Multiple issues with my new Tacoma

LastBastion

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota Tacoma
I finally received my long awaited Tacoma. First thing I noticed the next day in full sunlight, (I picked it up right before dark.), was a strange paint pattern on the passenger doors. The celestial silver went dark-light dark-light all the way down the doors near the handles only. I checked the other doors and didn't see any patterns, just even paint. I thought about it for a few days. I kept thinking that these are painted by machines not humans, so I couldn't understand patterning. Decided to show a couple friends to see what they thought. They were equally surprised, then one of them noticed a spot on the rear wheel fender that was even more noticable. A very clearly outlined touch-up attempt that failed miserably. I can easily trace the outline.
So I dropped into the dealership. The sales associate, a really good guy, agreed to have the service director take a look. I agreed to stop by a few hours later to meet with him. Then I started noticing things. Take a look at the rubber trim around the windows of your Tacoma. The seal is almost non-existent. It's actually easy to stick a pocket knife blade into the huge gaps. Not to mention that where they used a little piece of plastic to join the rubber you can flex the whole door panel with slight pressure.

While taking the time to closely examine the deficient seals, I stumbled onto an actual dent in the trim above the rear door. I couldn't believe it. Somehow I'd not noticed it, but neither had anyone else.

According to the dealership this is all damage and attempts to hide it that probably occurred away from the factory. They are having a rep from Toyota take a look, hopefully soon, and I'm on pins and needles waiting to learn what they are willing to do about it.

PXL_20240329_005255850.jpg

PXL_20240329_005306981.jpg

PXL_20240329_005412267.jpg

PXL_20240329_005244865.jpg
Sponsored

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
Damn, this post made me go out and inspect my own truck. I do have small gaps in the rear windows on the bottom rubber pieces, but it's not concerning. As far as your paint imperfections and that dent, that is horrible, and I am extremely sorry to see that happening on your truck.

I'm sure you won't, but do not allow them to have their body shop repair that dent in the cab. As far as I'm concerned, they need to give you a new truck.

OP
OP

LastBastion

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota Tacoma
My hope is that they do replace the truck. The problem is that I don't have any idea how extensive the damage they repaired was. At the very least it required painting the doors. The dent is very hard to understand. How do you even make a dent like that, in that location?
I looked at the seals around the windows of my old 2005 Tacoma and there's simply no comparison. The quality is far superior on the old one. When I asked the service director what he thought about the window seals he shook his head. I asked where he thought the water would go and he stated the obvious. Into the door.

By the way, when you open the rear doors after it's been raining a small amount of water always drops from the guides at the top of the door onto the plastic guards inside the truck. It's consistent. I noticed it happens every time.

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
That is why I always go in pairs to pickup a delivery vehicle. I bring my wife.

I always demand and ask to have the vehicle ready for me outside and not hiding in the back shop. I always tell the dealer guy I want to see it pulling in because it will be an awesome sight and part of my "positive" experience. Lame excuse but I have my reasons.

Then we both can get a quick peek at it and while he tries to whisk me inside to start the paperwork, my wife hangs out (or seeks the restroom and goes back out depending on sitch) and walks around the truck more and looks for anything and then comes in later to give me any details.

Humans do forget things on inspections, and I would be distracted like a kid in a candy shop upon delivery. That is where my wife comes in because she does not get a guys obsession with getting a new truck, or even a car.

She inspects while I am distracted starting the paperwork.

Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I have the same gap on my back windows, could be an issue with rain

OP
OP

LastBastion

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota Tacoma
I was definitely not on my game when I went to pick up the truck. The light was waning. It was under an awning, and they were closing in an hour. I hurried through everything.
It never occurred to me that a vehicle could be sold as "new", when it had body damage that had been repaired.
Too late now. I'm at the mercy of Toyota protocol and hoping they recognize their mistake and give me what I paid for, a new truck.

I'll post as the process goes forward.

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Keep us updated, this is so incredibly bad. Not only should the dealership have caught it, but the people who damaged it at port or wherever... Sorry you're going through this OP!

CP650

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 TRD OR DCSB
I would demand a new truck. You paid for a brand new truck, not a damaged and repaired truck. My issue would be not fully knowing what the extent of the damage was.

Hope they make it right and you get what you deserve.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
Very disappointing in the dealer. We all have seen our tires way over inflated so we know they are not really checking the trucks. Mine was pulled in to a well lit delivery bay and I had plenty of time to go over it. I am OCD about scratches and dents etc so checked it well. Not sure I would have caught that dent though. I have the same gap in my rear windows. Going to check my son's 3rd Gen tacoma to see if they are there as well.

Maybe they can do paintless dent repair on that dent. I had it done once, and I could not tell there was ever a dent, it was pretty amazing.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
I just tell them I want to check it out and test drive before signing. I would be suspicious of any dealer that wasn’t perfectly willing.
Yeah I wouldn't send my wife to do it. I just tell them I'm going to inspect/test drive the vehicle before I buy it. No discussion, non negotiable. I have never had a dealer say no.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
I finally received my long awaited Tacoma. First thing I noticed the next day in full sunlight, (I picked it up right before dark.), was a strange paint pattern on the passenger doors. The celestial silver went dark-light dark-light all the way down the doors near the handles only. I checked the other doors and didn't see any patterns, just even paint. I thought about it for a few days. I kept thinking that these are painted by machines not humans, so I couldn't understand patterning. Decided to show a couple friends to see what they thought. They were equally surprised, then one of them noticed a spot on the rear wheel fender that was even more noticable. A very clearly outlined touch-up attempt that failed miserably. I can easily trace the outline.
So I dropped into the dealership. The sales associate, a really good guy, agreed to have the service director take a look. I agreed to stop by a few hours later to meet with him. Then I started noticing things. Take a look at the rubber trim around the windows of your Tacoma. The seal is almost non-existent. It's actually easy to stick a pocket knife blade into the huge gaps. Not to mention that where they used a little piece of plastic to join the rubber you can flex the whole door panel with slight pressure.

While taking the time to closely examine the deficient seals, I stumbled onto an actual dent in the trim above the rear door. I couldn't believe it. Somehow I'd not noticed it, but neither had anyone else.

According to the dealership this is all damage and attempts to hide it that probably occurred away from the factory. They are having a rep from Toyota take a look, hopefully soon, and I'm on pins and needles waiting to learn what they are willing to do about it.

Wow! H O W did that cab dent get there?! The only time I have ever seen that sort of thing is when a fifth wheel trailer gets turned too far and contacts the cab. Obviously you were not 5 wheeling with a Tacoma.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
That sucks. You pay a lot of money you want to start fresh. Kind of ruins the excitement of getting the new truck.

Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)

Dang brother, I’m sorry to hear about your issues. I hope Toyota and/or the dealership take care of everything for you!
Sponsored