Sponsored

SleepyBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma, TRD Off Road 4x4
There's so much I love about my 24, and keep finding new stuff every day.

Today's find:
When you remote start, the engine does not shut off when you open the door. In addition, the infotainment stays alive and doesn't restart when you hit the ignition button to start your journey!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
SweetDave

SweetDave

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4x4
There's so much I love about my 24, and keep finding new stuff every day.

Today's find:
When you remote start, the engine does not shut off when you open the door. In addition, the infotainment stays alive and doesn't restart when you hit the ignition button to start your journey!
RIGHT! I’ve discovered that and like you said it’s like every other time I use the vehicle it either does or does NOT do something that makes me think “hell yeah.” :cool:

SleepyBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does your hood have the sound dampening material? I have off road upgrade package and mine does not.

OP
OP
SweetDave

SweetDave

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4x4
It does not. But I like hearing the turbo spin up so I’m glad! :p

SleepyBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The app is pretty slick, I'm scared to only leave the house with just my phone. I was also able to share my virtual key with someone else. For now I just carry the credit card key in my wallet mine came with.

I also like you can disable most nannies and a lot of the pop ups. I recently turned off the back seat warning. The dash is also customizable, and you can see all your pressures/temps now!

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
I just wish that remote start from the app would let the truck run for longer than 10 minutes. When it snows over here in my state, it will take longer than 10 minutes to defrost my vehicle. I realize that I can remote start it a second time, but letting me actually set how long the vehicle runs for would be great.

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
I just wish that remote start from the app would let the truck run for longer than 10 minutes. When it snows over here in my state, it will take longer than 10 minutes to defrost my vehicle. I realize that I can remote start it a second time, but letting me actually set how long the vehicle runs for would be great.
Not doing your truck any favors by letting it idle that long on warm up. Idle for a few mins and then brush it off and go.

OP
OP
SweetDave

SweetDave

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4x4
Not doing your truck any favors by letting it idle that long on warm up. Idle for a few mins and then brush it off and go.
Genuine question: is idling different for turbo engines? I ask because I’ve looked up idling and the overwhelming input is that doing does not adversely affect the engine so long as temps remain in tolerance. Of course modern engines don’t need a warm up as older carbuerated engines did, but Google seems to indicate that there’s no tangible “damage” from idling. That said, I’m an older guy who came of age in the period of older crappy engines so I still don’t LIKE idling for long periods of time.

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Genuine question: is idling different for turbo engines? I ask because I’ve looked up idling and the overwhelming input is that doing does not adversely affect the engine so long as temps remain in tolerance. Of course modern engines don’t need a warm up as older carbuerated engines did, but Google seems to indicate that there’s no tangible “damage” from idling. That said, I’m an older guy who came of age in the period of older crappy engines so I still don’t LIKE idling for long periods of time.
Some OEMs will give a mile equivalent for an hour of idling. Most say 1 hour idling is equivalent to driving 30 to 50 miles in terms of wear and rear and engine oil breakdown. I'm in a cold climate, but unless it's -40, I try not to warm up more than about 2 or 3 minutes. Exception is if you have a lot of snow or frost and it takes a while to clear it with a brush.

SleepyBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some OEMs will give a mile equivalent for an hour of idling. Most say 1 hour idling is equivalent to driving 30 to 50 miles in terms of wear and rear and engine oil breakdown. I'm in a cold climate, but unless it's -40, I try not to warm up more than about 2 or 3 minutes. Exception is if you have a lot of snow or frost and it takes a while to clear it with a brush.
Sadly, mileage is one of the worst measures for oil intervals. Too many variables like time to accomplish those miles. We don't have easily accessible hour meters, so it's always best to err on the side of caution. That's why I just do 6 months or 5k miles.

For example 150 hours at 35 mph is 5250 miles while 150 hours at 65 mph is 9750 miles.

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
Most say 1 hour idling is equivalent to driving 30 to 50 miles
Who was talking about an hour of idling?

I try not to warm up more than about 2 or 3 minutes. Exception is if you have a lot of snow or frost and it takes a while to clear it with a brush.
We get sometimes 1/4" of ice on our windows during the bad months, 2 or 3 minutes of idling is going to help. This isn't snow that can be brushed off.

TexasBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Thanks, TexasBill! Im more impressed with it every day, and I’ll confidently say that you’d NOT regret purchasing one.
I had a 2019, traded for a 21 4 Runner, then a 23 Highlander. when I heard about the upgrade on the Tacoma after purchasing and driving the Highlander. I could not wait for the Tacoma to come out. I will most definitely be getting one just probably not until early of 25, either a left over 24 or a 25. Glad to hear how much you are enjoying it, and can't wait to get mine. Maybe sooner rather than later after your glowing review.