Sponsored

2024 Tacoma Feedback & Comments: Will Tacomas still dominate and are you still buying one?

Starkhaus

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Taco Shopper
Overall I’m still in for it as a current ram owner. I agree pricing could’ve been better but there are a lot of upgrades for overall not THAT much more money.

I’m looking to do a TRD OR Hybrid once that comes around. Hoping it’s close to 45k
Sponsored

Ranger_5G

First Name
Dood_Bruh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '24 BMW IX Electric
I had a 2nd gen taco that I traded for my Ranger Tremor (which I love but back seats are small and so is the fuel tank for longer road trips). I'm paying it off in Feb 2025 and by then, both the hybrid Taco and Ranger will be readily availalbe (hopefully). But my current 2.3L turbo gives me 21mpg consistently with cheap gas.

However, I'm kinda bummed out on the mpg on the newer Taco (the 2.4 iForce does shit mpg and WORSE than the 6th gen Ranger) and this is with the SKIRT on. Most people will remove the skirt and milege will probably drop down to 19mpg combined and under. No worse than the current Canyon/Colorado. Not sure how much the hybrid will benefit but from my own research, the battery only seems to kick in for city commute. Highway miles will be consistent with non hybrid.

So I'm on the fence ...worst case, I'll put a camper shell on my Ranger and call it a day and enjoy zero truck payments for the next 5 years...lol. I already have 22k miles on mine without a single issue.

2024 Tacoma 2024 Tacoma Feedback & Comments: Will Tacomas still dominate and are you still buying one? IMG-1316

MisterFlabby

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
I had a 2nd gen taco that I traded for my Ranger Tremor (which I love but back seats are small and so is the fuel tank for longer road trips). I'm paying it off in Feb 2025 and by then, both the hybrid Taco and Ranger will be readily availalbe (hopefully). But my current 2.3L turbo gives me 21mpg consistently with cheap gas.

However, I'm kinda bummed out on the mpg on the newer Taco (the 2.4 iForce does shit mpg and WORSE than the 6th gen Ranger) and this is with the SKIRT on. Most people will remove the skirt and milege will probably drop down to 19mpg combined and under. No worse than the current Canyon/Colorado. Not sure how much the hybrid will benefit but from my own research, the battery only seems to kick in for city commute. Highway miles will be consistent with non hybrid.

So I'm on the fence ...worst case, I'll put a camper shell on my Ranger and call it a day and enjoy zero truck payments for the next 5 years...lol. I already have 22k miles on mine without a single issue.

IMG-1316.jpg
Clean and mean rig. I like it

outcast

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
I've been reading through most of the review articles that were posted and have watched several of the videos today. Trying to stay focused on work (unsuccessfully haha). I have summarized my thoughts so far below. I’m sure a lot of you will disagree but this is kind of my thought process and assessment so far based on the pricing, review articles, and driving impressions so far.

Price: Like most of you I had hoped (evidently wishful thinking) for the 2024 to come in closer to the 23’s than they did. I think that when you factor in all of the new standard features, tons of upgrades (brakes, frame, engine, suspension, interior, etc), inflation, and the market as a whole for the midsized segment the new prices are reasonable and inline with is probably fair and competitive (enough). Again, I hoped that they would be lower, but when we look at what we’re getting now it’s actually pretty reasonable. They (most manufacturers) just don’t make bare bones trucks or cars anymore, consumers want more features and tech standard. Toyota held out as long as they could catching up and we’re seeing a bit of a price adjustment as a result. Toyota’s reputation also allows for them to command a bit of a premium, although I wouldn’t say they are really that out of line in most cases with others in the segment comparing apples to apples.

MPG’s: I also hopped to see a bigger improvement here. I was hoping to be surprised by how much better they were… I am no engineer, but I’m certain this is a much bigger feat than my simple mind is capable of comprehending. I guess looking at it glass half full we still saw incremental improvements with an overall far superior truck and in a whole new configuration. And to OUTCAST’s point an improvement in an AWD configuration that was previously 2WD in a couple cases.

Articles: To summarize most of the articles (not YouTubers), Toyota was the king of the midsized segment before. Will they continue to be? Yes. Most of the major complaints that everyone had about them have been addressed (with a few exceptions like rear legroom & features, and a handful of other items). I was actually a little surprised at how positive most of the articles were considering they weren't just Toyota fanboy type outfits. Most of the price related comments were also that it was justified and worth it in most cases.

Rob Motive: His numbers were complete BS. I also enjoy that as much as that caused lots of comments here he said absolutely nothing. Definition of click bait.

Closing thoughts: I will still buy the Trailhunter and I would guess most prospective 24’ buyers regardless of model will as well. It will be more than I predicted ($52k - $55k), but I still think it will come in within my tolerance (~$60k). Toyota has crushed the mid-sized segment for years despite some major deficiencies compared to the competition. They just make solid, reliable, and easily modifiable vehicles. Having addressed the vast majority of our big complaints (under powered, poor gearing, old ass tech, boring interior, etc) with overall reasonable price differences (again apples to apples) I will bet they have done more than enough to continue to dominate. I think they not only did *enough to stay top of the game, but really put effort into just making an overall better truck and a better experience for the truck owners. I have a bullet proof 05’ Tacoma that has made me a believer. I’ve had to modify the shit out of mine to get it a fraction of the way to what the new one will provide stock, so I’m still stoked. The real success criteria will be if their reliability for the 24’s is on par with previous generations. I believe they will be, but we will see in the next year or so once these reviewers get their hands on them and pack on some real world miles.

Sorry I know this is long, but I’ve been processing this all day and wanted to share my thoughts.
Im with you on all this. Those are all the same thoughts I had in my head while I was scrolling through everything and reading trying to find any and all lil nuggets of info.

Biggest thing that I could find that got brought up with the reviews and first drives (with the limited time and certain courses they were allowed), all the reviewers just questioned the reliability of the engine.
We know Toyota tests the hell out of em because they are known for their reliability and with the tacoma being the best selling truck, like ever, they want to get it right just as much as we want them to get it right

I think the 4 banger will be just fine and serve admirably for years until the next remodel when the solid states batteries come out and we get a plug in hybrid

Desert4G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
I was somewhat not impressed by the MPG. Especially from the hybrid max. Pricing is higher than anticipated. And even more than what the Pro/TH will likely be. Seems like every trim is 10% over the previous gen. Since the Pro would be the only one I would get is expected to fetch nearly $60k if not more. I could price a 4x4 Tundra for this. And $60k for a midsize truck is insane. That will put me out of the market for one now and I will keep my Bronco. For a truck built in Mexico you would think labor rates wouldn't cause these huge price jumps. It makes the new Ranger Raptor at $55k look affordable and its everything more than the Pro. It wouldn't surprise me is Toyota falls into the same issues with every other manufacture out there with their expensive vehicles sitting on lots for hundreds of days. We may be back to the good old days of hefty dealer incentives to move these things if the trend continues.

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Tacoma Off-Road; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
I was somewhat not impressed by the MPG. Especially from the hybrid max. Pricing is higher than anticipated. And even more than what the Pro/TH will likely be. Seems like every trim is 10% over the previous gen. Since the Pro would be the only one I would get is expected to fetch nearly $60k if not more. I could price a 4x4 Tundra for this. And $60k for a midsize truck is insane. That will put me out of the market for one now and I will keep my Bronco. For a truck built in Mexico you would think labor rates wouldn't cause these huge price jumps. It makes the new Ranger Raptor at $55k look affordable and its everything more than the Pro. It wouldn't surprise me is Toyota falls into the same issues with every other manufacture out there with their expensive vehicles sitting on lots for hundreds of days. We may be back to the good old days of hefty dealer incentives to move these things if the trend continues.
I was definitely hoping for better MPG's as well. As for the gas mileage on the I-Force Max, that hasn't been released yet. Today was all about the non-hybrid models only. Although, I would guess it won't be a whole lot better but maybe week eke out another 1 - 2 mpg improvement. That was probably the only slightly disappointing piece for me. But I still think they checked an awful lot of boxes. Your points about cost make sense. At some point we all have to draw a line of what we're willing to pay for a vehicle. I am guessing that with trucks and cars both generally getting more standard features and "luxury" this will be an unfortunate trend. Personally I'm good with it, but I get where you're coming from for sure. TRD Jon has a great video that he shared about the cost comparisons that puts it into a better perspective drawing more comparisons between each. One of his main points is that while if you strictly look at model to model comparisons some are a significant increase, but when you really boil down the "standard" features it's actually a lot closer.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I still plan to buy, nothing changed. My prediction f or price was literally bang on so it's what I expected. The only thing that disappoints me is the premium package cost, so I'm going to have to play it by ear and have looooots of self control.

People are disappointed in fuel economy, but if I'm converting correctly to l/100k, it gets better economy than my Camry lmao.

The only thing that's giving me the ick, is that nasty nasty rev hang. I expected some rev hang, because it seems all modern vehicles have it, but sweet Jesus, breathe the wrong way and it sounds like it'll actually rev up instead of down lol. That rev hang I hope to god will be fixed on the production models and if not, I hope to god there's some sort of flash/tune to change it.

Teufel Taco

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota Tacoma
I will say this about the IForce Max…I was able to achieve an average MPG of 22.8 on my hybrid Tundra. I found that it drove in EV only more than advertised and was pleasantly surprised given the size and weight of that truck.

From what I’ve gathered, the Tacoma is adopting the same design as the Tundra, and although the size of the battery might be smaller, the Tacoma is considerably lighter weight and presumably has better aerodynamics than the Tundra. If I were a betting man I would say that the Tacoma would be able to travel for even longer distances and in more scenarios in EV only, which should translate into impressive “real world” MPG’s. Granted this would only apply to “normal” driving while being cognizant of efficiency.

wy3134

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dakota
pricing was on upper end of what i originally expected...what im disappointed about most is them playing up this switch to the 4cyl turbo engine and getting at best minimal gains in mpg over the previous v6.

more importantly, them nickel and diming customers wanting features a lot of companies package into their cars without having to do that, like $600 for heated seats. or $8800 for the premium sport package that will include all the options, but $9k added on is just ridiculous.

needless to say, i was set on getting a sport premium but when ur out the door at $50k, thats nearly real full size truck prices...for a toy truck.

im taking another look at the ranger and colorado at this point....toyota likely priced themselves out of a future customer with this release.

pez88

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
I’m in for the 2024 Tacoma OR SB I Force Max with the Premium Package hopefully in Bronze Oxide. I figure that MSRP will be around $57K which is about 5 to 6K more than I wanted to spend. I’m just going to need to be firm about the price and not be willing to go over MSRP. I suspect based on the reactions that I’ve seen on this site from the numbers and current trends of consumers calling “BS” on dealer markups from MSRP, I should be able to get the Taco I want. Otherwise, I can just wait on the sidelines until sanity comes back to the auto sales industry.
I'm thinking about the same model configuration. More that I expected but I guess I'll adjust my budget. I think you are right about your price estimate. Having said that, I wonder how close that will be to the Trailhunter?

4rsreed

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I'm thinking about the same model configuration. More that I expected but I guess I'll adjust my budget. I think you are right about your price estimate. Having said that, I wonder how close that will be to the Trailhunter?
I would expect the TH to run around $63-64K because they got to pay for the Snorkel, 3 Skid Plates & Rock Rails, ARB Bumper and Recovery Hooks, Head's Up Display, Old Man Emu Shocks and that silly looking Rack. I would think that the Pro will hit around $61K because they got to pay for some of the stuff plus the seats.

guitarist alec

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Tacoma Sport
Concerned, but hopeful that I will still buy a 2024 Tacoma if the hybrid mileage is an improvement over what I’m seeing right now for the ICE versions. Want the SPORT with the 6ft bed & Sunroof.

I haul sound gear for work, and when not working I tow an Aliner, with bikes and kayaks, so it totally fits the bill.

Not worried about MSRP, but won’t pay a dealer add on $

The only other truck I am considering is the Rivian which is twice as much and the bed is tiny.

BloodManDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra 2019
Driving impressions is what I expected. MPG is a bit disappointing, those Land Cruiser numbers hyped a lot of people up.

Was hoping to get a 4x4, iForceMax, and upgraded screen for 50k. Don't think that's gonna happen. Very surprised by the TRD OffRoad/Sport premium package price. I'll need to see the configurator and mess with some options.

Anything close to 55k and I'd rather get a Ranger Raptor, if I can find one. Colorado ZR2 isn't a bad deal either. Lastly there are some lightly used full size trucks for around the same price or less.

Alex on Autos is a good YouTube channel and made a detailed comparison for the midsize segment.

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tig
Looking at the Tacoma because of the manual, but if the TRD OR has the 360 view tied to a 9k package, the Ranger Raptor starts looking like a deal.

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Tacoma Off-Road; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
Concerned, but hopeful that I will still buy a 2024 Tacoma if the hybrid mileage is an improvement over what I’m seeing right now for the ICE versions. Want the SPORT with the 6ft bed & Sunroof.

I haul sound gear for work, and when not working I tow an Aliner, with bikes and kayaks, so it totally fits the bill.

Not worried about MSRP, but won’t pay a dealer add on $

The only other truck I am considering is the Rivian which is twice as much and the bed is tiny.
I saw a Rivian on Engineer Pass out here in CO last year and asked the guy how it performed. He said it was effortless. Makes sense with the HP and Torque. It was super cool to see out in the wild like that. I’m all in on the TH coming off a second gen, but I am a fan of the Rivians.
Sponsored