Sponsored

BillyJoeJimBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
2024 Tacoma over sold once again...

EDIT:
So after some sleuthing yesterday and opening a can of toyota payload worms I think the 24 Taco payload will be much better than 1200. 24 Tundra and 23 Taco listed sticker/manual payloads are hundreds of pounds lower than real GVWR-curbweight. This appears to go for the 24 Taco too.
GVWR for Offroad Taco according to manual: 6240
Curb weight as tested by Car and Driver (with full tank according to their protocol): 4794

Actual available payload for fully loaded offroad with full tank: 1446

Not too shabby, some thing without a premium package and sway bar disconnect may actually be approaching 1600 or 1700. I'll happily eat my own criticism in this case.

2024 Tacoma Payload, GVWR, GAWR Figures for 2024 Tacoma (published in owners manual) screenshot_20231214_164128_samsung-notes-

2024 Tacoma Payload, GVWR, GAWR Figures for 2024 Tacoma (published in owners manual) screenshot_20231215_065438_chrome-

Last edited:

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma Limited
All Tacoma’s models with the iForceMax are supposed to be about 1,710 payload, have heard this in multiple YouTube vids

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
Top spec payload is likely to be the Trailhunter. It has a suspension specific for load carrying, as the Pro will have softer valving and will most likely have less. TRD Off-Road hybrids could very well have more than the non hybrids, but less than TH. They want to move people into upper trims I imagine.

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma Limited
I am getting a Limited w/iForceMAX, this model “should” have the highest payload as it is not an off-road vehicle. Planning to use mine as a daily driver and will also be towing an Aliner pop-up approximately 2,500-3,500 fully loaded. Currently towing with our 2022 MDX Advance (5K tow pkg) which does okay, the new Tacoma either with or without iforceMAX will be a substantial improvement IMO.

BillyJoeJimBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Huh? I think they've always indicated it would be between 1000 and 1300 depending on configuration?
https://pressroom.toyota.com/2024-toyota-tacoma-is-the-ultimate-adventure-machine/

https://tfltruck.com/2023/11/video-cheapest-new-2024-toyota-tacoma-4x4-first-drive/

The number that's been floating around from Toyota and others until recently is 1700. Maybe by adding the hybrid powertrain to an offroad it will suddenly boost the payload by 500lbs but I'll believe it when I see it. Wouldn't a 40% increase in payload capacity require some pretty big changes? Plus that would put it right in the same ballpark as the Tundra... strange.

Towing on the tacoma hybrid is actually lower and hybrid Tundras payload is less than the regular Tundra payload as well.

BillyJoeJimBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Top spec payload is likely to be the Trailhunter. It has a suspension specific for load carrying, as the Pro will have softer valving and will most likely have less. TRD Off-Road hybrids could very well have more than the non hybrids, but less than TH. They want to move people into upper trims I imagine.
Yea, maybe the OME suspension on the Trailhunter is what does it and so that'll ve an exception. Still said 1700 for the off road in the May press release though. Guess we'll have to continue waiting

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Huh? I think they've always indicated it would be between 1000 and 1300 depending on configuration?
This is not correct. The Chief Engineer for the Tacoma said up to 1700.

All Tacoma’s models with the iForceMax are supposed to be about 1,710 payload, have heard this in multiple YouTube vids
This is once again not correct. The chief engineer for the Tacoma said up to that number on the Iforce max. This basically means the most bare bone Tacoma with 0 option that has the Iforce max will get this payload number. Any upper trim or adding packages will get less.

This is also incorrect. Toyota chief engineer said at lunch in a video, and I quote him « of course with all the added weight on the Trailhunter you will see that number go down". He said that right after saying that the MAXIMUM payload on a Tacoma will be 1710. Payload is not suspension. Payload is a combination of things. The reason Iforce max gets higher payload is because they have put 18in wheels on all Iforce max which clear a larger brake. Braking is one of the most important factor of Having higher payload.

The only thing going for the TH for payload, is that if for example it has 1200 like the offroad that’s still technically better because it means the GVWR is much higher. Because you already get skid plates, steel rear bumper etc included and the 1200 payload is on top of that. So all things considered 1200 payload for a TH wouldn’t be horrible. For a TRD Offroad that’s an absurdly low payload though cause if you add all the bumpers skids and rock sliders you are screwed.

In conclusion: the payload on the Tacoma sucks badly, unless you get a bare bone model, and unless the TH comes at a decent number despite having all the equipment OEM standard.

For reference a bare bone Ranger gets over 1800 which is class leading. The Ranger Raptor gets 1450 which is also class leading because the ZR2 gets a poor 1250. At least ZR2 has already skids and rock slider and good suspensions.

The fact that the TRD off road has 1200 payload and yet they charge you 55K is absurd. this eliminates the off road for me. If the TH doesn’t cut it I am getting a ZR2. OH! And don’t forget that 1200 is a base offroad! Add the premium package with moonroof and all the tech and enjoy your 1000lbs payload! Absurd.

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma Limited
This is not correct. The Chief Engineer for the Tacoma said up to 1700.

This is once again not correct. The chief engineer for the Tacoma said up to that number on the Iforce max. This basically means the most bare bone Tacoma with 0 option that has the Iforce max will get this payload number. Any upper trim or adding packages will get less.

This is also incorrect. Toyota chief engineer said at lunch in a video, and I quote him « of course with all the added weight on the Trailhunter you will see that number go down". He said that right after saying that the MAXIMUM payload on a Tacoma will be 1710. Payload is not suspension. Payload is a combination of things. The reason Iforce max gets higher payload is because they have put 18in wheels on all Iforce max which clear a larger brake. Braking is one of the most important factor of Having higher payload.

The only thing going for the TH for payload, is that if for example it has 1200 like the offroad that’s still technically better because it means the GVWR is much higher. Because you already get skid plates, steel rear bumper etc included and the 1200 payload is on top of that. So all things considered 1200 payload for a TH wouldn’t be horrible. For a TRD Offroad that’s an absurdly low payload though cause if you add all the bumpers skids and rock sliders you are screwed.

In conclusion: the payload on the Tacoma sucks badly, unless you get a bare bone model, and unless the TH comes at a decent number despite having all the equipment OEM standard.

For reference a bare bone Ranger gets over 1800 which is class leading. The Ranger Raptor gets 1450 which is also class leading because the ZR2 gets a poor 1250. At least ZR2 has already skids and rock slider and good suspensions.

The fact that the TRD off road has 1200 payload and yet they charge you 55K is absurd. this eliminates the off road for me. If the TH doesn’t cut it I am getting a ZR2. OH! And don’t forget that 1200 is a base offroad! Add the premium package with moonroof and all the tech and enjoy your 1000lbs payload! Absurd.
Since you seem to know it all, why don’t you just tell us WHICH iForceMAX model and build will have the 1,710 payload? Wouldn’t this be easier than quoting everyone you disagree with and writing your novel size post?🤷

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Since you seem to know it all, why don’t you just tell us WHICH iForceMAX model and build will have the 1,710 payload? Wouldn’t this be easier than quoting everyone you disagree with and writing your novel size post?🤷
I know nothing more than what the Program Chief Engineer publicly said. I just happened to have watched every interview he gave. Sorry you don’t like me reporting the information here!

AlexT

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado ZR2
So if the GVWR for the TRD OR is 6240 and the payload is only 1200lbs, then that puts the curb weight just over 5000lbs depending on options. Google says the 2023 TRD Pro curb weight is 4465 and GVWR of 5600 for a difference of ~600lbs! That is one chunky taco! Judging by the Grand Highlander, the base 2.4 vs the Hybrid max 2.4 is about 300lbs. To get the claimed 1700lbs payload on the iForce Max models, the GVWR will need to be raised to 7k lbs! No wonder Toyota tuned the iForce Max for performance, it's going to need it to carry around all that weight.

VikingDaddy

First Name
Erl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘72 F350 Crew Cab
My Maverick Tremor XLT has ( had since it was totaled by a 17 year old driving on the shoulder) 1250 lbs. payload. I’m looking for a 1700 lbs. payload so I’ll wait for the iMax. If I have to pay $55k I may just get a new SuperDuty with the 33” tire option for the same price. I’ve owned a 3/4 ton pickup since high school and was hoping to downsize in retirement.

JimS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 ID.4, 15 Sienna
I thought they had been stating TRD Off Road would be around 1500 lbs payload. Looks like ~1200 for all double cabs trims. Lower capacity and the shrunken fuel tank (18.2 g) are deal killers to me.
Sponsored