Sponsored

Rough transmission shifts

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
I wouldn’t say I have rough shifts but it’s definitely a little jerky at low speeds. Driving in stop and go traffic kind of sucks because the gears are so short and by the time you’re doing 20mph you’re already in 4th gear.
Sponsored

big bubba

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma off road
I have a 2024 Off Road with 1240 miles and the transmission died as I was pulling into traffic. According to the dealership it's an issue nationwide and they have no ETA on a new transmission. So my brand new truck I've had less than 2 months has been sitting at the dealership for over 2 weeks now. The transmission is automatic.

Last edited:

big bubba

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma off road
I have 989 miles on my 2024 SR5 4x4 and it is sitting in the dealer lot waiting for the new transmission to arrive. Back to driving my gen 4 2003 SR5 4Runner which has been a daily staple for 21 years
Same here with mine been at the dealer for 2 weeks now. Have they told you how long the wait is going to be? Be sure to report it to the NHTSA so they can track the issue in case a recall is needed

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I have a 2024 Off Road with 1240 miles and the transmission died as I was pulling into traffic. According to the dealership it's an issue nationwide and they have no ETA on a new transmission. So my brand new truck I've had less than 2 months has been sitting at the dealership for over 2 weeks now.
Automatic or manual transmission

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Same here with mine been at the dealer for 2 weeks now. Have they told you how long the wait is going to be? Be sure to report it to the NHTSA so they can track the issue in case a recall is needed
Auto or manual transmission

Sponsored

OP
OP
ldudiaz

ldudiaz

First Name
Lisandro Diaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma RTD Sport
I have a 2024 Off Road with 1240 miles and the transmission died as I was pulling into traffic. According to the dealership it's an issue nationwide and they have no ETA on a new transmission. So my brand new truck I've had less than 2 months has been sitting at the dealership for over 2 weeks now. The transmission is automatic.
Did the dealer say it’s a transmission issue nationwide? I wonder how many Tacomas are seating at the dealer waiting for their transmission to be fixed or replaced.
Seriously how can so many trucks have transmission issues if they did “extensive tests”?

Pdlhappy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR% 4dr 4x4, 2003 4Runner SR5 4x4
Auto or manual transmission
Mine was towed to dealer 5/10/24 and I was told they are hopeful by end of July 2024 to have a transmission. 989 miles and mine also died while pulling into traffic

big bubba

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma off road
Big Toyota told us today that we might see a transmission by the end of June. You can call toyota and they will assign a case manage to help out. The number is 1-800-331-4331. Be sure to file the info at the NHTSA so they can track the issue. So far there are only two complaints listed on their web site one of which is mine.

Pdlhappy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NHTSA complaint has been filed. Thanks for the heads up

Sponsored

Pdlhappy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Toyota told us today that we might see a transmission by the end of June. You can call toyota and they will assign a case manage to help out. The number is 1-800-331-4331. Be sure to file the info at the NHTSA so they can track the issue. So far there are only two complaints listed on their web site one of which is mine.
I have a case # for the transmission part itself and a case # for Toyota to purchase the vehicle back. Of course if they buy it back and I get another will I also get the same problem again ?? If I wait for the new trans will a fix have been made or are they shipping the same trans they are putting in the new trucks. Double edged sword for sure. I have to admit for two weeks I loved the truck...

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
I have a TRD Sport 4x4 with about 2,200 miles now. When I first start in the morning the shift is not that smooth, specially when I’m at a stop/light and press on the gas, the from zero start is pretty hard. I have not heard any clunk or anything like that but you can really feel the shift, but once is up to speed of more than 20-25 mpg the shifts are very smooth. Also when slowing down at times I feel a slight flutter. Another thing I’m noticing is a subtle whining noise when it shift specifically when the windows are up.

Not sure if the transmission needs more breaking in or learning. At this point the stop and go traffic is not making me enjoy it as much.

Are any of you experiencing anything remotely as close as I am? Thanks.
how's your transmission now? Did it get any better or worse?

OP
OP
ldudiaz

ldudiaz

First Name
Lisandro Diaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma RTD Sport
how's your transmission now? Did it get any better or worse?
I would say there are days where it’s smooth and some where it’s not. But definitely a bit letter than at the beginning, which makes me believe it’s a software issue because in about 2-3 occasions I seen the rpm gauge goes down as if the truck is shifting, but in about 1-2 second later is when the transmission actually shifts.

there are days where first to second shift fast and smooth and there are days where first to second the rpm gauge hangs and it doesn’t shifts right away. I’ve also noticed that when I’m light on the throttle, from a stop, it hangs before shifting, but if I’m a bit aggressive on the throttle it tends to not hang and shifts into second a bit better. I can’t explain it in words and can only be experience if you drive it and feel it for yourself. Once I’m over 20-25 mph this truck feels amazing though .

I’m 50/50 as far as enjoyment with this Tacoma to be honest.

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
I have 989 miles on my 2024 SR5 4x4 and it is sitting in the dealer lot waiting for the new transmission to arrive. Back to driving my gen 4 2003 SR5 4Runner which has been a daily staple for 21 years
So, when a new truck goes in for major surgery like this, they don't provide a loaner?

big bubba

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma off road
So, when a new truck goes in for major surgery like this, they don't provide a loaner?
My dealership has provide a loaner. If you read the warranty information they provide with the car it says that they are suppose to provide you a ride. But then again each dealership does their own thing.
Sponsored