Vehicle(s)
21 ID.4, 15 Sienna
Yikes, very complicated.

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Super helpful video. I do wish they set it up for a bit better mileage, but it's a pretty nice system and I like that it can operate purely mechanical if anything goes wrong with the hybrid system.

JimS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 ID.4, 15 Sienna
What is complicated?
All of it put together, which is largely inherent to a hybrid system. Some things that stuck out to me:
  • Inherent presence for a hybrid of both an ICE and BEV powertrain
  • Twin turbo, dual cam, dual injection V6
  • Electric motor with clutch
  • Transmission with 2 oil pumps
  • Multiple cooling systems/fans
Compared to the eloquent engineering of the hybrid system in the smaller vehicles this seems more complicated. There's obviously reasons for it, just grosses me out.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
All of it put together, which is largely inherent to a hybrid system. Some things that stuck out to me:
  • Inherent presence for a hybrid of both an ICE and BEV powertrain
  • Twin turbo, dual cam, dual injection V6
  • Electric motor with clutch
  • Transmission with 2 oil pumps
  • Multiple cooling systems/fans
Compared to the eloquent engineering of the hybrid system in the smaller vehicles this seems more complicated. There's obviously reasons for it, just grosses me out.
Well for starters it’s not a BEV.

that aside, much of what you mentioned isn’t new tech.

JimS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 ID.4, 15 Sienna
Well for starters it’s not a BEV.

that aside, much of what you mentioned isn’t new tech.
There is a battery to propel the vehicle. It's just not an only-battery electric vehicle. I never said it's all new technology. I said it's complicated. Not sure why you're so defensive.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
There is a battery to propel the vehicle. It's just not an only-battery electric vehicle. I never said it's all new technology. I said it's complicated. Not sure why you're so defensive.
who is defensive? I’m having a conversation…

it seems you’re getting defensive for me correcting you.

its not a BEV.

Battery electric vehicle (BEV)
Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV) are powered entirely by electricity. A BEV has no internal combustion engine (ICE), no fuel tank, and no exhaust pipe. Instead, it has one or more electric motors powered by a larger battery, which must be charged through an external outlet. You’ll want to have a powerful charger that can fully charge your vehicle overnight, like the JuiceBox Level 2 Home charger — more on that below.

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma Limited
After watching the video, are you MORE or LESS inclined to purchase with or without Hybrid iForceMAX?

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
After watching the video, are you MORE or LESS inclined to purchase with or without Hybrid iForceMAX?

I love the tech, but at what cost? 95% of my drives are 15 miles or less and under 55MPH. Would be great for me since I do so much city driving. But I will never save $4k of gas if that is what the extra cost is.

tswift

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
I love the tech, but at what cost? 95% of my drives are 15 miles or less and under 55MPH. Would be great for me since I do so much city driving. But I will never save $4k of gas if that is what the extra cost is.
Correct. That's my main issue with it is that it's an additional cost. A premium option. I understand it's additional technology and it costs more to produce and put it in there, but at the end of the day aren't automotive manufacturers supposed to be incentivising consumers forward in EVs? Ford did the same thing with the Maverick. Where are the breaks and price incentives for going green.

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Correct. That's my main issue with it is that it's an additional cost. A premium option. I understand it's additional technology and it costs more to produce and put it in there, but at the end of the day aren't automotive manufacturers supposed to be incentivising consumers forward in EVs? Ford did the same thing with the Maverick. Where are the breaks and price incentives for going green.

Yes and no. Not including a dedicated EV manufacture......They only want to encourage you enough to meet CAFE standards.
Sponsored