Sponsored

MT Compares 2024 Ranger vs 2024 Tacoma - Which Is Better?

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
First in depth real world comparison between the new Ranger and Tacoma by Motortrend:

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/...rt-vs-ford-ranger-xlt-comparison-test-review/

Having test driven both myself, interestingly I agree with everything they say: the ride & transmission, and the quietness was much better on the Ranger. More importantly, the seat comfort was miles better on the Ranger (but I expected that given how the F-150 compares to the Tundra for seat comfort). I also test drove a Tundra back to back with the Tacoma, and the Tacoma was much louder inside than the Tundra as well.
I came out disappointed with the new Taco and positively surprised with the Ranger.

One thing Motortrend did not talk about much is look, and for me the Tacoma looks so much better than the Ranger. Except the Raptor, which I would buy if it was not so hard to get. The look of the regular Ranger really prevents me from buying it.

For those that don’t have time to read the review, here is the conclusion:

Tacoma vs. Ranger: What’s the Better Midsize Truck?
Cruising back to base, taking time to consider what we like and dislike about each truck, we found such ruminations were easier in the Ranger because we didn't need to shout our inner dialogues. The Tacoma’s din of road and wind noise—"boy, this is a noisy truck compared to the Ranger,” Gold said—make quiet reflection more difficult. Expanding on the point, Gold deemed the Tacoma as “feeling less substantial than the Ranger, largely due to the NVH, lighter steering, and plasticky interior.” Contrastingly, Seabaugh’s final summarizing comment on the Ford is simple: “Solid truck, this.”

In redesigning the Ranger and Tacoma, Ford and Toyota each had the opportunity to shake off cobwebs from the ancient outgoing trucks and let the 2024 models tell their own, new stories. Despite an abundance of modern hardware, impressive digital displays, and edgy, eye-catching looks, the 2024 Tacoma tale remains much the same: It’s in need of additional finishing. Slight improvements to comfort, powertrain tuning, and bed features would go a long way for this new Tacoma, which stubbornly remains equal parts refined and rough.

Although technically not as “new” as the Toyota, the 2024 Ranger turns a page even with largely carryover fundamentals. Ford succeeds in hiding the not-new platform and engine under layers of thoughtful and fresh design, pleasant driving dynamics, and useful work-ready equipment. In doing so, the Blue Oval delivers a truck that’s more ready for the needs and whims of today’s midsize pickup drivers than the segment’s bestseller.

Tacoma verdict: A brand-new truck that still feels old, the Tacoma is improved from before—but it’s not better than the Ranger.
Ranger verdict: Harder-working and nicer to drive than the Tacoma—for a slightly lower price—the Ranger is finally the truck it should’ve been.
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/...ord-ranger-xlt-comparison-test-review/photos/
Sponsored

Reactions: MJE
OP
OP

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Maybe. But it's still a Ford.

https://www.livenowfox.com/news/carmakers-most-recalls-2023-is-my-car-under-recall

It would be number 1 on my never buy list. Beating out KIA (off brand and poor dealer network),
Subaru cause "its love", (and the shitty CVT), any BEV because they are a joke!
The new Tundra has tons of issues, and many issues already reported for the new Tacoma.

The old Tacoma and 4runner are super reliable, because they are old proven platform. Don’t expect the new one to be as reliable as the old one.
Also, the new Tacoma costs several thousands more than the new ranger. You can buy a 10Y 120K miles bumper to bumper warranty on the Ford and still pay less overall and have even more peace of mind.

So for me, those arguments are not valid. Not to mention recalls mean nothing and everything. On previous cars I have owned, a majority of recalls where things you would never even notice.
Consumer Reports which analyze reliability in depth has the F-150 more reliable than the new Tundra.

I don’t need foxlive or consumer reports to tell me which Truck I like from a look perspective though, and there is no denying as far as I am concerned than the Ranger (Raptor excepted) is ugly.

I am waiting for the Trailhunter pricing to be released and might decide to just buy full size at this point.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
I don't get the whole bit about bed features lacking on the Tacoma. The halo tacos are loaded, air compressor, exterior lighting. This come standard on a lower trim Ranger?. You can get a 6' configuration from Toyota but only bed length in a Ranger is 5' if I'm not mistaken?

North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Lexus LX470. 2022 Can Am Commander XT-P Max
I haven't driven either truck, but their claim that the Tacoma seems old vs the Ford certainly isn't true from an exterior styling standpoint. Even the 3rd gen Tacomas still look relatively modern as does the 4th gen, while the current gen Ranger looks like it was designed in about 2003.

Type2Diabetes

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR - Silver
Competition is good, the consumer is the one who wins. The mid size market has needed competition for years.

The bulbous front end look of the ranger even the ranger raptor is something I can’t get past.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, German Money Pit, Rusty Toyota
Aesthetics aside, the Ranger does have a lot going for it in lower spec trims comparatively. The Tacos have never had the best seats or driving position, and the back seats on the quad cabs are a joke.

Toyota may very well have missed the ball on that end but the legions of fans won't care. Hell, I drove a First Gen Taco up and down the East Coast many, many times. And that thing's seats sucked. Wouldn't stop me from buying another.

But here's the rub, and this is from a Toyota engineer (paraphrasing): Only 10% of the buyers will take them off road. So we build the trucks for those 10% because If we built them to be nicer and softer on road for the 90% then we'd likely strand the 10% somewhere off road.

907Yota

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Toyota Xtracab 4WD
And they incorrectly claimed you couldn’t get a factory spray in bed liner in the Taco.

(not to mention they mentioned a non existent Axcess Cab)

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
The new Tundra has tons of issues, and many issues already reported for the new Tacoma.

The old Tacoma and 4runner are super reliable, because they are old proven platform. Don’t expect the new one to be as reliable as the old one.
Also, the new Tacoma costs several thousands more than the new ranger. You can buy a 10Y 120K miles bumper to bumper warranty on the Ford and still pay less overall and have even more peace of mind.

So for me, those arguments are not valid. Not to mention recalls mean nothing and everything. On previous cars I have owned, a majority of recalls where things you would never even notice.
Consumer Reports which analyze reliability in depth has the F-150 more reliable than the new Tundra.

I don’t need foxlive or consumer reports to tell me which Truck I like from a look perspective though, and there is no denying as far as I am concerned than the Ranger (Raptor excepted) is ugly.

I am waiting for the Trailhunter pricing to be released and might decide to just buy full size at this point.
Great, it sounds like you have it all figured out. I think you should definately buy that Ranger! For me personally I will take a Toyota product (with it's tons of problems) over a Ford every time. I couldn't care less what one costs versus the other.

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
I couldn't care less what one costs versus the other.
I do care, but the purchase price is only one piece. Look at the resale of a Ranger vs a Tacoma. Is the Ranger really cheaper? I considered a Frontier as well, since they're significantly cheaper to buy... but their value drops like a rock.

I'd also say the claim that the new Tundra has "tons of issues" is entirely false. It had one or two engine issues in the VERY early production units, but I'd argue it's one of the most reliable full size pickups on the road now. "Many issues" for the Tacoma. Right.. the ONE connector that is a common issue on the first production units. Beyond that, it's been one-off failures.

To be clear, I entirely agree with your post - Tacotac should go and buy a Ranger if he's so convinced.

drabon74

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4-Runner
I’m in the market, I have not decided what I will buy yet. i will say I have owned 2 tacomas, 3 tundras, and 4 4Runners, so Tacoma has the upper hand based on previous positive ownership experiences. Toyotas hold their value and super reliable. I have also owned a new 2015 mustang GT and it was a nice ride, but resale was not good. All that said, the Ranger just looks so pedestrian compared to the Tacoma and AT4 GMC Canyon. I did sit in a new Tacoma, found the interior very comfortable, infotainment was awesome and intuitive. The Ranger would have to be miles better to overcome it just looking bland, but I will give it a shot.

n118nw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4G Taco OR Premium
I almost bought a new Ranger instead of a 4G Taco, the thing that stopped me was Ford delaying the release of the Ranger in the US, and I'm glad I chose Toyota. Toyota has always had more aftermarket support than any other manufacturer but the biggest dealbreaker for me was the interior; I'm not a big fan of the humongous tablet (I did opt for the larger screen in the Tacoma but it's in a different orientation than the Ranger). I don't really care too much for the digital dash UI that Ford chose. I don't really care for the cheap plastic feel to the center console. The only Ranger I was interested in was the Wildtrak (or a Tremor if Ford does it).

I think GM did an excellent job with the new Canyon/Colorado; if a Colorado had the interior of the Canyon (mostly the air vents, I don't like round air vents) I probably would have bought a ZR2. I was also looking at the Canyon but I hate those tail lights, and I hate that if I wanted to buy lockers, I was forced to spend an extra 6K for the AT4X when I could just have the cheaper ZR2.

I had a Nissan a long time ago.. and Nissan today is not what it was of the '90's.

Harry7

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I’m in the market, I have not decided what I will buy yet. i will say I have owned 2 tacomas, 3 tundras, and 4 4Runners, so Tacoma has the upper hand based on previous positive ownership experiences. Toyotas hold their value and super reliable. I have also owned a new 2015 mustang GT and it was a nice ride, but resale was not good. All that said, the Ranger just looks so pedestrian compared to the Tacoma and AT4 GMC Canyon. I did sit in a new Tacoma, found the interior very comfortable, infotainment was awesome and intuitive. The Ranger would have to be miles better to overcome it just looking bland, but I will give it a shot.
I’m in the market as well. I’ve been hesitant, based on Taco lack of inventory/selection. The M/T Sport interests me. With that said, I haven’t test driven any midsize truck.

Could you add some insight on the comments about Tacos cabin being loud vs orher competitors?

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Watching both with great interest as I may just go back to a truck (or 4Runner/LC/GX…). Sadly haven’t had the opportunity to check out either in person yet, but I can believe their conclusions. Whether or not they agree with mine or anyone else’s checking the two out in person & making a potential purchase decision on different criteria than used for an article.

Armchairing both though, the looks question is definitely an interesting one. The Taco design seems to really move the bar forward on making a desirable looking truck inside & out. Last year’s model could’ve been a 2023 or a 2003. The 2024 looks fresh & new in every way & couldn’t possibly be mistaken for an earlier year.

The Ranger (perhaps excepting the Raptor) though seems definitely designed for those, say like me, who already have had & like Ford trucks. The look is plain & inoffensive but could be a 2014 or a 2024. That might appeal to me, but isn’t as likely to sway cross brand shoppers.

drabon74

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4-Runner
I’m in the market as well. I’ve been hesitant, based on Taco lack of inventory/selection. The M/T Sport interests me. With that said, I haven’t test driven any midsize truck.

Could you add some insight on the comments about Tacos cabin being loud vs orher competitors?
I didnt get to drive the tacoma, but I turned it on and listened to the radio. Radio was decent, no clue about road noise(yet). I love the interior layout and the functionality of the infotainment system
Sponsored