Sponsored

univurshul

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
Sounds like the bed inverter power is only available when the truck is running (time stamp 17:45). i.e., forget 'generator mode' on the '24 halo tacos. Kind of a bummer they didn't engineer the hybrid pack to be more flexible for camping/overnighting/overlanding.

I saw this coming, went with a Yoshino B2000 SST and 4x100w Renogy Black Divisions as a bolt-on to my GFC RTT roof on the TH....

Last edited:

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Tacoma Off-Road; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
Sounds like the bed inverter power is only available when the truck is running (time stamp 17:45). i.e., forget 'generator mode' on the '24 halo tacos. Kind of a bummer they didn't engineer the hybrid pack to be more flexible for camping/overnighting/overlanding.

I saw this coming, went with a Yoshino B2000 SST and 4x100w Renogy Black Divisions as a bolt-on to my GFC RTT roof on the TH....
Bummer. I had another thread talking specifics about this as well. I'll repost the video there too. I have already planned on a second battery as well, but had wishful thinking I wouldn't need one. Thanks for pointing that out.

outcast

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Bummer. I had another thread talking specifics about this as well. I'll repost the video there too. I have already planned on a second battery as well, but had wishful thinking I wouldn't need one. Thanks for pointing that out.
Run a second battery but at least you don’t have to put extra strain on your alternator to charge it.
Kinda my plan too

Clervis

First Name
Clervis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geo Metro
forget 'generator mode'
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the taco shut off the engine if at idle with a charged battery (like other Toyota hybrids)? In that case you could just leave it running and lock the doors. An auto shut-off would ruin this, and you'd risk someone driving away if they got through the door, but otherwise it'd do for worksite/camping/tailgating.

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
Unless that hybrid battery is truly a sealed system, I would suspect someone is going to find a way to make that battery run at least a 12v fridge.

univurshul

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
Unless that hybrid battery is truly a sealed system, I would suspect someone is going to find a way to make that battery run at least a 12v fridge.
ABSOLUTELY….As long as you don’t mind voiding the power train warranty 🤙🏼

…I mean, you can buy a complete solid state power supply zero thermal runaway @ 1.3kW weighing in @ only 30lbs for ~$1500 pretty compact/ simultaneous charge/discharge - OR - deal with the technical nightmare of hacking into Toyota’s hybrid system (of which is only 1.87kW using dated liquid electrolyte). Like I said, this 4 banger hybrid is running beta gen for Toyota and altho it produces 2400w during operation is killer, just not worth modding especially as we get closer to 2029…that Yoshino can pull 2000w and reach 80% charge in under an hour.

So there you go: for $1,500 you have a generator mode; say you drained the power plant on a cold night in January - remote start the truck, idle for awhile, shut er down, rinse repeat. And you can run solar panels directly into that power plant. Raise your hand if you want to idle on a 98 degree day in Moab to run your RTT AC unit while you take midday siesta ☀

Last edited:

tacotac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
It’s a big shame. For years Ford has allowed the hybrid f150 to power the outlet when engine is off for camping, despite the small battery as well.

another shame is the engineer mentioning that the TRD pro has an extra 0.5in of travel but the interviewer fails to ask how much total travel does the TRD has. It’s a big unknown so far. So is the payload.

kbreese72

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0 SCrew 4x4
Whoa...@ 6:01 of the video...What's up with the paint above the nerf rails? It's all bubbly...I hope that's not rust underneath. Either way it looks terrible.

Or wait...is that a reflection of the ground?? It's so deceiving lol

outcast

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Whoa...@ 6:01 of the video...What's up with the paint above the nerf rails? It's all bubbly...I hope that's not rust underneath. Either way it looks terrible.

It’s something Toyota always does

it’s like a rumble paint to help protect the paint from rocks and what not

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento

Also know as orange peel texture.....helps against rock chips.

kbreese72

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0 SCrew 4x4
Also know as orange peel texture.....helps against rock chips.
Fully aware of what orange peel is. 51 year old car-guy who used to be really into detailing, and have had a lot of experience with high-end paint shops and detailing shops. The reason I didn't use that term is because what I saw was well beyond your average orange peel.

That said, I still think I might just be seeing the reflection of the stones on the ground. The whole lower door panel looks terrible....must be the reflection.

For the record, I'm viewing @ 4k on a 36-inch monitor @ full screen.

univurshul

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
…I was thinking about the bed & exterior perimeter lighting kit on the TH & PRO and it would seem logical that they engineered the lighting suite to run off the hybrid battery vs the truck battery, so you’d have to assume that if you tie into the bed lights (or maybe even the left side bed 12v outlet is energized with the truck engine off) that this would be an opportunity to tie into the hybrid cell while the engine is off