Sponsored

2024 Tacoma Feedback & Comments: Will Tacomas still dominate and are you still buying one?

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Tacoma Off-Road; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
I wanted to start a separate thread to get everyone's general thoughts and feedback so far on what we know of the 24's now that we've seen pricing and more detailed specs for all the non-hybrid models. Also, if you were planning to buy one will you still and/or has it changed your model preference? Feel free to post your thoughts and comments.
Sponsored

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been reading through most of the review articles that were posted and have watched several of the videos today. Trying to stay focused on work (unsuccessfully haha). I have summarized my thoughts so far below. I’m sure a lot of you will disagree but this is kind of my thought process and assessment so far based on the pricing, review articles, and driving impressions so far.

Price: Like most of you I had hoped (evidently wishful thinking) for the 2024 to come in closer to the 23’s than they did. I think that when you factor in all of the new standard features, tons of upgrades (brakes, frame, engine, suspension, interior, etc), inflation, and the market as a whole for the midsized segment the new prices are reasonable and inline with is probably fair and competitive (enough). Again, I hoped that they would be lower, but when we look at what we’re getting now it’s actually pretty reasonable. They (most manufacturers) just don’t make bare bones trucks or cars anymore, consumers want more features and tech standard. Toyota held out as long as they could catching up and we’re seeing a bit of a price adjustment as a result. Toyota’s reputation also allows for them to command a bit of a premium, although I wouldn’t say they are really that out of line in most cases with others in the segment comparing apples to apples.

MPG’s: I also hopped to see a bigger improvement here. I was hoping to be surprised by how much better they were… I am no engineer, but I’m certain this is a much bigger feat than my simple mind is capable of comprehending. I guess looking at it glass half full we still saw incremental improvements with an overall far superior truck and in a whole new configuration. And to OUTCAST’s point an improvement in an AWD configuration that was previously 2WD in a couple cases.

Articles: To summarize most of the articles (not YouTubers), Toyota was the king of the midsized segment before. Will they continue to be? Yes. Most of the major complaints that everyone had about them have been addressed (with a few exceptions like rear legroom & features, and a handful of other items). I was actually a little surprised at how positive most of the articles were considering they weren't just Toyota fanboy type outfits. Most of the price related comments were also that it was justified and worth it in most cases.

Rob Motive: His numbers were complete BS. I also enjoy that as much as that caused lots of comments here he said absolutely nothing. Definition of click bait.

Closing thoughts: I will still buy the Trailhunter and I would guess most prospective 24’ buyers regardless of model will as well. It will be more than I predicted ($52k - $55k), but I still think it will come in within my tolerance (~$60k). Toyota has crushed the mid-sized segment for years despite some major deficiencies compared to the competition. They just make solid, reliable, and easily modifiable vehicles. Having addressed the vast majority of our big complaints (under powered, poor gearing, old ass tech, boring interior, etc) with overall reasonable price differences (again apples to apples) I will bet they have done more than enough to continue to dominate. I think they not only did *enough to stay top of the game, but really put effort into just making an overall better truck and a better experience for the truck owners. I have a bullet proof 05’ Tacoma that has made me a believer. I’ve had to modify the shit out of mine to get it a fraction of the way to what the new one will provide stock, so I’m still stoked. The real success criteria will be if their reliability for the 24’s is on par with previous generations. I believe they will be, but we will see in the next year or so once these reviewers get their hands on them and pack on some real world miles.

Sorry I know this is long, but I’ve been processing this all day and wanted to share my thoughts.

Manny991220

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 2018 SR5
I've been reading through most of the review articles that were posted and have watched several of the videos today. Trying to stay focused on work (unsuccessfully haha). I have summarized my thoughts so far below. I’m sure a lot of you will disagree but this is kind of my thought process and assessment so far based on the pricing, review articles, and driving impressions so far.

Price: Like most of you I had hoped (evidently wishful thinking) for the 2024 to come in closer to the 23’s than they did. I think that when you factor in all of the new standard features, tons of upgrades (brakes, frame, engine, suspension, interior, etc), inflation, and the market as a whole for the midsized segment the new prices are reasonable and inline with is probably fair and competitive (enough). Again, I hoped that they would be lower, but when we look at what we’re getting now it’s actually pretty reasonable. They (most manufacturers) just don’t make bare bones trucks or cars anymore, consumers want more features and tech standard. Toyota held out as long as they could catching up and we’re seeing a bit of a price adjustment as a result. Toyota’s reputation also allows for them to command a bit of a premium, although I wouldn’t say they are really that out of line in most cases with others in the segment comparing apples to apples.

MPG’s: I also hopped to see a bigger improvement here. I was hoping to be surprised by how much better they were… I am no engineer, but I’m certain this is a much bigger feat than my simple mind is capable of comprehending. I guess looking at it glass half full we still saw incremental improvements with an overall far superior truck and in a whole new configuration. And to OUTCAST’s point an improvement in an AWD configuration that was previously 2WD in a couple cases.

Articles: To summarize most of the articles (not YouTubers), Toyota was the king of the midsized segment before. Will they continue to be? Yes. Most of the major complaints that everyone had about them have been addressed (with a few exceptions like rear legroom & features, and a handful of other items). I was actually a little surprised at how positive most of the articles were considering they weren't just Toyota fanboy type outfits. Most of the price related comments were also that it was justified and worth it in most cases.

Rob Motive: His numbers were complete BS. I also enjoy that as much as that caused lots of comments here he said absolutely nothing. Definition of click bait.

Closing thoughts: I will still buy the Trailhunter and I would guess most prospective 24’ buyers regardless of model will as well. It will be more than I predicted ($52k - $55k), but I still think it will come in within my tolerance (~$60k). Toyota has crushed the mid-sized segment for years despite some major deficiencies compared to the competition. They just make solid, reliable, and easily modifiable vehicles. Having addressed the vast majority of our big complaints (under powered, poor gearing, old ass tech, boring interior, etc) with overall reasonable price differences (again apples to apples) I will bet they have done more than enough to continue to dominate. I think they not only did *enough to stay top of the game, but really put effort into just making an overall better truck and a better experience for the truck owners. I have a bullet proof 05’ Tacoma that has made me a believer. I’ve had to modify the shit out of mine to get it a fraction of the way to what the new one will provide stock, so I’m still stoked. The real success criteria will be if their reliability for the 24’s is on par with previous generations. I believe they will be, but we will see in the next year or so once these reviewers get their hands on them and pack on some real world miles.

Sorry I know this is long, but I’ve been processing this all day and wanted to share my thoughts.
I agreee im going with a trd offroad but im curios with packages I guess the next question is the roll out before this I was trying to get a bronco that was a mess!!
Robmotive is clickbait I agree he even posted a video with still wrong answers!!!
TRD jon has probably had the best videos!!And that Chloe and Of course TFL

TacomaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tacoma Limited
I had intended to wait for the 4th gen and after a lot of going back and forth, decided to pull the trigger on my 2023 Limited. I felt that the price was almost too good to pass up. I got it for 43,500 out the door. I felt good about getting the V6 as it would be the last of them. After buying it, I wondered if maybe I had made a mistake by not waiting for the 4th gen. I like the truck and was mostly looking forward to the idea of the newer tech on the 4th gen. I am a fan of technology advancements and the idea of replacing the V6 with a 4 cylinder was in theory, acceptable. However, I have had this nagging feeling that I just could not go wrong with the V6 when entertaining the idea of swapping out the 3rd gen for the new 4th gen with the 4 cylinder turbo and would be really pissed at myself if I had trouble with the 4 cylinder. Now, after learning about the pricing and considering the V6 reliability, I believe I made the right decision to buy the 3rd gen when I did and now feeling good about keeping it and I am really easy on my rigs and am confident that it will last me a long time.

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agreee im going with a trd offroad but im curios with packages I guess the next question is the roll out before this I was trying to get a bronco that was a mess!!
Robmotive is clickbait I agree he even posted a video with still wrong answers!!!
TRD jon has probably had the best videos!!And that Chloe and Of course TFL
Agreed, really like TRD Jon and TFL. Not familiar with Chloe. I think TFL is based near Denver, maybe Longmont? Basically neighbors haha. Yeah the packages are a bit of a wildcard still. I saw the other thread about a $9k package. That does seem ridiculous. For that much cheddar I imagine most people would be switching models.

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had intended to wait for the 4th gen and after a lot of going back and forth, decided to pull the trigger on my 2023 Limited. I felt that the price was almost too good to pass up. I got it for 43,500 out the door. I felt good about getting the V6 as it would be the last of them. After buying it, I wondered if maybe I had made a mistake by not waiting for the 4th gen. I like the truck and was mostly looking forward to the idea of the newer tech on the 4th gen. I am a fan of technology advancements and the idea of replacing the V6 with a 4 cylinder was in theory, acceptable. However, I have had this nagging feeling that I just could not go wrong with the V6 when entertaining the idea of swapping out the 3rd gen for the new 4th gen with the 4 cylinder turbo and would be really pissed at myself if I had trouble with the 4 cylinder. Now, after learning about the pricing and considering the V6 reliability, I believe I made the right decision to buy the 3rd gen when I did and now feeling good about keeping it and I am really easy on my rigs and am confident that it will last me a long time.
I'm sure you will be super happy. Worst case scenario you can sell in a couple years (and recoup most of your money) to move to the new engines once they've been tested longer. My decision was based on the fact that I am on such an old platform and really wanted to get all the bells and whistles with the TH. I hadn't planned to buy anything at all until I saw the TH and was pretty impressed with the 24's.

paulbdotcom

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma TRD OFFROAD
I am keeping my 2022 OR.
Reasons for not getting 2024:
1-MPG isn't good enough to transition to 4cyl
2-I am not crazy about any of the colors
3-Intrest rates are stupid right now
4-Unproven technology
5-I might move on from Tacoma (had them 20+ years) and go to Landcruiser

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am keeping my 2022 OR.
Reasons for not getting 2024:
1-MPG isn't good enough to transition to 4cyl
2-I am not crazy about any of the colors
3-Intrest rates are stupid right now
4-Unproven technology
5-I might move on from Tacoma (had them 20+ years) and go to Landcruiser
All valid points. If I had a 2022 it would be a tougher sell for sure. I like the new Landcruisers a lot. Need a few mods (at least 35's and some more rugged tires), but overall like them a lot. For our camping/overlanding stuff a truck has just been super convenient from a storage perspective. I'm not normally an "early adopter" with new tech per se, but the TH struck a nerve for me enough to want to move on from my 05.

paulbdotcom

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma TRD OFFROAD
All valid points. If I had a 2022 it would be a tougher sell for sure. I like the new Landcruisers a lot. Need a few mods (at least 35's and some more rugged tires), but overall like them a lot. For our camping/overlanding stuff a truck has just been super convenient from a storage perspective. I'm not normally an "early adopter" with new tech per se, but the TH struck a nerve for me enough to want to move on from my 05.
From what I've heard (rumor) there is going to be a shorter wheel-based Landcruiser. That's where I'd really like to be.... 4Runner could also be an option - depending on MPG and price too.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
I think the Prerunner especially the interior is a solid work truck and will get you up to the trailhead on weekends no problem. Mpg blows but I’d take that setup over the gen 3 personally.

I’m deposited back in June on TH. It’ll be expensive but the last truck (and vehicle) I bought was in ‘01. I’m overdue, I worked my ass off and I’m getting the rig I want…at least hope they can stamp enough of these for a ‘24 delivery. Lawd….

Drew

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Niro, 2002 Chevy Silverado
As someone looking at the Limited and Sport Premium, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. I was hoping for class-leading efficiency and a bit lower price for the options I want.

I'm still waiting to see the hybrid numbers, but the Land Cruiser and the Crown Signia are both looking more appealing at this point than they were before this reveal. As are the Colorado and Ranger. And the Ramcharger is another to watch. I don't doubt the Tacoma will remain successful, but it just isn't quite what I hoped, and I am not in a rush. I'd like to get back down to one vehicle, but my Silverado and Niro both work just fine.

tswift

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
I had honestly completely forgotten that they were splitting a couple trim levels into a "premium" version. It looks like they didn't release specific pricing for those. Is that the 8-9k package I've seen floating around today to get dual climate and the 14" screen?

Flyfish007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Explorer St
Was hoping to get a Sport with ventilated seats but it looks like that option will bring me to the Limited price so might as well go for the Limited. The only other truck I would consider would be a Canyon Denali but if Im dropping 55K on a truck I'm taking my chances with the Taco. I have a first production run 3rd gen sport and it is the best truck Ive owned.

4rsreed

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner

I’m in for the 2024 Tacoma OR SB I Force Max with the Premium Package hopefully in Bronze Oxide. I figure that MSRP will be around $57K which is about 5 to 6K more than I wanted to spend. I’m just going to need to be firm about the price and not be willing to go over MSRP. I suspect based on the reactions that I’ve seen on this site from the numbers and current trends of consumers calling “BS” on dealer markups from MSRP, I should be able to get the Taco I want. Otherwise, I can just wait on the sidelines until sanity comes back to the auto sales industry.

MisterFlabby

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
My car was good for my youth and I had a lot of fun with my boxer v6 legacy. However, with a baby on the way and the want to tow, I thought the SR5 Tacoma would be a good choice as all the safety features I had to pay extra for in my car are now standard in the SR5. I’m second guessing and might opt for a used tundra that has all the bells and whistles while not breaking the bank. No one has shown the car seat strap down points on the Tacoma yet. I don’t doubt the safety features but I need practicality and space for all the extra things I need to cart around now that a little human is expected to arrive in mid June.
Sponsored