Sponsored

The moonroof still sucks If you're 6'3 or above...

DavesTacomaShop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
Toyota if you're reading this, allow us to pay for the premium package without a moonroof.

I know this is fairly common knowledge about how headroom shrinks with a moonroof, but I was hoping it was *slightly* better in the '24. I sat in a TRD Sport with Premium Package today and then in a SR5 with no packages/options. Headroom in the SR5 was so much better. Kills me that I've had a deposit on a TRD OR w/ Premium and am now seriously considering dropping the Premium Package for the TRD OR Upgrade Package + Audio Upgrade without the moonroof.
Sponsored

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 Tacoma Limited
Pretty generic statement and not correct for all. Your 6ā€™3ā€ frame is not the same as some others, some have longer torsos and some have longer legs. What is a problem for you may not be a problem for others of your height. You might be better off in a Tundra or as another posted a Trailhunter or the sr5

OP
OP

DavesTacomaShop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
Point taken on the thread title, but my point is we should be able to get the premium package and those features without the moonroof, just like how almost all trim levels can be done with and without mudguards.

Tundra won't fit in the garage. Need more than what comes on SR5 and need less than what comes on Trailhunter. Will prob go Upgrade Package + Audio Upgrade.

This morning I sat in a friend's new CRV that has a moonroof and there's more headroom.

Pretty generic statement and not correct for all. Your 6ā€™3ā€ frame is not the same as some others, some have longer torsos and some have longer legs. What is a problem for you may not be a problem for others of your height. You might be better off in a Tundra or as another posted a Trailhunter or the sr5

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 Tacoma Limited
Point taken on the thread title, but I my point is we should be able to get the premium package and those features without the moonroof, just like how almost all trim levels can be done with and without mudflaps.

Tundra won't fit in the garage. Need more than what comes on SR5 and need less than what comes on Trailhunter.
Sounds like you are outta luck. Maybe the GM twins or a ford ranger you can find what you need without a sunroof. Obviously, Toyota has made this decision to keep costs lower than offering every conceivable build. Most want a sunroofšŸ˜Ž

OP
OP

DavesTacomaShop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
Yeah, updated my initial reply. Now shopping for an OR with Upgrade Package + Audio Package. Just bummed because I had an early order in (deposit down since last April), and now might be at the back of the line again.

Sounds like you are outta luck. Maybe the GM twins or a ford ranger you can find what you need without a sunroof. Obviously, Toyota has made this decision to keep costs lower than offering every conceivable build. Most want a sunroofšŸ˜Ž

Tanrmt09

First Name
Tabr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Toyota 4runner
Yeah, updated my initial reply. Now shopping for an OR with Upgrade Package + Audio Package. Just bummed because I had an early order in (deposit down since last April), and now might be at the back of the line again.
You shouldn't lose your spot even if you changed out the build. That would be a shitty deal for sure. Especially with a deposit down. That's why when I placed mine I gave two color options and three build preferences.

I agree the premium should be offered with or without a sunroof. I have one in my WRX and my 4 runner and I hardly use it

cuechairo

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(TBD) 2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Obviously, Toyota has made this decision to keep costs lower than offering every conceivable build. Most want a sunroofšŸ˜Ž
If that's the reason, then where are these low costs? šŸ‘€

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 Tacoma Limited
If that's the reason, then where are these low costs? šŸ‘€
Honda has been doing similar for years, it keeps the Company more profitable, and keeps the end product at competitive prices and it allows companies to invest profits into innovation and design. There is a reason ā€œmostā€ would choose a Toyota over the competition (resale, reliability & longevity). Maybe this is why Toyota is profitable and the worldā€™s largest manufacturer. And if you compare apples to apples, Toyota has priced these trucks very competitively with the competition.

Last edited:

AlexT

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado ZR2
My previous vehicle had a sunroof but my current one does not, I would not pay extra for one if I had the choice. I feel like one of the negatives of the Tacoma is how Toyota locks certain options behind pricey options packages. I personally want ventilated seats and a 360 cam but I have no desire for a sunroof, power tailgate, or digital rear view. Unfortunately if I want the first 2 then I'm stuck paying for the latter 3 as well, which probably add over $2k to the price of the premium package. It's a pricey truck already and by the time you add the premium package you are well into full size truck pricing with the current discounts being offered.

Taco Azul

First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X, Polestar 2, Toyota GR86
Mixed messages on the trailhunter moonroof from pre-release videos to what is mentioned on Toyotas website. Looks like it comes with moonroof standard.

https://www.toyota.com/tacoma/2024/features/mpg/7544/7536/7598/7166
Interesting. I was mostly going off the X Overland video TH that clearly didnā€™t have a moonroof.

Iā€™m 6ā€™4ā€, and my height is mostly torso. I would still prefer having a moonroof in spite of the lower ceiling. The extra light coming in is worth it to me.

OP
OP

DavesTacomaShop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
Have you been able to sit in one with premium package yet? Curious to hear your experience or if Iā€™m just being dramatic. Was annoying the moment I sat in it.

I wouldnā€™t mind the extra light, and definitely the seats and camera features of the premium package.

Interesting. I was mostly going off the X Overland video TH that clearly didnā€™t have a moonroof.

Iā€™m 6ā€™4ā€, and my height is mostly torso. I would still prefer having a moonroof in spite of the lower ceiling. The extra light coming in is worth it to me.

Taco Azul

First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you been able to sit in one with premium package yet? Curious to hear your experience or if Iā€™m just being dramatic. Was annoying the moment I sat in it.

I wouldnā€™t mind the extra light, and definitely the seats and camera features of the premium package.
Not yet. I live in Oregon and I donā€™t think thereā€™s a single ā€˜24 within 500 miles.

Iā€™m going to the Portland Auto Show tomorrow. Really hoping they have one for me to sit in.

Taco Azul

First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back from the auto show. They had one ā€˜24 Tacoma there. But it was the TH prototype, which doesnā€™t have the sunroof. And it was locked anyway, so I couldnā€™t see how it fits me. Still cool to see the TH up close!
Sponsored