having it so I hung up.

Apparently American Family aka Ameriprise aka Costco Insurance doesn't even offer new policies in California or Florida anymore and the state hasn't allowed them to raise rates, hence them trying tooth and nail to find any excuse to boot existing customers from these states.... in fact they posted nearly $2b in losses last calendar year. Due to huge fire risks, earthquakes, and auto theft here, some insurance companies are even flying drones over backyards looking for excuses to cancel policies.

The moral of this story isn't news.... California is expensive and if your insurance company calls you with 'questions' tell them to kick rocks and that your truck is parked in the garage 24/7 and you work in telesales...
Who willfully lives in California? I get that itā€™s got some sweet weather and the land is beautiful but absolutely everything else is pure shit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dongar

Dongar

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Who willfully lives in California? I get that itā€™s got some sweet weather and the land is beautiful but absolutely everything else is pure shit.
haha... I agree... I was born and raised in the SF bay area so roots and family make it harder to leave though

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
haha... I agree... I was born and raised in the SF bay area so roots and family make it harder to leave though
Yup. I grew up here. Family roots + my trade work is basically only in CA or NYC (and I would haaaaate living there) so unless I want to completely change fields and leave all my friends and familyā€¦. Iā€™ll be in CA for the long haul :p at least the weather is lovely in SoCal. That deff helps haha

I got my insurance to quote me something likeā€¦.. I wanna say 2500/2600 for the year for a 24 taco? Iā€™m not sure if that changes if I put stuff on it (like a shell) to have itā€™s registry change from commercial to a regular passenger vehicle in ca. if youā€™re in states like CA where insurance companies have pulled out you can still be grandfathered into pre-existing things and build off existing policy plans ~ thatā€™s what Iā€™m aiming to do.

also donā€™t forget to update your home owners or rental insurance to cover any tools and equipment you keep in your trucks! If it is bolted on like a shell or strapped to the outside then itā€™s under a different insurance bucket tho (at least in CA).

Tacomanoob

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4G Tacoma
Mines dont have insurance connect. Why does yours have that.

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
The trips to the UPS store are business use arenā€™t they, or is this just personal pickups? Which non-personal use typically has to be disclosed to your insurance company, at risk of them denying a claim of course if you donā€™t, though Iā€™m not certain of the specifics there. Iā€™m not sure how much the increase for business use would be, but Iā€™m presuming there you can shop around for better rates. Sadly with insurance companies you really do have to cha

OP
OP
Dongar

Dongar

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
The trips to the UPS store are business use arenā€™t they, or is this just personal pickups? Which non-personal use typically has to be disclosed to your insurance company, at risk of them denying a claim of course if you donā€™t, though Iā€™m not certain of the specifics there. Iā€™m not sure how much the increase for business use would be, but Iā€™m presuming there you can shop around for better rates. Sadly with insurance companies you really do have to cha
this particular insurance company doesn't offer coverage for business use, or at least just wasn't interested in covering me. I can argue all day long that any joe schmoe selling one thing on eBay and dropping it off at UPS store is also business use but they just weren't willing to hear me out especially as these morons are posting billions in claim losses each year.

But anyways, yeah I've got a little time to shop around and I'll probably try the Toyota-offered insurance plan because I drive really slow so maybe their stalking data works in my favor haha

Reactions: MJE

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
this particular insurance company doesn't offer coverage for business use, or at least just wasn't interested in covering me. I can argue all day long that any joe schmoe selling one thing on eBay and dropping it off at UPS store is also business use but they just weren't willing to hear me out especially as these morons are posting billions in claim losses each year.

But anyways, yeah I've got a little time to shop around and I'll probably try the Toyota-offered insurance plan because I drive really slow so maybe their stalking data works in my favor haha
Good luck with it! Honestly shopping for insurance there sounds awful & I thought it was bad enough here. I wonā€™t disagree, Iā€™m sure there are many eBay resellers at UPS every day not claiming business use. Itā€™d suck though if insurance denied a claim & Iā€˜m sure they look for every piece of evidence they can find to deny you the coverage youā€™ve already paid for.
Sponsored