Sponsored

Possible to build on 2024 Tacoma with a canopy camper and light interior build, and remain within the "Payload" limit??

Tacanta14

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BD Hardtop 4Dr 2.3 MT
My red-taco buld with the ARE shell had a bed platform with easy under-platform storage for camp gear. We also used a Truck Tentz out the rear through the ARE's man-door. One thing we liked about that particular shell was we noticed very little trail dust. It was an enjoyable setup for short ~week long adventures back in the day when we were still doing the 9-to-5 gig.
tacotent2.jpg
I had an ARE shell on my 2019 Sierra Elevation, and it had the higher roof line towards the back end so that I had more headroom (good thing I'm only 5'4") and loved it! Slept inside it many times, and since it's just me and my dog, never thought that I needed the extra space that a bed/tent provides, but that's a nice setup you had! How do you like your van conversion compared to the taco setup; probably way easier because when you get to your destination, you're already set up!
Sponsored

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
The only thing I really hate about the clam shells is that you can't stand up inside when they're open, or if you can you lose a lot of truck bed access

IMG_0273.jpg
You can stand up in a GFC but it needs to be the camper module for trucks & gladiators. The roof can hold 500lbs, so how you dial in the bed storage is everything depending on how long you stay at your camp spots. Way easier/faster pack up vs. sleeping on the ground. The right mix of roughing it & having a streamlined camping setup. But like all camping setups need to factor in what you intent to do, age, dogs what the gf or wife wants to do etc.

2024 Tacoma Possible to build on 2024 Tacoma with a canopy camper and light interior build, and remain within the "Payload" limit?? IMG_4540

907Yota

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Toyota Xtracab 4WD
I would say just do it. I drive a 1985 Toyota with a shell on the back. When I was a younger, I had a bed/storage unit in the back as well.

It made a great overland rig. I’m still driving the truck today, with the canopy. (I no longer have the extra stuff built in)

With two people and a build that you’re describing, it will do fine. 😉

Tacanta14

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can stand up in a GFC but it needs to be the camper module for trucks & gladiators. The roof can hold 500lbs, so how you dial in the bed storage is everything depending on how long you stay at your camp spots. Way easier/faster pack up vs. sleeping on the ground. The right mix of roughing it & having a streamlined camping setup. But like all camping setups need to factor in what you intent to do, age, dogs what the gf or wife wants to do etc.

IMG_4540.jpeg
Looks to me that the extended bed platform has been pushed in and under the front portion, so I assume you have to remove all your bedding to do so, and whatever else is in the bed, like a dog or partner, so it's not like the Tune, which you just hop out of bed and the entire floor space is available
That was the point I was making, and the other thing about a clam shell is that you're either sleeping with your head inches from the ceiling or both people need to turn around to sleep with their heads on the high side. The Tune also gives you a foot more width, so it's a much more spacious feeling. To each their own, I guess!

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
Looks to me that the extended bed platform has been pushed in and under the front portion, so I assume you have to remove all your bedding to do so, and whatever else is in the bed, like a dog or partner, so it's not like the Tune, which you just hop out of bed and the entire floor space is available
That was the point I was making, and the other thing about a clam shell is that you're either sleeping with your head inches from the ceiling or both people need to turn around to sleep with their heads on the high side. The Tune also gives you a foot more width, so it's a much more spacious feeling. To each their own, I guess!
there's a youtube where they show the platform config options, pretty easy to move plugs around

I'm still in the trades so the GFC makes the most sense because it keeps my truck a versatile work truck when I need it to be

Tacanta14

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
there's a youtube where they show the platform config options, pretty easy to move plugs around

I'm still in the trades so the GFC makes the most sense because it keeps my truck a versatile work truck when I need it to be
Don't know if you've checked out the Tune Outdoor M1, but if you do let me know what you think, and I think for the extra 100 lbs, and that you can get canopy windows all around, insulation for the tent, and the extra width for a more spacious interior, it's the best I've seen. You do pay for all that, of course, but the difference is dramatic! Happy camping and working with your rig!

OP
OP
accrete

accrete

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Custom van conversion
How do you like your van conversion compared to the taco setup; probably way easier because when you get to your destination, you're already set up!
Well since i'm the thread originator, i guess if i answer your "Van" Q i'm not really hijacking the thread?
HaHa...

Here goes;
WE LOVE VANS!
We began with a 2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD that i sold the TACO to purchase (i actually recouped 100% of my original price plus a bit). The Chevy, which we converted from stock, was lifted and had Aluminess bling front and back, was an awesome rig off pavement on the forestry roads we traveled in the PNW...

2024 Tacoma Possible to build on 2024 Tacoma with a canopy camper and light interior build, and remain within the "Payload" limit?? accreteChevyAWDcurrent

Then in 2017 i grabbed a Promaster 159wb high-roof and we converted it. We actually explored the west for nearly three years as a Two-Van-Caravan. We used the Chevy as an off-pavement explorer and supply rig, and used the PM as our "Home".

Here is a pic of us near Lone Pine CA...We sold the Chevy a year ago, and still use the PM on adventures from our base camp near Death Valley's eastern entrance.

2024 Tacoma Possible to build on 2024 Tacoma with a canopy camper and light interior build, and remain within the "Payload" limit?? mtwhitney4

..., and another of the interior of the PM with 8'+ SS counters, a full size latex mattress on top of a Froli-Sleep System, toilet/shower that pulls out of a closet, full kitchen, and front 'dinette' area with cab seats swiveled (a ~3' SS table goes in front, but not set up in this image)...

2024 Tacoma Possible to build on 2024 Tacoma with a canopy camper and light interior build, and remain within the "Payload" limit?? SMPon2023_0905b

Oh, and we've found the PM to be actually quite capable off pavement within reason. We often set up camp in places that we see only 4x4's... but as i stated in my OP, the idea of having something more agile and compact as an alternate in the driveway is inviting.

My wife still jokes that the Promaster interior has more kitchen counter space than some homes she's lived in. It was a fun build.

We recently installed a roof-rack and doubled our solar and have a deck area the size of a full mattress :) Will make for some nice star gazing.

2024 Tacoma Possible to build on 2024 Tacoma with a canopy camper and light interior build, and remain within the "Payload" limit?? PM-roofrack

Cheers...
End hijack of my own thread ;)

Last edited:

Tacanta14

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well since i'm the thread originator, i guess if i answer your "Van" Q i'm not really hijacking the thread?
HaHa...

Here goes;
WE LOVE VANS!
We began with a 2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD that i sold the TACO to purchase (i actually recouped 100% of my original price plus a bit). The Chevy, which we converted from stock, was lifted and had Aluminess bling front and back, was an awesome rig off pavement on the forestry roads we traveled in the PNW...

accreteChevyAWDcurrent.jpg

Then in 2017 i grabbed a Promaster 159wb high-roof and we converted it. We actually explored the west for nearly three years as a Two-Van-Caravan. We used the Chevy as an off-pavement explorer and supply rig, and used the PM as our "Home".

Here is a pic of us near Lone Pine CA...We sold the Chevy a year ago, and still use the PM on adventures from our base camp near Death Valley's eastern entrance.

mtwhitney4.jpg

..., and another of the interior of the PM with 8'+ SS counters, a full size latex mattress on top of a Froli-Sleep System, toilet/shower that pulls out of a closet, full kitchen, and front 'dinette' area with cab seats swiveled (a ~3' SS table goes in front, but not set up in this image)...

SMPon2023_0905b.png

Oh, and we've found the PM to be actually quite capable off pavement within reason. We often set up camp in places that we see only 4x4's... but as i stated in my OP, the idea of having something more agile and compact as an alternate in the driveway is inviting.

My wife still jokes that the Promaster interior has more kitchen counter space than some homes she's lived in. It was a fun build.

We recently installed a roof-rack and doubled our solar and have a deck area the size of a full mattress :) Will make for some nice star gazing.

PM-roofrack.jpg

Cheers...
End hijack of my own thread ;)
I don't think you can "hijack" your own thread, but if you are guilty of that, your sentence is suspended for good behavior! And yes, you DO love vans, and you have a couple of really nice ones! Back in '73 I did the hippie cross country trip in a '61 Ford van that was a plumbers work truck; stripped the paint, put about a $1000 into some repairs and mods, and a convertible upholstered chair/bed in the back, loaded up all my camping gear, and did a NY to Miami to LA to Seattle trip over 8 months, then wound up in Tucson, and had that van until the engine (which was basically under a cover between the front seats) caught on fire! Had a bunch of people with me, got the fire out, and my boss let me use the company work truck ('71 F-100) and he took the van. Been a truck guy ever since, except for a couple of SUV's (Isuzu Trooper and a Toyota 4 Runner), and have a '22 Bronco now which I'm going to trade in for a '24 Taco OR 6' bed at some point in the near future. That's the plan as of today, anyway. Keep on truckin'!

R.O.U.S. Taco

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-9, Chevy Bolt EV
I completely understand. Doing my research on a 3rd Gen I asked an outfitter about it and they simply said that's what you live with a taco.

I'm now looking at a 4th Gen. With my family of 4, I think a canopy topper with our Ikamper will be a little over weight on our adventures, but mostly not during the weekly commute. My current calculation puts us at about 800lbs of payload. Any ideas on when canopy toppers will be available for the 4th Gen?
Sponsored