Sponsored

Rear Leg room?

TacoTanium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a toyota - Maverick on the way
The current tacos rear leg room is not worthy enough to buy it (especially with a bad engine/trans already) for me. Will the new taco add an extra few inches? Everybody wants an extra few inches you know.
Sponsored

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
The current tacos rear leg room is not worthy enough to buy it (especially with a bad engine/trans already) for me. Will the new taco add an extra few inches? Everybody wants an extra few inches you know.
Most the people who had a chance to review the pre production models have claimed a lil extra legroom in the rear. Iirc, about 2-3". But seats sit higher too. Most the reviewers were around 6' tall and actually sat in the back and claimed to be mostly comfortable with ample headroom too. Short drives should be OK, but long drives may prove to get uncomfortable without too much room to stretch. If u intend to always have larger persons in the cab, you'd be best to step up to a full size truck (tundra, etc.)

Desert4G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
I wouldn't count on it. Overall dimensions were said to be mostly unchanged. But the isometric seats definitely appear to be at least 1" thicker than the standard seats.

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Most the people who had a chance to review the pre production models have claimed a lil extra legroom in the rear. Iirc, about 2-3". But seats sit higher too. Most the reviewers were around 6' tall and actually sat in the back and claimed to be mostly comfortable with ample headroom too. Short drives should be OK, but long drives may prove to get uncomfortable without too much room to stretch. If u intend to always have larger persons in the cab, you'd be best to step up to a full size truck (tundra, etc.)
Sounds like a considerable amount of additional leg room. But probably negated in the PRO with the ISO seats.

OP
OP

TacoTanium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems like we're not sure. I haven't seen the vid yet, thanks for that. I'll check out video later. If the overall length of the vehicle is the same, I wouldn't count on it. I would only get the longer bed extra cab....IFFFFFF I get one. Kinda ugly but if there's more leg room (at least like a sedan or better) with long bed, I may consider.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tundra
Seems like we're not sure. I haven't seen the vid yet, thanks for that. I'll check out video later. If the overall length of the vehicle is the same, I wouldn't count on it. I would only get the longer bed extra cab....IFFFFFF I get one. Kinda ugly but if there's more leg room (at least like a sedan or better) with long bed, I may consider.
There isn’t. Looks to be a smidgen better than the previous generation.

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
What do you mean by a "bad engine/trans already"?

OP
OP

TacoTanium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What do you mean by a "bad engine/trans already"?
I test drove a 2nd gen long time ago, and my very first thought instantly was "how in the world can anyone buy this"? It was just sooooooooooo.........daaaaaaaaaamn..............slow. I was so surprised. It was the last thing that disappointment me. The first thing was the rear leg room, I saw it, I knew I wasn't going to get it but I had to test drive it. It was a silver 2nd gen crew cab long bed, which it what I was in the market for. To an even bigger surprise the 3rd gen wasn't any different. When I read about the poor engine/trans combo and bad mpg, I knew exactly what they were talking about.

I was starting to think the taco was born by accident or something that they had an engine from here and trans from there and put it together you get a best selling truck and never wanting to change that because of the good market.

The 4th gen will be better for sure, but I think not enough for me, and seems like not enough for most people too.

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
Well I was at the Texas State Fair on Monday and was finally able to see in person and was able to sit in them.

Sad to say this knocked the Tacoma off my list. I should have known it was wishful thinking to begin with since the 23 was so small inside IMO. It's been a while since I sat in the 23 generation so just going off memory but yes this did have a better seating position but not really any extra room. It was really tight.

There was no power to the seats so I wasn't able to to adjust them, but I probably needed the front seat to go back about an inch to be the most comfortable, I was barley able to fit my legs in the rear seat and they were into the seat in front of me. It also had a sun roof and my head was sticking through it...again I was not able to adjust the seat so it may have been able to be moved down a bit and I would be ok.

In the end like I mentioned at least I was able to narrow my search since the Tacoma is now off my list. On the surprising side there was a Ford Maverick nearby so I went back and forth between them a couple of times. The Maverick felt like it had more room to me, but the front seat and materials were better in the Tacoma. I also sat in the 24 Ranger.... it seemed to be the winner for interior space IMO and was pretty comfortable.

marvelmadman

First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
former 00 taco sr5. tbd 24 OR or trail hunter
Well I was at the Texas State Fair on Monday and was finally able to see in person and was able to sit in them.

Sad to say this knocked the Tacoma off my list. I should have known it was wishful thinking to begin with since the 23 was so small inside IMO. It's been a while since I sat in the 23 generation so just going off memory but yes this did have a better seating position but not really any extra room. It was really tight.

There was no power to the seats so I wasn't able to to adjust them, but I probably needed the front seat to go back about an inch to be the most comfortable, I was barley able to fit my legs in the rear seat and they were into the seat in front of me. It also had a sun roof and my head was sticking through it...again I was not able to adjust the seat so it may have been able to be moved down a bit and I would be ok.

In the end like I mentioned at least I was able to narrow my search since the Tacoma is now off my list. On the surprising side there was a Ford Maverick nearby so I went back and forth between them a couple of times. The Maverick felt like it had more room to me, but the front seat and materials were better in the Tacoma. I also sat in the 24 Ranger.... it seemed to be the winner for interior space IMO and was pretty comfortable.
For context, how tall are you?

OP
OP

TacoTanium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Super short leg room was the reason I didn't get the highlander too. The 3rd row on those things were made for people with no legs, literally. Some might say the driver will never sit back there, well, I have to do more cleaning than the people who sit back there and when you clean you need even more room. I rather attempt to sit there than clean there!!

I'm also considering the AWD Maverick. Ford added 2" wheelbase to the the new Ranger to add 2" inch of rear leg room. I will probably look into a Maverick until the HEV or PHEV Ranger comes out.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just saw a video, released today I believe, of a 5'10" man sitting in rear seat of TH. Might have had about 1.5" from knees to seat back, but he also claimed he could've moved the front seat forward another 1-2" for optimal seating position while driving, this expanding that much more in the rear.

What I have found is that most persons like to drive with a heavy lean in the seat, especially taller persons. This in itself reduces most of that rear seat legroom. I'm not saying we need to sit straight up, but be mindful of how u sit vs what may be considered best practice or ergonomics.

If rear legroom is a major concern, stepping up in vehicle size would be the more practical approach. Don't concentrate on ur wants, suit ur needs first. These midsized trucks are definitely not meant to be full family haulers either. A truck was designed first and foremost as a work vehicle. Only in the last 25+ yrs has it evolved into accommodating family and for the use of traveling.

Just food for thought.

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
Just saw a video, released today I believe, of a 5'10" man sitting in rear seat of TH. Might have had about 1.5" from knees to seat back, but he also claimed he could've moved the front seat forward another 1-2" for optimal seating position while driving, this expanding that much more in the rear.

What I have found is that most persons like to drive with a heavy lean in the seat, especially taller persons. This in itself reduces most of that rear seat legroom. I'm not saying we need to sit straight up, but be mindful of how u sit vs what may be considered best practice or ergonomics.

If rear legroom is a major concern, stepping up in vehicle size would be the more practical approach. Don't concentrate on ur wants, suit ur needs first. These midsized trucks are definitely not meant to be full family haulers either. A truck was designed first and foremost as a work vehicle. Only in the last 25+ yrs has it evolved into accommodating family and for the use of traveling.

Just food for thought.
There is no good fit for sure..... not that this was going to be it since it's probably not going to get great MPG. But it will be a decision between heart and mind....if the heart wins the wallet hurts, if the mind wins everything will probably be ok. :unsure:

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no good fit for sure..... not that this was going to be it since it's probably not going to get great MPG. But it will be a decision between heart and mind....if the heart wins the wallet hurts, if the mind wins everything will probably be ok. :unsure:
Doing the right thing and researching first. Too many buy on impulse followed by regret.
Sponsored

Reactions: MJE