Sponsored

Is anyone else losing interest in the 2024 Taco?

ForTheWin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I see the point you’re making. On the other hand I think by doing this model Toyota is much more efficient in getting the product to the masses.

Like I mentioned I’ve waited close to a year for a custom super duty (which by the way I had to remove things in order for it to be built), before that 11 months for a Raptor, wife waited 10 months for her Lincoln Aviator (which we ended up just buying one off a lot with similar specs).

I had a better experience just finding close to what I wanted TRD OF premium buying and forgetting instead of waiting for a year.
No doubt the wait times can be very long for Ford's retail orders especially for new models. If you browse the Maverick forums some have waited 2 yrs for their truck to be built.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...my-xl-hybrid-tomorrow-2-25-23-510-days.28154/

I wouldn't do it, but I think for some who endure the crazy wait, it makes the truck feel extra special when you know it's being built just for you.

Bottom line, if you're picky or want a rare build, it is going to suck no matter who you buy from.
Sponsored

Tanrmt09

First Name
Tabr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Toyota 4runner
This post literally made me join this wonderful forum. If you were really serious about purchasing the new Tacoma you would be driving in one by now like I have the last 2 weeks. Why even post a negative post like this... None of your six reasons are really valid. There is an amazing spreadsheet that lists every available taco in the area including color. Were there delays... Yes. Was it annoying... Yes. Did I get one by cultivating a relationship with my dealer... Yes. Either wait, get one, or move on bro!
I have a deposit on one and still don't have mine!

But I'm waiting for the hybrid OR to come out. Just had to throw that out there lol

Now to the OP. I've had my deposit down since November. Honestly yes it sucks ass waiting! And it sucks you can't just build out what you want. This is my wife and I second brand new Toyota so I expected it. But the way I look at it, I've been saving for over a year for this truck what's a couple more months. That's more money I'll have to put down if not being able to full out buy it. Plus gives the aftermarket time to build some things I want.

Yea it sucks, yes I know what you mean about not being able to wait. I have a 96 4runner as my daily that needs a new front end and some motor work. Am I going to go ask for my $2500 deposit back and cry about it. Na I even gave up an allocation on a Corolla Gr to wait!

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
Tacoma's huge recall is with last 2 years of 3G, not first year models.

I have a Nov. 2015 built 3G with no issues the last 8 years and counting.

tacoboutit

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EXL
For me it is a combination of concern about some of the posts I saw on here of people already having software issues with their tacos and the fact that my work life is pretty toxic right now and I have almost paid off my current car. If I commit to a new payment then I am basically committing to this job longterm. It's complicated but I am in school for nurse practitioner and it is hard to find clinical locations to be trained at and I happen to work at one as a nurse already, increasing my ability to get clinical training there. It is a whole sticky situation but I kinda feel trapped and the truck might put me in a deeper hole at this point.

calicoo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TRD OR
Tacoma's huge recall is with last 2 years of 3G, not first year models.

I have a Nov. 2015 built 3G with no issues the last 8 years and counting.
Moral of the story. You can wait until all the early issues are ironed out and still be hit with a massive recall in the final 2 years of the model life. Luckily doesn't affect mine but i'd be pissed if i pulled the trigger on a 2023 affected by this recall thinking it would be safe from all the first year problems of the 4G.

stokes32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I was one of the frustrated people losing interest, but I kept checking the spreadsheet and found the truck I wanted coming into a dealership a couple hours away. I picked up my truck last Thursday and am super stoked on it. I'm glad I didn't compromise on one of the other brands I was considering!!

Mackieallan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ranger
I was one of the frustrated people losing interest, but I kept checking the spreadsheet and found the truck I wanted coming into a dealership a couple hours away. I picked up my truck last Thursday and am super stoked on it. I'm glad I didn't compromise on one of the other brands I was considering!!
Well let's see it then!

PadyWagon

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
996 Turbo | TJ Rubicon (being replaced by TRD Pro)
I've been waiting for a truck, this truck, for well over a year. I've followed every announcement, every youtube channel, and the forums just looking for info and news about what I assumed I would be buying this year.

Initially thought I'd get a TRD Pro.. but then those isodynamic seats eating into rear legroom was a dealbreaker. I'm not a fan of the TH snorkel, but thought maybe it'd be ok with the right color. Then the colors came out and proved me wrong. I guess I could still get a hybrid Limited or offroad... but then it would require time, money, and mods to get those looking like something I wanted.. likely pushing the completed date into 2025 anyway.

And now I hear ppl saying if you don't have a deposit on a TH/Pro already, then you may be out of luck for 2024.
So right now, for the 2024 window, it seems like I'd have to:
  1. Compromise on color
  2. Wait most of 2024 without the truck anyway for delivery
  3. Try to find a local dealer not marking up and with decent allocation
  4. Commit to buy without knowing specs
  5. Commit to buy without knowing final pricing
  6. Buy 1st year of total redesign, carrying some risk
So my excitement is rapidly deflating. It often seems like it makes more sense now to wait until 2025, but I don't know if our situation will allow waiting. In the meantime, I find myself now looking more and more at the competition trying to see if I could make something else work.
I can only stay excited about a vehicle for so long. Ive been excited for a TRD Pro but between the shine wearing off after 10 months of looking at pictures and having a deposit, to the expectation of a $59-62k midsize truck, my eyes wandered.

I can pick up a loaded, low mileage 21-22 F150 Raptor for 70k and unlike a TRD Pro, I can get it in a fun color - orange.

(Caveat - i have no use or requirements and was cross shopping GWagens and E63 Wagons because I just want a cool fun daily)

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
I didn’t ready the whole thread, but no, not losing interest. There are good dealers out there. I’m paying whatever it says on the build feature on toyota.ca.

Thirtywon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium
I didn’t ready the whole thread, but no, not losing interest. There are good dealers out there. I’m paying whatever it says on the build feature on toyota.ca.
Exactly, my dealer was awesome to deal with. No scummy tactics, friendly staff and a fair trade value.

The trucks you want are out there, just have to be diligent about keeping a close eye on dealer websites as we don't have a finder feature on toyota.ca :(

DavesTacomaShop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
I’ve lost interest, but still have slight curiosity over what hybrids cost and if trailhunter comes with moonroof or not. Don’t think I’ll buy one new, but could wait a couple years to find one second hand. I’m mostly bummed about the moonroof being mandatory in the premiums packages, and the fact that Toyota couldn’t achieve a little more legroom (or vents) in the back.

I need a truck that can fit in my garage, but it started to feel like a lot of compromise for a lot of money. I’ve waited this long, I can wait for rates to drop and/or a used one in a few years if nothing better comes along.

I completely understand these are my constraints and may not be applicable to everyone, so go easy on me.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
I'm stoked, my first new rig in 19 yrs. Only losing interest in everyone spamming it on youtube. I hope rates stay jacked - let these first allocations roll in for the crew waiting since the cretaceous period.
Sponsored