Sponsored

Mackieallan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ranger
There's been some MPG talk in this thread, but can the other 2024 Tacoma owners report here what kind of MPG you're getting?

I know everyone's still in the first few weeks of owning the truck, but curious if you're all seeing above or below EPA rating so far.
Sponsored

CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium and 2007 Sequioa LTD
At 85mph, I'm getting 17.5mpg

At 75mph, I'm getting around 20.3mpg

These are both in eco mode.
I would be ecstatic with 20mpg. My truck only has 35 miles on it and I will put on other 80 a day the next two days so it’s too early to tell for me. I’m assuming you all are also going with regular unleaded?

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
At 85mph, I'm getting 17.5mpg

At 75mph, I'm getting around 20.3mpg

These are both in eco mode.
There was a video a while ago where someone was testing the mileage on the Tundra and actually got better mileage on Normal than Eco. Might have been Truck King. Anyway, worth trying. I doubt it'll make a difference on the freeway, though.

FUBRWI

First Name
Frankie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Santa Cruz
On my 1 hour drive to work with combined city, highway and back roads in eco mode driving speeds up to 115 km / 70 mph I was able to achieve 23 mpg
That's basically dead on with EPA rating. I think TFL was getting similar results on their road trip IIRC.

There was a video a while ago where someone was testing the mileage on the Tundra and actually got better mileage on Normal than Eco. Might have been Truck King. Anyway, worth trying. I doubt it'll make a difference on the freeway, though.
I've read this about the Tundra also. Eco mode is just changing the relationship beteen the angle of the pedal and the torque requested from the engine. Example - if you want 200 lb/ft TQ, Normal mode will produce that torque with 20% of the pedal and Eco mode will be 30%.

So all it's doing is helping you accelerate more moderately which of course does help with MPG but if you don't change how you accelerate (more on highway) then all you're doing is pressing the gas pedal deeper.

Eco mode also changes the HVAC settings by reducing the compressor cycles so it's not all just driving. Real world results have been minimal from what I've read.

SweetDave

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4x4
Two long drives @70mph (approximately, not using cruise during break-in) have each registered 26mpg+, which I also confirmed with physical refueling. Yes, I drive like the grandpa! :p

Edited to add: No A/C running, and I accelerate slowly. About twiced a month, I drive about 1100 miles round trip to my corporate offices, and I (really - yes) lock the cruise on 65 for these trips. Now *THAT* is the mileage I'm looking forward to measuring, and I expect to see 27-28 out of that under those conditions. Obviously, I will update the group. 🤓

Last edited:

SweetDave

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4x4
Easy goes it! The break-in recommendations are for a valid reason.
Not denying the break-in is important, I always do so, but I’ll be horn-swaggled if’n I can find it in the new owners manual … am I being a dingbat and missing it?
Sponsored