Sponsored

Wolfbox Power Running Board Issue on Hybrid Tacomas

Wahhabm

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
First Name
Monther
Joined
Dec 1, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
66
Reaction score
44
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Several hybrid Tacoma owners are reporting an intermittent issue with Wolfbox power running boards. They work normally when the truck is cold, but after roughly 20+ minutes of driving, the boards may stop deploying/retracting. After sitting for 5–10 minutes, they may start working again.

The system uses the truck's CAN bus, and the symptoms appear to point toward a CAN connection or Wolfbox ECU issue rather than the motors themselves.

Wolfbox initially said they were developing a new ECU, then later instructed owners to move the CAN connection from the blue/white wires to a pink wire.

Results have been mixed. One owner reports the change fixed the issue, while another experienced 32 dashboard fault codes afterward. Even after completely disconnecting the Wolfbox ECU, the warning codes later returned.

Wolfbox also currently does not list hybrid Tacoma compatibility.

For my 2024 TRD Off-Road Hybrid, I'm holding off on the pink-wire modification until there is a confirmed fix that has been proven across the hybrid models.

If you have a hybrid Tacoma with Wolfbox boards, I'd be interested in hearing whether you've experienced the same issue.

2024 Tacoma Wolfbox Power Running Board Issue on Hybrid Tacomas Screenshot_2026-09-22-05-26-09-22_e307a3f9df9f380ebaf106e1dc980bb6~2
Sponsored

 
Last edited:

EagleTalon

TRD Off-Road Premium
Active member
Joined
Aug 27, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
32
Reaction score
12
Location
PNW
Vehicle(s)
2025 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
I have the AMP steps that also tap on the factory harness. If it helps here’s a link to a harness adapter.

Male to Female 22P connector harness

2024 Tacoma Wolfbox Power Running Board Issue on Hybrid Tacomas IMG_1909


I didn’t like the idea of tapping the factory wires. I was able to soldered the wires from the steps to that adapter worry free.
 
OP
OP

Wahhabm

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
First Name
Monther
Joined
Dec 1, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
66
Reaction score
44
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
How do you connect this? Is it just an extension. What about the can wires not being twisted
 
OP
OP

Wahhabm

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
First Name
Monther
Joined
Dec 1, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
66
Reaction score
44
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
I have the AMP steps that also tap on the factory harness. If it helps here’s a link to a harness adapter.

Male to Female 22P connector harness

IMG_1909.webp


I didn’t like the idea of tapping the factory wires. I was able to soldered the wires from the steps to that adapter worry free.
I am wondering which can high and can low wires are you connecting to? We have reported that the blue pair works for non hybrids and that hybrids need to connect to the pink pair.

2024 Tacoma Wolfbox Power Running Board Issue on Hybrid Tacomas Screenshot_2026-09-22-05-26-09-22_e307a3f9df9f380ebaf106e1dc980bb6~2
 

Sponsored

EagleTalon

TRD Off-Road Premium
Active member
Joined
Aug 27, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
32
Reaction score
12
Location
PNW
Vehicle(s)
2025 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
How do you connect this? Is it just an extension. What about the can wires not being twisted

Yeah it’s an extension. No issue with the wires not being twisted, just need to follow the wire/pin # from the factory harness when tapping onto the extension because all the wires will be of the same color.
 

EagleTalon

TRD Off-Road Premium
Active member
Joined
Aug 27, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
32
Reaction score
12
Location
PNW
Vehicle(s)
2025 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
I am wondering which can high and can low wires are you connecting to? We have reported that the blue pair works for non hybrids and that hybrids need to connect to the pink pair.

Screenshot_2026-09-22-05-26-09-22_e307a3f9df9f380ebaf106e1dc980bb6~2.webp
The PIN numbers on the picture you provided don’t seem right. Unless if the hybrid are numbered differently.

Here’s a picture from AMP with the PIN numbers.

2024 Tacoma Wolfbox Power Running Board Issue on Hybrid Tacomas IMG_1535

AMP taps onto pin #20 (blue) and pin #9 (white)

On your picture Pin #18 is actually the pink wire and pin #7 is right above it on the other row.

Here is how the connector looks like on the non hybrid:
2024 Tacoma Wolfbox Power Running Board Issue on Hybrid Tacomas IMG_1549
 
OP
OP

Wahhabm

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
First Name
Monther
Joined
Dec 1, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
66
Reaction score
44
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
The PIN numbers on the picture you provided don’t seem right. Unless if the hybrid are numbered differently.

Here’s a picture from AMP with the PIN numbers.

IMG_1535.webp

AMP taps onto pin #20 (blue) and pin #9 (white)

On your picture Pin #18 is actually the pink wire and pin #7 is right above it on the other row.

Here is how the connector looks like on the non hybrid:
IMG_1549.webp
It is so confusing and the picture I shared is what wolfbox sent us and that's their numbering. And these plugs wires and their colors are different. This is my plug on my truck that is a hybrid. The 1st instructions was to tap into the blue wire pair 3rd from top. Now they are saying tap into the pink pair which means 5th. I think you are referring to a different pink wire.

2024 Tacoma Wolfbox Power Running Board Issue on Hybrid Tacomas IMG20260902155316
 

EagleTalon

TRD Off-Road Premium
Active member
Joined
Aug 27, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
32
Reaction score
12
Location
PNW
Vehicle(s)
2025 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
That’s interesting, I just looked at their website and the power steps they offer say they are not for the hybrid. AMP also doesn’t sell power steps for the hybrid. The only steps available for the hybrid that I found are the ones that use door magnets and not the CAN/OBD.

Did you buy them directly from them?
 
OP
OP

Wahhabm

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
First Name
Monther
Joined
Dec 1, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
66
Reaction score
44
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
That’s interesting, I just looked at their website and the power steps they offer say they are not for the hybrid. AMP also doesn’t sell power steps for the hybrid. The only steps available for the hybrid that I found are the ones that use door magnets and not the CAN/OBD.

Did you buy them directly from them?
They changed their listing after hybrid owners reported the problems with the tap at the blue wire. Now they are asking us to try the pink pair.
 
Last edited:

Sponsored

Turbo2Pete

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Pete
Joined
Aug 9, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
94
Reaction score
86
Location
NY (not the blasted City!!!)
Vehicle(s)
'25 Trailhunter
OK guys.... Here's where I am at - I THINK for the Hybrid, the Pink pair is the trick - I'm failry convinced my troubles were from installing the FitcamX - I removed it from the loop Monday, and reconnected the Wolfbox boards....

Until today, all was good - BUT - and it's a 'But" - today I decided to look at the windshield camera connector to make sure no pins got bent (I'm still getting an error popping up, but it goes by too fast to read, and there was no code stored) and not 10 minutes later all the codes popped again.... killing my testing...

SO - I cleared everything again, and I won't mess with anything for at least 5 days (and 3-400 miles!) to be sure it's not the running boards.

As I am fairliy convinced at this point my troubles were from the FitcamX, and not moving the running boards to the Pink CAN line - (I will be contacting FitcamX about this, and either have them send a new harness adapter, or returning the unit) I will be running with the boards connected, and NOT touching anything as they have been working perfectly since Monday.

I hope everyone (including Wolfbox especially!!!) understand that my focus was on the running boards causing my issues because of the existing problems we had on Hybrids...and when I installed the dashcam, I didn't drive it for a week since I was away.... (and my usual rule is one mod and test before adding anything else.....)

someone else had found a tracker tapped into the OBD port that was causing similar issues - I ripped the lower dash apart and don't see any tracker on my truck.
 

Turbo2Pete

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Pete
Joined
Aug 9, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
94
Reaction score
86
Location
NY (not the blasted City!!!)
Vehicle(s)
'25 Trailhunter
How do you connect this? Is it just an extension. What about the can wires not being twisted
So Jess, this adapter becomes a T-harness like we discussed - I wish I had known this was available!!! I'd have bought this from the start to tap into.

....I just ordered one.


Now for the not so good..... I had removed my camera as a potential issue - THOUGHT that was it for 2-3 days, then the codes popped again... I cleared them and 2 days later they come up again.... and again and again.

SO- -Now we're back to the Wire taps (or signal interference?) causing the issues I'm having.

I'm hoping tomorrow to have time to get the taps removed and inspect the wiring - and I'm going to repair if necessary, and just leave them disconnected at least a week to be sure... and I won't reconnect until I get that adapter and can solder in the Wolfbox CAN wires to the adapter.

The codes I'm getting are all "lost communication with..." items - so possibly a broken/cut wire at the taps.

Now, today's email from them suggests using "shark clips" instead of taps..... I just used what they supplied...... (and I can't find anything called 'shark clips' either)
 

Turbo2Pete

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Pete
Joined
Aug 9, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
94
Reaction score
86
Location
NY (not the blasted City!!!)
Vehicle(s)
'25 Trailhunter
And this morning, i pulled the fuse, and removed the taps (what wolfbox calls shark clips I found out) I'm off today and running around, 30 miles with a few stops so far no codes.
 
OP
OP

Wahhabm

TRD Off-Road
Well-known member
First Name
Monther
Joined
Dec 1, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
66
Reaction score
44
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Pete that really sucks that the codes are back.

I have not done anything for lack of time and I asked wolfbox some questions and they replied.

1st I should state they confirmed:
1. Still working on updated ECU for the hybrid trucks that might also help with the random motor noises that we hear.
2. Override switch is also in development.
3. Blue wire pair is for non hybrids connection.
4. Pink wire pair is for hybrids as a temporary solution. They don't know now when the new ECU is produced if we will continue to use the pink or not.

Number 4 is a big ??? For me me as they could ask us to move those wires again. :(
 

Turbo2Pete

Trailhunter
Well-known member
First Name
Pete
Joined
Aug 9, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
94
Reaction score
86
Location
NY (not the blasted City!!!)
Vehicle(s)
'25 Trailhunter
Pete that really sucks that the codes are back.

I have not done anything for lack of time and I asked wolfbox some questions and they replied.

1st I should state they confirmed:
1. Still working on updated ECU for the hybrid trucks that might also help with the random motor noises that we hear.
2. Override switch is also in development.
3. Blue wire pair is for non hybrids connection.
4. Pink wire pair is for hybrids as a temporary solution. They don't know now when the new ECU is produced if we will continue to use the pink or not.

Number 4 is a big ??? For me me as they could ask us to move those wires again. :(
Good info! I'd suggest you hit aliexpress and order that extension a few posts up (the one with the green wires) so you can tap into that, and not hack up your trucks wiring...

I'm going to leave it disconnected until my extension gets here (from China most likely, with Aliex) that will give me time to be certain if my codes are coming back or not.
Bunch of trips today and no lights.
Sponsored

 
 






Top